Question What does Local Rotation/Position Grid do?

bill_prime

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Website
www.buymeacoffee.com
I've read the wiki which was not very useful, searched this forum, tried playing around with atoms in VAM.
I have no idea what the point of these options are that take up 25% of the Move page lol.

Position grid snaps a position to the grid. For example if your grid size is 10cm (= 0.1m) and you position an atom at 0.678 / 2.341 / -0.567 then it would automatically snap to 0.7 / 2.3 / -0.6. Rotation grid works the same, just with rotations, so you snap your rotation to 30 or 45 degree increments.
What would you use this for? Well, think of the many scenes that have walls of buttons for configuration. You would want them all aligned nicely? Also if you have asset kits where you build a room out of a selection of matching assets, for example my SecretRoom is build for a 10cm grid.

Using VaM's native UI its indeed not that helpful, because you would just use the buttons to move/rotate. But the grid becomes really powerful / helpful when you use PowerHandles (part of my Essentials plugin set) in Desktop mode. Because with that you only need to hold SPACE while moving/rotating to snap to the grid:

Upvote 0
Position grid snaps a position to the grid. For example if your grid size is 10cm (= 0.1m) and you position an atom at 0.678 / 2.341 / -0.567 then it would automatically snap to 0.7 / 2.3 / -0.6. Rotation grid works the same, just with rotations, so you snap your rotation to 30 or 45 degree increments.
What would you use this for? Well, think of the many scenes that have walls of buttons for configuration. You would want them all aligned nicely? Also if you have asset kits where you build a room out of a selection of matching assets, for example my SecretRoom is build for a 10cm grid.

Using VaM's native UI its indeed not that helpful, because you would just use the buttons to move/rotate. But the grid becomes really powerful / helpful when you use PowerHandles (part of my Essentials plugin set) in Desktop mode. Because with that you only need to hold SPACE while moving/rotating to snap to the grid:
That definitely would have been helpful to know earlier! I am already using power handles but never used the SPACE key.
Thanks for the detailed description MacGruber.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom