Answered Why is Package Builder creating a .var folder instead of a .var file?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
I'm getting closer to finally sharing some Looks I created but it seems like a weird problem pops up whenever I get to the final step.

Last month I used Package Builder to output a few Looks I made and I got the standard .var file and a depends txt file we all see here when we download a Look. Perfect! So I spent the last couple weeks creating several nice Looks to share with you guys, followed the same procedure with Package Builder as last month and this time I got .var folders instead of a single .var file (and no depends .txt file).

I'm assuming the process VaM uses to "zip" or compress all the files and folders needed for a Look into one single .var file is not working for me any more. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Do I need to reinstall VaM?

Or is there something else I did or forgot to do that would cause folders to be created instead of a .var file?

Since every Look I've downloaded here on the hub has been a .var file (with the depends txt file) and not a folder I'm scratching my head to figure out what's going on.

By the way, if it matters, inside the .var folder are two more folders (Custom and Saves) and a meta.json file.

Last edited:
Finished/finalized .var packages (with obsolete depend.txt) are outputed inside AddonsPackages

.var folders are inside AddonsPackageBuilder, as you add content inside VaM package builder this folder is auto generated/populated.
After creating package, they still remain there (basically unpacked version of your package).

If same package(version) already exists, it might prevent you from finalizing it...you might need to delete(move) folder with same name(version).
I can't remember exact steps for this to occur but it happened to me once.

Upvote 0
Finished/finalized .var packages (with obsolete depend.txt) are outputed inside AddonsPackages

A-ha!! Thank you! That explains it. The first time I did this I must have looked in the AddonsPackage folder and today I looked in the AddonsPackageBuilder folder for some reason (I think the instructions may have led me there unless I mis-read it). Anyhow, thanks for the quick response!

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom