Question Uploading to the HUB

LJV

Reactions
Can someone please tell a NooB how to upload a Look to the HUB, please step by step how to get it out it would be very beneficial and help people contribute more to the amazing project we all love x

First save look as scene and remove all extra items plug-ins and paid content.
Second open package manager icon in the UI give package a name then hit add file to put your saved scene.
Next check all boxes then press prep package. That will generate a list of all content.
Paid content is to be removed, CC-BY needs to give credit, CC-BY-NC needs to give credit and can only be used for free content.
Now once you have all that sorted. Save scene again. In package manager you need to start again so clear everything or remove selected.
Name package, add file, check boxes then hit prep package. Then if everything is listed as fixable: Press the Fix button>check all boxes>finalize package.

You can find your ready to share .var/.txt file in your addonpackages folder.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
...Then if everything is listed as fixable: Press the Fix button>check all boxes>finalize package.

You can find your ready to share .var/.txt file in your addonpackages folder.

Just wanna expand on previous answer.
You don't have to press "Fix" button every time, only if your look/scene/clothing/etc includes your local or modified content.

But if missing content is part of other packages (in original state) that are from other people also hub hosted you don't need to,
dependencies system will do it for you (find them and link to your var for others).

If you do "fix" everytime this will stip part of files you are using and add them to your package, this only creates duplicates for others.
And then you need to check licences, maybe credit original author, see if you are allowed to include it in the first place or what licence you MUST use.
With depencencies you don't have to, since you are not including it inside YOUR package.

Also you upload only .var, don't need to upload dependecies.txt (obsolete)

Upvote 0
Hoping in here because I'm new.. how do we share after we have the VAR.. I did the above and have my VAR file but how do I get it on the hub lol

Upvote 0
Hoping in here because I'm new.. how do we share after we have the VAR.. I did the above and have my VAR file but how do I get it on the hub lol
While the advice in this thread is not entirely wrong, it does not lead to good VAR packages.
  1. "Looks" should be Appearance presets, not Scenes. You can have an additional demo scene, but that should be a separate VAR.
  2. Before pressing the "Fix" button, check what it's gonna be fixing!! Remove everything that shouldn't be there! (Best advice is always to be mindful of what dependencies you use and HOW you use them the entire time you work on something.
Check this thread here, with better advice and link to a VAR tutorial:

Upvote 0
Thanks! I did end up finding this after I asked the question. Got my first creation on the HUB.. Hopefully I did it correct.

Upvote 0
Hopefully I did it correct.
Notes:
  1. You have 33 dependencies! For just a Look that is a LOT. Imagine someone creating a scene with 3 characters, one of those with your look. Is that scene supposed to have 90+ dependencies just for the looks? Not to mention dependencies for the environment, plugins, etc.?
    • (That's why I said I recommend a using an appearence preset and a separate demo scene. You can still show off your work in the demo, but someone else building a scene would just need dependencies for the actual Look.)
  2. Some of your dependencies are not found on the Hub. Remember, every user of a scene build by another creator using your Look is gonna need those dependencies. That's a nightmare. If you can't avoid them, you should at least tell people where they can get them. Especially if those should happen to be paid ones! Use directly links if possible.

Upvote 0
So you are saying if I use it as an appearance preset it won't have any dependencies? when someone downloads it they still get the full look? So basically this is an easy fix?

Thanks for the advice.

Upvote 0
No. He's saying that making a VAR with a appearance preset and another with a scene to showcase the appearance preset is a better way to do it than having all into a single VAR.

Let's say a VAR with only the appearance preset has 5 dependencies (hair, skin, etc), and a separate scene showcase VAR has 20 dependencies (environment, clothing, assets, etc).
Someone who only wants the appearance preset only needs to get 5 dependencies, while if you packed appearance preset and scene all in one VAR, then they'd need 20 dependencies. Of those 20 dependencies, 5 are for the appearance preset, and someone who only wanted the look would have to get 15 more unneeded dependencies.

Even though most people bundle a appearance preset with a showcase scene, many even just a scene, and people are used to this practice, being different VARs is the better practice for a quality release.
As for non-hub dependencies, see the guide:

Upvote 0
Everyone makes it so easy to understand on here. I thank you all! Ok I got this one down to 6, I can see good turn out with the built in morphs. How does this look?

Upvote 0
"Looks" should be Appearance presets, not Scenes.

It seems like 95% of the Looks I've downloaded have been Scenes. They show up on the main user interface grid when starting VaM. I go in on my own and open the scene then save the Look as an Appearance preset or a Look. I don't think it bothers me that the Looks/Scenes show up on the main grid. I just "hide" the ones I don't want to see.

So if we're supposed to be saving Looks as Appearance Presets why do all the directions (including those in this thread) say to save a Look as a Scene?

Upvote 0
So if we're supposed to be saving Looks as Appearance Presets why do all the directions (including those in this thread) say to save a Look as a Scene?
Because for most people "it works" is enough? However, the result is this dependency mess we live in where simple things have 50+ dependencies for no reason or worse duplicate all those dependencies inside their own VAR "to avoid dependencies"...achieving the opposite.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom