VAR Manager

Other VAR Manager

• Now pulls creatorname from meta.json instead of parsing filename. Slightly slower, but better handing for incorrectly named .vars (Heathens! 👿 ).
Dunno if this is of any importance... 🤷‍♂️
Just sharing info, creator names from meta (with_underscore) vs references/dependecies (without underscore).
example:
ps. if you wanna someone to remove/edit long review (error log), you first have to remove reply from it (to unlock remove option for user)

Just sharing info, creator names from meta (with_underscore) vs references/dependecies (without underscore).
example:
ps. if you wanna someone to remove/edit long review (error log), you first have to remove reply from it (to unlock remove option for user)

I see! I think I broke my backup unreferenced .vars in my last update for creator names with spaces.
I'm gonna remove it and do some more testing with various .vars to check the best way to handle it, Thanks!
ps. also thanks for the tip about the review.

example:

Also, do you know how the package builder/meta.json file handles package names with spaces?

Also, do you know how the package builder/meta.json file handles package names with spaces?
All i know is what i wrote in that Q&A test (i wanted to verify, if there are some possible issues or just another VaM leftover thing).

So far, what i got from testing: if creator use name with space, package builder is gonna create final .var package with space.
But for some reason it's gonna add underscore inside meta (so it looks like 2 different names). :cautious:
Package manager reads info from package meta (so it prints name with underscore, top right), but also actual (different) package name on packages list. 🤣

Good thing is that any references to that package use actual package name without underscore, same with references inside scene/preset/look/etc...
and dependencies inside meta.

EDIT: This is only true for creatorName part, packageName can't have spaces (underscore is a must, inside meta and actual var packageName)

Last edited:
All i know is what i wrote in that Q&A test (i wanted to verify, if there are some possible issues or just another VaM leftover thing).

So far, what i got from testing: if creator use name with space, package builder is gonna create final .var package with space.
But for some reason it's gonna add underscore inside meta (so it looks like 2 different names). :cautious:
Package manager reads info from package meta (so it prints name with underscore, top right), but also actual (different) package name on packages list. 🤣

Good thing is that any references to that package use actual package name without underscore, same with references inside scene/preset/look/etc...

I just updated it so it will always replace space with underscore when building indexes/filtering. Should work fine for these cases.

Hello!

Great tool!

Is it possible to back up vars that are unreferenced in <VAM_ROOT>\Saves\scene\ ? I have a lot of self modified scenes there and it would be great to be able to back all vars that are not referenced by those scenes.

Thanks!

Hello!

Great tool!

Is it possible to back up vars that are unreferenced in <VAM_ROOT>\Saves\scene\ ? I have a lot of self modified scenes there and it would be great to be able to back all vars that are not referenced by those scenes.

Thanks!

You can accomplish that by packing those scenes into a new .var package using the in-game package builder. It will build a package with all the needed references and then it will be compatible with this tool.
I have a similar use case, and also have been thinking about dependencies for saved appearance/clothing presets etc. but this tool is really focused on parsing the .var files only and fully utilizing the dependency system.

You can accomplish that by packing those scenes into a new .var package using the in-game package builder. It will build a package with all the needed references and then it will be compatible with this tool.
I have a similar use case, and also have been thinking about dependencies for saved appearance/clothing presets etc. but this tool is really focused on parsing the .var files only and fully utilizing the dependency system.
Yeah I sort of figured that was one way to do it... Just that I never packed a var myself before. Will give it a try.

bill_prime updated VAR Manager with a new update entry:

Reverted changes for reading creatorname/package name from var file, fixing some issues.

Thanks to RandomVAMUser pointing out some specifics on how the dependencies are built.
I realized the dependencies are really focused on the file name more than anything, so I reverted the code the parse the file name first and then fall back to reading the meta.json for the creator/packagename if the file is named incorrectly.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Added function to disable PreloadMorphs on all .vars

Having many .vars with preloadMorphs set can slow down VAM and make it difficult to find specific morphs. This function creates the package preference file to disable the preload morphs function on any .var that has this set.
  • Added function to disable the preloadMorphs setting on all vars. This will create/update the .prefs file in the \AddonPackagesUserPrefs folder setting preloadMorphs to false.
    • DOES NOT ALTER VARS IN ANY WAY
  • Function available...

Added function to disable PreloadMorphs on all .vars

Having many .vars with preloadMorphs set can slow down VAM and make it difficult to find specific morphs. This function creates the package preference file to disable the preload morphs function on any .var that has this set.
  • Added function to disable the preloadMorphs setting on all vars. This will create/update the .prefs file in the \AddonPackagesUserPrefs folder setting preloadMorphs to false.
    • DOES NOT ALTER VARS IN ANY WAY
  • Added function to...

When it says "Scans files for dependencies" - which files is it scanning? I saved a scene - then run backup all unreferenced and it moved a var the scene depended on.

When it says "Scans files for dependencies" - which files is it scanning? I saved a scene - then run backup all unreferenced and it moved a var the scene depended on.

Var Manager only manages .var packages and the packages they depend on. If you create/edit a scene you will need to use the VAM Package builder to make a new .var with the proper references built into it (Var Manager scans the meta.json file within the packages for dependencies).

BIG update, added Duplicate Item Resolver. Resolve and hide duplicate clothing/hair items.

• Added Duplicate Item Resolverform/functions.
    • Function is to automatically hide all duplicate items (clothing/hair) in your VAM configuration, leaving only 1 "master" item active.
    • Searches all active items of the chosen type (clothing or hair) & sex in your VAM var configuration.
    • Automatically finds a "master" var for each distinct item
      • The idea is to disable all duplicates for each distinct item except for the item in the master...

Back
Top Bottom