Question Why don't more people upload Timeline animation files instead of scene VARs?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
It seems like most people here use the excellent Timeline plugin by @Acid Bubbles but I don't think I've ever seen anyone upload or share a Timeline animation file by itself. When I create these they are saved as json and jpg files in my PluginData folder. I'm assuming I could upload these for others to use, correct? Everyone here just seems to package their scene as a var file and uploads that.

Am I missing something and uploading Timeline animation files in their native json format is frowned upon? If not, why don't more people do it? I'll bet if more people did there would be enough animations to populate it's own forum thread and resource category. It would probably also cut down on the server space this hub uses. I know there are some large var file scenes I've downloaded that all I really needed was the small size Timeline animation file so I could add my own look and background.

Good animation usually requires a particular look and environment around it. Because the character would be touching itself, other characters or the environment. If the character has different proportions (i.e. bigger boobs or different body height) or the asset is 5cm further to the left, the animation would not align anymore and loose its magic.

Shipping things as a ready-made scene is much easier for your players. You can still export the animations and use them elsewhere with some adjustments.

Upvote 0
Timeline animations are usually more than just the keyframes. Unless you want just simple loops, you also want some kind of triggering behind it for various reasons.
A scene carries all that, whether you need everything or not, as the Timeline animations are usually connected to other parts to deliver some quality of user experience.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom