4090 VAM performance?

Ascaoko

Reactions
I wasn't able to get a card during yesterday line up. I notice there are some scalper actually lining up before me.
So I am curious does anyone managed to get hold of a 4090 and try VAM?

I actually got one today for a stupid amount of money (in my eyes), from a shop. I'll do some testing on saturday probably, maybe sunday. I have to drain my loop and make a new route without GPU because no waterblock available. Could take some time.

I can upload some benchmark results then, something special you wanna know or have tested?
Right now I'm wondering if this chunk of metal will even fit in my case with installed reservoir, I somehow doubt it ... 🧐

edit: yes, I have to fully demontage my custom loop, nice 💪

Last edited:
I actually got one today for a stupid amount of money (in my eyes), from a shop. I'll do some testing on saturday probably, maybe sunday. I have to drain my loop and make a new route without GPU because no waterblock available. Could take some time.

I can upload some benchmark results then, something special you wanna know or have tested?
Right now I'm wondering if this chunk of metal will even fit in my case with installed reservoir, I somehow doubt it ... 🧐

edit: yes, I have to fully demontage my custom loop, nice 💪

Nice, I am looking to see in general how much performance gain for the MacGruber Benchmark plugin. Please included 1080 and some VR result if possible because its easier to compare how much gain compare to other result.

Also I notice you have 12700k - is it possible to add benchmark result with E core enable and disable? I heard it could be some performance with it disable but not 100% sure if apply to VAM.

In VR? We are talking about 4090 😎

I can have a 99% workload in VR no problems. 1.5 render scale, clothings, done.

maybe I have a problem with my computer.. in desktop mode, on a stage with 4 atoms, fps is reduced to 40.. while the load on the CPU and GPU does not exceed 40%

You are in a CPU bottleneck. Your GPU is not at around 100%. With a multicore processor, and VaM only using 4(?) cores, you cant reach 100% on your CPU, impossible. Only with a 4 core CPU or below.

It's all very strange

1665755676449.png

Ok this looks absolutely weird. All cores have 79C and you have only 4% usage, cant be. Looks like a displaying error in general.

VAM loads my 3070TI by about 30-40%... I think the 3090 won't help with performance in VaM :LOL:

Are you running in power saving mode some sort? Maybe should try run in high performance or Ryzen performance mode depends on which CPU you are using.

Also try keep hwinfo on background to see what's the actually power usage and core usage, maybe your OSD really is not working properly..

I just found this and it's actually very interesting and seems to be good made (direct timestamp link to the results):
(VR Test with 4090 vs 3090)

So, no surprise: 4090 could around double the fps vs 3090 if in a GPU bottleneck of course.

edit
@Ascaoko
You can view my results right here :)

Very interesting! Look like 4090 is great purchase for VAM if you are using it for VR
There is real bottleneck for 1080p running with 12700K

The best way to measure GPU utilization is with GPU-Z. It's a lightweight desktop app that you can run at the same time as vam. Startup GPU-Z then start vam. You can Alt-Tab to show GPU-Z when in desktop mode. Not sure if that works in VR.

GPU-Z is surely not lightweight
When running, GPU-Z only uses about 12 MB of RAM. That's what I mean by lightweight. All it does is monitor the GPU, VRAM, etc. based on sensors that are already in the system.

Windows Task Manager reports how much memory GPU-Z takes up. GPU-Z does a much better job of monitoring GPU resources than Task Manager. All GPU-Z does is present the data from the sensors in the GPU. It's not rendering or doing anything expensive in terms of its own CPU or RAM usage. The impact on the system of running GPU-Z is really minimal. Try it.

I really do not think in 99% of scenes, at this time , a GPU like 4090 is a requirement .

So far My 3080 Ti can easily handle every scene with great FPS.

For me to buy the super expensive 4090 , there should be a good motivation .

You have to differentiate between desktop and VR cause second one is a lot more demanding. 4090 is perfect for that.

Back
Top Bottom