VAMStory
@hazmhox I don't know where to ask for help but I did a rather substantial story and it took mehours and it was OK when I wnet to pack it down and after I 've uploaded the var to the hub people started messaging me that they couldnt start it. When I went to look, the buttons from VAMstory didn't function anymore and the dialogue seems to have disappeard. I don't know how to restore the backups because it says itäs not compatible. The only thing I did between finishing and packing it was I changed the name of the file from a number to a title. Vam story seems to have been compeltely disabled and messed up between that. Do you have any ideas how I can get my work back? I stupidly only worked on one file so I don't have any to go back to and I don't know how to use the backups

@hazmhox I don't know where to ask for help but I did a rather substantial story and it took mehours and it was OK when I wnet to pack it down and after I 've uploaded the var to the hub people started messaging me that they couldnt start it. When I went to look, the buttons from VAMstory didn't function anymore and the dialogue seems to have disappeard. I don't know how to restore the backups because it says itäs not compatible. The only thing I did between finishing and packing it was I changed the name of the file from a number to a title. Vam story seems to have been compeltely disabled and messed up between that. Do you have any ideas how I can get my work back? I stupidly only worked on one file so I don't have any to go back to and I don't know how to use the backups
Something essential is that the plugin(s) must be enabled at all times, especially at scene load.
I've used the backups, manual ones only though as a kind of preset, and they've worked well so far. Worst case scenario would be to open them with a text editor and copy the story text to a new story.
Do you still have a working local scene to use?

Something essential is that the plugin(s) must be enabled at all times, especially at scene load.
I've used the backups, manual ones only though as a kind of preset, and they've worked well so far. Worst case scenario would be to open them with a text editor and copy the story text to a new story.
Do you still have a working local scene to use?
Yeah the timeline stuff is all there. I tried to delete Vamstory from the scene and re add it to start from scratch but vamstory doesn't want to work in this scene anymore. I might have to do it with regular vanilal buttons if nothing else.

I found the text I've weritten in the json file now too, so not all is lost, Only need to get vamstory workign again and I can do it from scratch

I don't know why it deos this? Alll the stuff is in teh json I don't understand why the game isn't reading it correctly.All this becaseu OI changed the name?

Last edited:
Yeah the timeline stuff is all there. I tried to delete Vamstory from the scene and re add it to start from scratch but vamstory doesn't want to work in this scene anymore. I might have to do it with regular vanilal buttons if nothing else.

I found the text I've weritten in the json file now too, so not all is lost, Only need to get vamstory workign again and I can do it from scratch

I don't know why it deos this? Alll the stuff is in teh json I don't understand why the game isn't reading it correctly.All this becaseu OI changed the name?
Don't know why the backup won't work, used it several times (VAMStory Action/Director) as a kind of preset, not Story though.

Don't know why the backup won't work, used it several times (VAMStory Action/Director) as a kind of preset, not Story though.
I don't know how t
I usually make my own backups. But this story was only going to be a quick affair, but it developed into something more and bigger, however I just kept working on that one file. The only time I don't follow my standard procedures and this happens. Oh well, thank you @atani , for your help, you've at least given me a few good ideas I can use when I try to recreate it.

As Atani was asking, does your scene work locally? If not that's gonna be hard.
You can zip your folder and send it to me so that I can check.

If your renaming was the scene itself, it does not matter at all. The scene json does not has any effect on the data of the scene itself.

The backup system keeps 5 saves, so technically, if you haven't work a lot after that, you should still have a working copy. The system is simply a 1:1 of the data contained in the scene... so it should work, unless there's something wrong with the data itself.

If that was the case, it means the scene was already broken even before you renamed the scene. And I mean the scene. So even the backup wouldn't be able to be restored if the base scene was indeed broken.

As Atani was asking, does your scene work locally? If not that's gonna be hard.
You can zip your folder and send it to me so that I can check.

If your renaming was the scene itself, it does not matter at all. The scene json does not has any effect on the data of the scene itself.

The backup system keeps 5 saves, so technically, if you haven't work a lot after that, you should still have a working copy. The system is simply a 1:1 of the data contained in the scene... so it should work, unless there's something wrong with the data itself.

If that was the case, it means the scene was already broken even before you renamed the scene. And I mean the scene. So even the backup wouldn't be able to be restored if the base scene was indeed broken.
Well, I've rebuilt the entire thing. It was acutally pretty easy with the help of the old jsons. It's actualyl even better now than before. I don't know what happened to break it like that. I have no idea. One minute it was fina and the next it was unusable. Oh well.

Thanks for Vamstory, Hazmhox. It's excellent and I use it a lot.

Well, I've rebuilt the entire thing. It was acutally pretty easy with the help of the old jsons. It's actualyl even better now than before. I don't know what happened to break it like that. I have no idea. One minute it was fina and the next it was unusable. Oh well.

Thanks for Vamstory, Hazmhox. It's excellent and I use it a lot.

I'm glad you figured it out!

You won't believe it but I just came to think about why my story broke! atani said in one of his early posts that it's important to keep all Vamstory atoms ON, and yeah I knew that. But I jsut realised, my Director and my Dialog were indeed on, but I had earlier created a "Reset" actions button and just before I finished the scene I turned that Atom OFF and didn't just delete it. That's why my story broke!

Oh well I'm glad I spent a day rewriting it anyway because it came out a lot better anyway. Just thought I'd post this here for anyone who might have the same problem in the future! Keep those atoms on.

That's strange!

I know the on/off issue was mostly due to the synchronization system. But I never tested the actual save process of the plugin. Since it's a custom system, this might be possible that "offing" it might break the save process. Interesting. I should test this :p

You know what, this gives me an idea, I'm gonna make a warning for the next update when the atom containing a VAMS script is offed. That's gonna be easier for people to avoid mistakes : )

That's strange!

I know the on/off issue was mostly due to the synchronization system. But I never tested the actual save process of the plugin. Since it's a custom system, this might be possible that "offing" it might break the save process. Interesting. I should test this :p

You know what, this gives me an idea, I'm gonna make a warning for the next update when the atom containing a VAMS script is offed. That's gonna be easier for people to avoid mistakes : )
You wrote it on the download page in the instructions, and I read it and knew it and still did that mistake 😂 so yaeh, a clear warning might be in place

It's written in one of the updates. But I'm mostly mentionning the synchronization process. Unless I'm missing something I don't think I have ever seen a save issue, but this is worth a test. Thank you very much for all that feedback, this will improve the UX in general and help people understand what they should or shouldn't do ^^

Ty hazmhox as always!
You think it would be worth adding to the plugin a feature that checks precise input? Like a field in which you input text and set the "right" input. And then there is a trigger for the "right" answer and for everything that doesn't fit. Many applications here: from character's phone password or door password to answering riddles. As a way of rewarding paying attention, or exploration of the scene.

Ty hazmhox as always!
You think it would be worth adding to the plugin a feature that checks precise input? Like a field in which you input text and set the "right" input. And then there is a trigger for the "right" answer and for everything that doesn't fit. Many applications here: from character's phone password or door password to answering riddles. As a way of rewarding paying attention, or exploration of the scene.

That's a nice idea!
I would need to figure out the proper way to "read" the answer and compare it properly so that it's not too complex (like you know, case sensitive or not etc). I'll put that on my notes : )

Back
Top Bottom