What sort of CUAs do people want?

Jiraiya

Reactions
I have made quite a few. I did some furniture and random objects, some Sci-Fi stuff.
There are loads on the hub.
I haven't actually seen much use made of my more interesting assets, so what do people want?
I was looking at the Destiny related looks, Mara Sov etc and wondered if people would like a ghost to go with them? Maybe some Destiny scenery?

What is it people are looking for in a CUA?

Thank you very much for the quality of your work, but as far as the current way VAM 1.x is rendered, many scenes do not work as expected. I think some players, including me, tend to prefer MMD background CUA, and there are too few CUAs for MMD backgrounds at the moment with ambient light and vam1.x.

I think some "distressed" furniture items would be good to have. A metal bed frame with rust and a dirty, torn mattress on it. There's a dirty mattress around, but only as part of some CUA scenes. A dingy, damaged motel room would be good too. Things that Joel and Ellie might find in their travels...

I did use your barrel prop. I added it to a spitroast scene to provide some support.

A courtroom and courthouse. More mcu stuff.

Also I've downloaded all your stuff. Will go back and show it the love it deserves.

I think some "distressed" furniture items would be good to have. A metal bed frame with rust and a dirty, torn mattress on it. There's a dirty mattress around, but only as part of some CUA scenes. A dingy, damaged motel room would be good too. Things that Joel and Ellie might find in their travels...

I did use your barrel prop. I added it to a spitroast scene to provide some support.
Is this the sort of thing you wanted?
Not a motel room, but a whole building. It needs filling with furniture but I didn't find any suitable pieces for it yet.

Not a motel room, but a whole building. It needs filling with furniture but I didn't find any suitable pieces for it yet.
Thanks for checking. Yes, that's a good villa. I've started using this one too:

Heyo, just like @SlimerJSpud says that if you could include some furniture or equipment it would definitely help! The "old village house" is almost too complicated with all the trees, cua animated deer but it is pretty detailed so it is easier for me to create an animation since I don't have to put the furniture myself and think about how it should look so it looks like a living room or something.

Anything that is basically "ready" to be animated in is perfect.

And just like that some furniture has been added.
These are the matching props from the original asset source (Unity asset store free download). so match the style.
You will have to manually place them as assets because I wasn't decorating the whole damn villa, they also don't have colliders atm. Let me know if you think colliders would be better but adding a basic box collider as required in VaM seems easier on the physics sim.

And just like that some furniture has been added.
These are the matching props from the original asset source (Unity asset store free download). so match the style.
You will have to manually place them as assets because I wasn't decorating the whole damn villa, they also don't have colliders atm. Let me know if you think colliders would be better but adding a basic box collider as required in VaM seems easier on the physics sim.

Thanks! That helps a lot. I think adding colliders would be nice, since some people might not know how to and others won't like adding it themselves.

Overall it's great that we have such a huge place with a lot of possibilities, on the other hand I think that maybe focusing on smaller environments that would be furnitured straight away w/o the need to add anything might result in bigger usage by the community.

I will speak for myself now, but I feel like that most will have a similar opinion.

When I look for an environment I usually have an idea how it should look - Old dirty house/room, Modern looking bedroom/living room, dark moody street or something more futuristic... Basically I match the environment with the theme of each video - is it horror/thriller styled or just a casual nsfw video, or something that is tied to an existing universe (Resident Evil, Superheroes - marvel,dc; Overwatch, fantasy)... So I usually don't look for an environment that I will have to build myself and decide whether a sofa should be in this corner or a bed in the other etc.

Generally speaking - "smaller" but overall prepped and designed environments that will be stylized will IMO be better and will get downloaded way more.

right now I work on a Resident evil themed video and I use this environment:

it is creepy enough to fit the RE theme, spacious enough so that I have plenty of options to build a whole story in it and the rooms are furnitured and ready to be used if needed.

Either way thank you for sharing the villa with us and I hope to see more great environments from you in the future. If you'd like to discuss anything feel free to message me.

Also I just checked the "cyber home" you ported, which is a great asset, but for me it would be even better if the lighting wasn't prebaked or that there would be variations to choose from. Now if I want to add a character in the scene I have to go and try to lit her up so that she matches the environment - most of the time I just turn off all lights and skyboxes and lit everything myself - I tend to light things from "practical source" so that if there's table lamp I will add a light into it and use that as a light source. This way I have a lit environment as well as the character and then people who will watch it will know where the light is coming from and the whole thing is more believable.

Again this just might be my process of doing stuff, so take it only as an opinion:D

Also I just checked the "cyber home" you ported, which is a great asset, but for me it would be even better if the lighting wasn't prebaked or that there would be variations to choose from. Now if I want to add a character in the scene I have to go and try to lit her up so that she matches the environment - most of the time I just turn off all lights and skyboxes and lit everything myself - I tend to light things from "practical source" so that if there's table lamp I will add a light into it and use that as a light source. This way I have a lit environment as well as the character and then people who will watch it will know where the light is coming from and the whole thing is more believable.

Again this just might be my process of doing stuff, so take it only as an opinion:D
Sadly, with the Cyberhome the model was very much designed for low CPU use on the Quest headsets. I get no choice in the lighting without re-texturing everything.
I can't/don't take credit for the amazing work the original modellers have done with the assets I port and sadly I don't have the time or talent to re-texture something as lovely as the cyberhome asset.
I agree it's a little frustrating but overall it maintains the "feel" of the original which I actually quite like.

I am always on the lookout for cool assets to port over, especially environments. I particularly want to get some more sci-fi stuff especially Star Wars scenes. I was working on a large set from the Death Star but wasn't happy with how it was coming out, and it takes ages. I might pick it up again. The Rebel ship corridor came out really well I think as did Jabba's Palace.

Lastly I have been playing with 3D scanning actual environments. Mostly my own rooms. While it would be weird to share them the main reason I have not is I am not happy with the results yet. Photogrametry and lidar scanning have come a long way, but the post-processing cleanup sucks.

Sadly, with the Cyberhome the model was very much designed for low CPU use on the Quest headsets. I get no choice in the lighting without re-texturing everything.
I can't/don't take credit for the amazing work the original modellers have done with the assets I port and sadly I don't have the time or talent to re-texture something as lovely as the cyberhome asset.
I agree it's a little frustrating but overall it maintains the "feel" of the original which I actually quite like.

I am always on the lookout for cool assets to port over, especially environments. I particularly want to get some more sci-fi stuff especially Star Wars scenes. I was working on a large set from the Death Star but wasn't happy with how it was coming out, and it takes ages. I might pick it up again. The Rebel ship corridor came out really well I think as did Jabba's Palace.

Lastly I have been playing with 3D scanning actual environments. Mostly my own rooms. While it would be weird to share them the main reason I have not is I am not happy with the results yet. Photogrametry and lidar scanning have come a long way, but the post-processing cleanup sucks.

I see, you've done a really good job porting the cyber room and like I said it is just the way I use environments - so it's not needed in most of the cases, people will just slap few lights there and take screenshots or just go and try and match it. For most this is not a big deal and it's great that you want to share the assets with us.

I went through your resources previously and saw a lot of star wars related content + your avatar is telling a lot:D So I figured you'd want to do some more. Unfortunately for me I do not plan doing any starwars animation as of now, but I will do one with Samus Aran and that Sci-fi tunnel might be handy! It looks clean. Although, for me I would love the option to be able to open the doors - a simple sliding door up and down or split them in half and I would animate it with timeline so that they slide from each other. No need for fancy script (although that would be even better) but just making it as a separate CUA is enough.

The 3D scanning environments I have seen and tried to open up in VAM looked quite nice - since it is a real environment but scanned. But I don't really like them - the girls models even though they're pretty high quality and the textures are 8k often times, they still look very much CGI, so combining these two methods is something I won't be looking into. Some might like it for posing and taking screenshots, because if you blur the image out and focus mainly on the girl, you end up with a really good looking image.

Are there any Destiny (the game) fans? I was playing with some ripped game models and put a couple of Destiny assets together, there are already some of the characters on here, Mara, Petra, Exo Stranger etc so would people be interested in some assets to place them in scenes?

Are there any Destiny (the game) fans? I was playing with some ripped game models and put a couple of Destiny assets together, there are already some of the characters on here, Mara, Petra, Exo Stranger etc so would people be interested in some assets to place them in scenes?
I personally didn't play this game nor have much interest in it. I also can't speak for the whole community on this, there might be some people who'd be interested and will like to use it. Currently the hype is imo around Resident Evil as there has been RE4 remake released just a couple weeks ago, also RE has always had a big community of fans so that's always an option.

Yeah, I get that. It seems there are already others working on the RE stuff though, so not much point me doing the same.
I have tried to bring something that doesn't exist with the assets I port. I was playing again with 3D scanning my own objects and made a lovely model of my own sofa. I will see how it looks in VaM and if things go well I might try doing photogrametry scans of irl objects to import into VaM rather than models ripped from other places.

Yeah, I get that. It seems there are already others working on the RE stuff though, so not much point me doing the same.
I have tried to bring something that doesn't exist with the assets I port. I was playing again with 3D scanning my own objects and made a lovely model of my own sofa. I will see how it looks in VaM and if things go well I might try doing photogrametry scans of irl objects to import into VaM rather than models ripped from other places.
Sounds good, good luck and will be looking forward to see new stuff from you!

I can only speak for myself but I want more “real life“ environments and environmental details with CCBY. Basically everything is useful, from basketball courts to locker rooms, universities, beaches, clubs, a gym with some stands, parking lots and so on

More houses would be nice. I can basically only find one house so I started to learn to make them in unity myself..

Backgrounds for outdoor CUA like small cities, rural areas, Parks and so on.

I can only speak for myself but I want more “real life“ environments and environmental details with CCBY. Basically everything is useful, from basketball courts to locker rooms, universities, beaches, clubs, a gym with some stands, parking lots and so on

More houses would be nice. I can basically only find one house so I started to learn to make them in unity myself..

Backgrounds for outdoor CUA like small cities, rural areas, Parks and so on.

I back this up!

There are LOADS of that sort of thing on the unity asset store and all around the web. Lots of modellers provide them as "free" samples to promote their work.
I might grab some more random stuff and upload.
There are already locker rooms for VaM. I don't remember seeing a basketball court or such, but I bet there is one.
I will play.

I have spent time recently learning more about modelling myself. I have been "fixing" 3D scans in blender and modelling from scratch too so I hope to be able to make some original assets in the future.

There are two locker rooms, a basketball court and a skatepark in vam store. I didnt say there arent, just wanted to say that I use this stuff.

As Im a still new to all this, I got all my stuff from VAM store, I will expand my search to unity soon, good advice. Cheers!

Back
Top Bottom