VAMStory
Hi everybody!
im trying to make some screenshots (with the supershot plugin) and i have notices that the texts do not appear on the screenshots. Is there a way to include the text on the screenshots?

thank you in advance!
btw. the plugin is epic!! :)

Hey @hazmhox , first off I love this thing. I use it for literally everything.
Question though, can you have 2 different VAMStory atoms in one scene?
I tried it, but when I load the scene I am getting a strange error:

!> VAMStory: Dialog group cannot start, the group id: SpeechInfo does not exists. (atom name: SpeechLegend)
!> This might happen if you have an obsolete trigger referencing a group that has been renamed.

Basically I just have another VAMStory atom that is strictly for some instructions, because it supports rich text.
Maybe there is easier way to do this? Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Heyooo it works! I had a scene start loading error trying to show the group before it was loaded.

Last edited:
Hey @hazmhox , first off I love this thing. I use it for literally everything.
Question though, can you have 2 different VAMStory atoms in one scene?
I tried it, but when I load the scene I am getting a strange error:

!> VAMStory: Dialog group cannot start, the group id: SpeechInfo does not exists. (atom name: SpeechLegend)
!> This might happen if you have an obsolete trigger referencing a group that has been renamed.

Basically I just have another VAMStory atom that is strictly for some instructions, because it supports rich text.
Maybe there is easier way to do this? Let me know what you think.

EDIT: Heyooo it works! I had a scene start loading error trying to show the group before it was loaded.
You could also use VAMCUI for the instructions (if it's only a few instructions) and then only use VamStory for the story.

Repro video is the first thing you do when debugging. It eliminates any misunderstanding possible. Thank you!

Yeah, impossible to reproduce that on my end.
Try something:
  • Create an empty scene
  • Merge load your "broken scene" without actions in it
  • Try to add actions again
I really don't understand how that could glitch like that. There's obviously something going on, but without repro on my end, it's pretty much impossible to fix.

I'm just starting to use your VAMstory plugin and experienced what seems to me to be the same issue @CheesyFX experienced a few months ago.
After some tests, I found where this problem came from. I post a video showing my error which seems to bug your plugin, maybe it could be useful to others.

By the way, I take this opportunity to thank you for this plugin and the others, I'm starting to discover and the potential is enormous.

When enabling "UI follows camera", is it supposed to only follow in a jerky manner, synchronizing with the camera in random intervals so that the UI is sometimes outside of the frame, and sometimes in the middle covering the scene?

Am I missing something? I'm trying it in desktop mode.

Also, "Hide main dialogue at the end" shouldn't hide the avatar.

Last edited:
Curious if there is a way to change the color/appearance of VaMStoryActions buttons seperately rather then only having 1 global color/style per VaMStoryActions.clist, I want different colors for different buttons.

Same question for the main VaMStory.clist, wanting to have get certain dialogue groups (or even style per dialogue) in a different color/style.

Also... It would be GREAT if we could restore backups via triggers (this would allow using multiple, "presets" on a single VaMStoryActions.clist).

Also I noticed that VaMStory loses all of it's trigger data when saved and then reloaded as a subscene.
The only fix so far I've seen is saving the atom in which you put VaMStory as a preset, and then reload the preset on said atom.

Last edited:
I love the Story Actions and would like to implement it in my scene, however if using MacGruber's PostMagic, the ActionButtons are seen even through person ATOMS :( I know you said that it's post magic-s fault, but is there a workaround? (PostMagic is kinda needed in my scene because of the LUT's, I can live without the other stuff)

I tried to copy the settings of vamstory from the basic story tutorial in my own scene, but for some reasons it does not reset the pose when I am at the end of the dialogue.

Is there anything I am missing? Like do the dialogue group reseting and the 0-group have to be different?

This is the best plugin. Very very cool. I use it in everything.

There is a bug I always run into that I don't see mentioned here. When loading a scene with VamStory and/or VamStoryActions, what can sometimes happen is that the plugins will ignore all of your customization. Even though the plugins were fine when saved. No amount of reloading the scene or restoring the backups will fix it. I tried making a new atom and restoring backups there, does not help. The only way is to make a new atom and copy over the plugin options manually then fix all triggers pointing to it.

The buttons will retain the triggers and can still be pressed for the triggers saved. But all of the customization and dialogue text in the plugin menus is not applied. You can still see the options checked like you saved them but changing them does nothing. Example: If you have UI Size = 0.7, when the bug comes the plugin will load with default values and show default UI size. In the plugin menu it will show UI Size = 0.7 but changing the slider now does nothing. This applies to everything in the plugin menus.

It seems to happen at random. I've seen it in 4 unique scenes now built from scratch, multiple times. Even with this bug though I still save more time than dealing with basic UI Buttons.

This is the best plugin. Very very cool. I use it in everything.

There is a bug I always run into that I don't see mentioned here. When loading a scene with VamStory and/or VamStoryActions, what can sometimes happen is that the plugins will ignore all of your customization. Even though the plugins were fine when saved. No amount of reloading the scene or restoring the backups will fix it. I tried making a new atom and restoring backups there, does not help. The only way is to make a new atom and copy over the plugin options manually then fix all triggers pointing to it.

The buttons will retain the triggers and can still be pressed for the triggers saved. But all of the customization and dialogue text in the plugin menus is not applied. You can still see the options checked like you saved them but changing them does nothing. Example: If you have UI Size = 0.7, when the bug comes the plugin will load with default values and show default UI size. In the plugin menu it will show UI Size = 0.7 but changing the slider now does nothing. This applies to everything in the plugin menus.

It seems to happen at random. I've seen it in 4 unique scenes now built from scratch, multiple times. Even with this bug though I still save more time than dealing with basic UI Buttons.
One thing to check is that VAMStory/Actions is not in a SubScene.
It does not work well with SubScenes.

Yea, I never put atoms with a plugin in a SS, those are only for lights.

I suspect it's to do with having multiple atoms with vamstory actions and/or story in a scene. Or possibly with renaming atoms that the plugin points to.

I figured it out. If an atom containing a vamstory/actions plugin is off at scene load it will bork itself and all other vam story/actions in the scene. I used atom control in addition to the hide function to toggle UIs at different levels. Don't use atom control.

When I have a text heavy scene and I would like the characters to move their mouths when talking. Is there a good way to achieve this, if I don't have any voice files?

Does anybody know any good video's of the work flow using VAMStory? And I mean more of a talking tutorial too. The front pages videos is amazing just not exactly what I want.

One thing to check is that VAMStory/Actions is not in a SubScene.
It does not work well with SubScenes.
It works perfectly fine if you add in a logicbrick -> OnEventSceneLoad -> Load preset on the VaMStory atom.

This ofcourse also works for VaMStory atoms that are not inside a subscene, for which you perhaps require/want a different story to be loaded onto the same atom without changing scene.

I still desire/require VaMStory to work with subscenes and until then I sadly am forced to use this workaround.

Last edited:
Does anybody know any good video's of the work flow using VAMStory? And I mean more of a talking tutorial too. The front pages videos is amazing just not exactly what I want.

hazmhox' Demo Scenes talk (kind of ...). I found them pretty illuminating.
;)

VAMStory

• VAMStory_basic_tutorial is a simple scene showing a story example made with VAMStory. Ella will be teaching you how to use the plugin.
  • VAMStory_actions_tutorial is a simple scene showing a story example made with VAMStory. Ella will be teaching you how to use the sub-plugin of VAMStory: VAMStoryActions.
  • VAMStory_director_tutorial is a simple scene showing a story example made with VAMStory. Ella and her clone will be teaching you how to use the sub-plugin of VAMStory: VAMStoryDirector.
  • VAMStory_buttons_examples is a gallery of VAMStoryActions customized properly to give you and idea of what you can do with the options.
  • VAMStory_buttons_advanced is a gallery of a VAMStoryActions system configure to make a main tab menu with sub-menus (using VAMStoryDirector).
  • Demo_Story_driven_Alurian_Toy_Fun is the same scene as Space_Force_Alurian_Toy_Fun, but this time it is story-driven with a bit of dialogs.
  • VAMStory_Director_GateTriggers is a tutorial explaining how to use the gate trigger system in Director.

Other than that, check creators who use it. Ispinox uses it as simple menus. PetaZwega uses it, too. Most advanced usage I've seen is VamFantasy's Vegas scene (tbh, haven't figured out half of what he's doing there ....)

Last edited:
Well, now, seems like someone is possibly ready to receive a list of begging requests for VAMStory ;)

Disney Aladdin GIF

I'm actually going to note down some requests for VAMStory 😊

I use a lot Actions and Director, several of them per scene, so here's some thoughts on their use:
  • Option to disable automatic backups:
    • the automatic backups quickly becomes overwhelming if you use more than one instance of any VAMStory plugin; I resorted to edit the frequency value in the plugin's code to not end up with hundreds of files when I was making a scene
  • Not comply to Freeze Motion/Soundfor VAMS Actions:
    • sometimes you need to freeze the action to hit the UI buttons/sliders properly, especially in VR, but when freezing they don't work anymore
  • Possibility to reorder VAMS Director triggers
  • Would be amazing to have image buttons 🖼️
That's it I think, thank you 🙇‍♂️

I just learn about things better with a visual example from start to scratch. I also deconstruct scenes. But its always way more work due to people not labeling things.

hi, I'm trying to upgrade from 23 to 24 but I have an error when loading the new version in place saying:

!> Error during attempt to load assetbundle hazmhox.vamstory.24:/Custom/Scripts/VAMStory/vamstory_assets.uibundle. Not valid
!> VAMStory - Exception caught: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
at VAMStoryPlugin.VAMStory.OnBundleLoaded (MeshVR.AssetBundleFromFileRequest aRequest) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0
and the UI is broken, everything is stacked on the right side.

edit : after removing the old 23 version and keeping only the latest, it works as expected

Last edited:
The POI feature is a very interesting to experiment, what a great idea.
My concern is that as it is it may be too distracting and I was wondering if you could add some non-animated options of the circle and exclamation point?
The POI icon shows on a screenshot while the rest does not, reporting it not knowing if it's intentional.

For the header feature I already have a use for it, thank you for implementing it. I didn't see a footer part, I guess that will come later. Not sure if it's intended or not, but hiding the VAMAction items will not also hide the header.

The Text type is indeed bareboned. As it takes the appearance of the button it's quite confusing for now, interested in seeing what you will you do with it.

Thanks for iterating on this great plugin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom