What Quest 3 can do for VAM VR

To get rid of jittering with vrperfkit and VD (without or with SteamVR), you have to disable the upscaling in vrperfkit.yml file:
I just removed vrperfkit. What else does it really do apart from the upscaling, that's what I was using it for.

I use the batch file as described in this post - https://hub.virtamate.com/threads/n00b-questions.46763/#post-139149

Have you tried that? VAM was unusable for me in VD when running through SteamVR much as you describe.
Yes, as a standard case I'm bypassing SteamVR via a launch batch file. That's when I see the rendering issue. I'll try @stylesi 's upscaling fix in my main install, and I am setting up an alternate clean installation for testing.

I was only running via SteamVR as a test. When I do, It, the render jitter is fixed, but the controllers disappear in VaM.

So I've not tried this yet, but this plugin looks *insane* - apparently totally cleans up your VaM installation without touching anything: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/vam-thin-twin-full-super-fast-load-times.30737/
Yes, I am subscribed user of Thin Twin and highly recommend it.

It works by creating links back to your main VaM installation, though, so in this case it was picking up the same VR issues. I've rebuilt my entire main installation today, though, and that seems to have fixed the VR/Virtual Desktop streaming problem. The issue was vrperf and some other things I had installed over the years and forgotten about.

Yes, I am subscribed user of Thin Twin and highly recommend it.

It works by creating links back to your main VaM installation, though, so in this case it was picking up the same VR issues. I've rebuilt my entire main installation today, though, and that seems to have fixed the VR/Virtual Desktop streaming problem. The issue was vrperf and some other things I had installed over the years and forgotten about.
I did say I had to remove vrperfkit to fix it on mine. Glad to hear you finally got it sorted!

I did say I had to remove vrperfkit to fix it on mine. Glad to hear you finally got it sorted!

Yup, thank you! It just took me a bit to rebuild a new installation. I've got crap going back to the early reddit days.

I just removed vrperfkit. What else does it really do apart from the upscaling, that's what I was using it for.
Fixed foveated rendering (render center of image at full resolution, but drop resolution towards edges), Variable Rate Shading for Nvidia

Fixed foveated rendering (render center of image at full resolution, but drop resolution towards edges), Variable Rate Shading for Nvidia
This, the fixed foveated rendering is what makes the perfkit really special. The thing is, that these vr tools can be fiddly to set up - you actually dont want the Upscaling (because big image quality loss) but you NEED to have the upscaling enabled for the fixed foveated to be enabled aswell. Heres how i set it up: Upscaling enabled but set to 1.0 (100% res, basically enabled upscaling so the fixed foveated can kick, but no actual upscaling happening), fixed foveated enabled -> results in full image quality for the center of your vision and vastly reduced image quality at the outer edges of your vision (which your actual eye cant pick up in full res anyways). In turn, this reduced image quality at the outer edges vastly reduces load on your GPU which really matters for overall FPS in VR play.

Last edited:
This, the fixed foveated rendering is what makes the perfkit really special. The thing is, that these vr tools can be fiddly to set up - you actually dont want the Upscaling (because big image quality loss) but you NEED to have the upscaling enabled for the fixed foveated to be enabled aswell. Heres how i set it up: Upscaling enabled but set to 1.0 (100% res, basically enabled upscaling so the fixed foveated can kick, but no actual upscaling happening), fixed foveated enabled -> results in full image quality for the center of your vision and vastly reduced image quality at the outer edges of your vision (which your actual eye cant pick up in full res anyways). In turn, this reduced image quality at the outer edges vastly reduces load on your GPU which really matters for overall FPS in VR play.
Ah, good point. I get upscaling and frame interpolation from Virtual Desktop anyway so the scaling in VRPerfkit isn't that useful. The FFR however might give another nice boost in frames.
I might try it again with those settings and see if it works this time and doesn't give the jitter that caused me to remove it.

Ah, good point. I get upscaling and frame interpolation from Virtual Desktop anyway so the scaling in VRPerfkit isn't that useful. The FFR however might give another nice boost in frames.
I might try it again with those settings and see if it works this time and doesn't give the jitter that caused me to remove it.
Ive used the perfkit exclusively with a link cable connection, id be very thankful if you share your findings/results for a virtualdesktop connection if you try it out. :)

Running VaM through steam with virtual desktop? Why would you ever! That's just throwing half your performance away.
If you have Virtual Desktop, DO NOT use SteamVR! Use the batch file.
I run VaM through steam vr/Virtual desktop with openvr_fsr mod, and get better perfomance than the batch file and same visuals. Plus then i can remap my controls easily. 73 fps vs 50 fps in my gpu test scene.

Has anyone else had vrperfkit stop working? I already tried quest 2 and 3 and they don't work, it started to fail in March, I also tried OpenVR-FSR-App and none of the options work... I don't know what the problem is.

Back
Top Bottom