Question Vam Hub uploading etiquette and general advice regarding uploading of game characters models and audio

dixout4harambe

Reactions
Hello, first of all sorry if these are stupid questions, I made a pretty elaborate scene I would like to share, but before I do that there are a couple of questions I would like to ask.
The scene involves D,va from OW.
  1. The first question is pretty straightforward, the model has been created by an author that did not package this model in a .var, I corrected some texture loading errors that would always pop up with this character in VaM (for me) and made it into a .var for my own convenience. When I upload the scene, is it ok to link the creator's patreon non-packaged character post along with a link containing the var or is it considered redistribution and in general scumbaggery and not ok? The creator's character works well, but the error popups are annoying. I'm going to ask the creator directly anyway and follow whatever he says, but I'd just like someone's opinion on these situations in case I don't get an answer.
  2. The other thing is, this scene involves a collection of audio clips from the game character, I downloaded these from a site, renamed them and catalogued them, and I was able to trigger them during the scene using audioMate, this adds a lot to the scene but the clips are obviously copyright material. Should I upload these and pack them into the scene? I can just change these for generic sounds if the alternative is not uploading the scene.

Sorry for the really stupid questions, I know videogame characters get uploaded all the time, but I just want to be sure I'm not breaking some important rules.

Difficult question.
So this is the official developers VaM Hub, we have to be even more sensitive about copyright as usual.
No one of us want's to bring VaM in danger.
If "videogame characters get uploaded all the time", this is not making it neccessarily legal.
If you will read the rules from this site, there are clear statements against copyright violations.
I am surely not "more Catholic than the Pope", but with this open question, I've got bad feelings in my stomache. Don't get me wrong, it was good to ask! There are allready other game character inspired looks and maybe even sound here, but that is always legal limbo and highly questionable.

Now to the first part of your question: repairing and re-packing something is definitely not enough internal activity to make this your own stuff! You have to ask the creator for permission. This holds even more true for creations sold on Patreon.

Nevertheless, we all love shared stuff, so if you would find a way to clearify those legal issues, it would be great.

In general: If you are not entirely sure... safety first!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Kind of similar (dumb) question on VaM-specific resources - if I create a free scene that depends on paid-only plugin such as Balance or any other paid look or clothing etc., I probably shouldn't include them as part of my var. In this case, as a rule of thumb, when building a shareable (free) scene, should I just avoid paid-only plugins at all?

Upvote 0
@RaccoonInfestation I am no admin and can't give you official statements, but IMHO a free scene with required paid plugins is not realy free.
Nevertheless, there are several free scenes doing this. I understand that sometimes it is absolutely neccessary and those Patreon guys wants to earn money, too, but I bet for many users this is somewhat annoying.
It is another pair of shoes, if the paid plugin is only optional, like a cloth item.
But even if you could skip this, unfortunately this would add another nasty error message to the users lists.
IMHO I would see it as a good uploading etiquette, to not use paid stuff if possible. Everything else is IMO thoughtlessly. If it is cloth or hair or other optional things, experienced users can easiely use their own stuff, but unexperienced users might think they neccessarily have to buy those things.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom