VAR Manager

Other VAR Manager

Same loop happening again. I just clicked "Restore All referenced vars" and now it's stuck.

Please revert whatever you did last time. Now everything just stuck and no vars adding.

What happens to duplicate items after we select them? I understand they're hidden, how do we unhide them? Where do they go?

bill_prime updated VAR Manager with a new update entry:

Changed to .NET 6.0, SETTINGS WILL BE RESET!

Changed to .NET 6.0.

I found that the app wouldn't even open after a Windows update... thanks M$

IF YOU WANT TO RESTORE YOUR SETTINGS
  1. Open new app in desired location, then close it.
  2. Open File Explorer, navigate to: %localappdata%\VAMvarmanager
  3. Sort by date modified, find the second newest folder, open latest version folder within that folder (.28 probably).
  4. This should have your old configuration user.config file
  5. Copy this...

Read the rest of this update entry...

This doesnt unfortunately seem to work properly atm, very buggy and complains about broken files (non existing).

However, there is a very good alternative, which I have been using for many months:
https://github.com/feelfar/varManager/releases

Also this is good to reduce file sizes:
Pesadilla Deduplicator

Maybe you could think about merging some ideas from above tools to yours?

I purposely built my version of VARManager with 2 concepts in mind:
- No modifying/extracting of .var files.
- No complicated symlink design.

There are surely other apps that can do more with deduplication of files, etc., but I wanted something that is very compatible with sharing/creating content on HUB.

That being said, I would be interested to know what bugs you are running into and examples of .var files that are coming up as broken. I built this app assuming .zip compression, but there could be some files that are .rar or something that would cause issues (as well as broken/unreadable archives).

Same loop happening again. I just clicked "Restore All referenced vars" and now it's stuck.

Can confirm this is happening to me as well.

It also removes VARs that are included in my default presets.

I just picked this up so I haven't seen it in its functional state, but from my understanding, I think the whole thing might be malfunctioning for me. All I want to do is only include the vars used in my presets. So I check all the boxes for "Scan local presets for References" and run "Back up unreferenced VARs" right?

Can confirm this is happening to me as well.

It also removes VARs that are included in my default presets.

I just picked this up so I haven't seen it in its functional state, but from my understanding, I think the whole thing might be malfunctioning for me. All I want to do is only include the vars used in my presets. So I check all the boxes for "Scan local presets for References" and run "Back up unreferenced VARs" right?

I do not understand why the loop is happening for some users. The Restore All Referenced Vars function restores referenced .vars from your backup directory, then scans all active .vars again to see if it needs to restore more .vars. It will do this loop until there are no more dependent vars to restore.
I was not sure how to address the issues users are having, I will need to add some debugging information or make some core changes to how that function works. Haven't had much time to address this sorry, but any users having this issue please let me know any details.

If you only want to include .vars used in your presets, the best way to do that is to backup everything (Select all Types, Backup All Specific-Type vars) and then restore all needed .vars selecting all the boxes as you said. I know you are having issues with the restore function, but let me know if that works for you.

I do not understand why the loop is happening for some users. The Restore All Referenced Vars function restores referenced .vars from your backup directory, then scans all active .vars again to see if it needs to restore more .vars. It will do this loop until there are no more dependent vars to restore.
I was not sure how to address the issues users are having, I will need to add some debugging information or make some core changes to how that function works. Haven't had much time to address this sorry, but any users having this issue please let me know any details.

If you only want to include .vars used in your presets, the best way to do that is to backup everything (Select all Types, Backup All Specific-Type vars) and then restore all needed .vars selecting all the boxes as you said. I know you are having issues with the restore function, but let me know if that works for you.

Maybe var number affect it? I've 18k vars in my backup folder. But then sometimes it doesn't loop and most of times it's just stuck.

Rebuilt Restore All Referenced vars function, added Skip Favorites option for backup procedures.

• Rebuilt Restore All Referenced vars functions:
    • Much faster now, doesn't scan all files on each loop unnecessarily.
    • Fixed issue with Restore All Referenced vars function with Restore Exceptions not moving files.
  • Added Skip Favoritesoption, for use with Backup functions:
    • Will skip backing up any .var file that has any item within it set as a favorite.
    • Will save this state of this setting when you re-open VAR Manager...

Maybe var number affect it? I've 18k vars in my backup folder. But then sometimes it doesn't loop and most of times it's just stuck.

If you were using Restore All Referenced vars function with Restore Exceptions then that would have been a problem. Try new version.

If you were using Restore All Referenced vars function with Restore Exceptions then that would have been a problem. Try new version.

No i didn't use RESTORE ALL REFERENCEDD VARS with Restore exceptions. OK i'll try new version and let you know if loop is still happening

So the exceptions don't seem to work for me. I check off a few core folders I don't want the program to touch, but regardless of what settings I try, it still moves folders from my exceptions list. What am I doing wrong?

Somehow this last update fixed loop. Thank you very much! Very usefull tool!

So the exceptions don't seem to work for me. I check off a few core folders I don't want the program to touch, but regardless of what settings I try, it still moves folders from my exceptions list. What am I doing wrong?

That is strange, which button are you using on the interface?
One thing to note is there are different exceptions for Backup and Restore.
If you have the Restore Exceptions checked off, then no exceptions will be used for the backup functions. Visa versa for the Backup Exceptions checkbox.

Reworked Specific-Type selection, added AND/OR/NOT for each type. Added filter for hidden items.

• Reworked Specific-Type selection, added AND/OR/NOT for each type.
    • OR = includes any files that have this type
    • AND = includes any files that have this type AND all other types with AND selected
    • NOT = includes any files that do NOT have the selected type(s)
    • Click header bar (OR/AND/NOT) to select all/deselect all.
    • View attachment 135242
  • Added filter for hidden items. (Don't Count Hidden Items checkbox above)
    • ie...

It would be super useful if i could just select single scene and load all dependencies for that scenes.

Please make it possible.

suggestion: could you add a view to build a dependency tree or graph for each var or specific var? I would like to see where some vars are used and possibly manually delete them.

Added function to scan JayJayWon's UI Assist profiles for references.

Added option to scan JayJayWon's UI Assist profiles for .var references.
View attachment 155103

Credit to JayJayWon for the amazing plugin!

Back
Top Bottom