Solved Too many heap sections

Vesolye

Reactions
I have 64gb ram now, so there should be no problems theorically, but it keeps crashing my game.

Yesterday, it requires 10-13 scenes to crash, but today only one scene with timeline is enough to crash with this message.

Maybe it was caused by my enormous amount of addons? I cannot guess...

Solution
So I’ve been struggling with this for a while and I think I found a solution.

Short version: remove VARs with too many morphs, namely those by Universens and noheadnoleg.

Longer version:

I wasn’t able to open scenes with more than 2 people in it, without getting the dreaded "Too Many Heap Sections". I’ve read that it was not about not having enough physical RAM, which I can confirm from my experience. I do have LOTS of VARs and I was pretty sure that was the reason, but I was not sure why.

I found a very interesting thread about VAM performance where MeshedVR explained that VAM performance wasn’t directly related to the number of VARs, but it is related to the number of morphs, including the ones in VARs and all duplicates. He...
No, it should stay open of course. If it closes there was probably some error. Python probably needs to be version >= 3
I have 3.13 I believe. it runs normally and lists vars with lots of morphs and shows errors like "x is not a zip file" pretty quickly till I reach about X named vars and then it just closes.

Upvote 0
I have 3.13 I believe. it runs normally and lists vars with lots of morphs and shows errors like "x is not a zip file" pretty quickly till I reach about X named vars and then it just closes.
There shouldn't be any files with a .var extension anywhere in your AddonPackages that aren't zip files. Try removing the ones it complains about

Upvote 0
There shouldn't be any files with a .var extension anywhere in your AddonPackages that aren't zip files. Try removing the ones it complains about
wait. I thought .var files are supposed to go into the addonpackages folder? the "zip error" looks like the one in my screenshot. it will run till the end and show the list of files with lots of morphs, but instead of remaining open, it just closes. I originally thought it was supposed to make a txt file with the results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    107.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
wait. I thought .var files are supposed to go into the addonpackages folder? the "zip error" looks like the one in my screenshot. it will run till the end and show the list of files with lots of morphs, but instead of remaining open, it just closes. I originally thought it was supposed to make a txt file with the results.
Yes, .var files do go to AddonPackages. But .var files are zip archives, just with a different extension. The point is there shouldn't be any .var files that aren't actually zip archives. The script identifies these and skips them.

It looks like the .vars that it complains about are behind symlinks and that's why it fails to read them as zips...

Try running the script in PowerShell instead, see if stays open.

Upvote 0
I'm not exactly sure how to do that. I just followed the instruction of renaming the .txt file provided into a .py one and ran it inside my addonfolder. is that the one where I have to open a powershell window with shift+rightclick?
Ah, if you just open the file, the window will close automatically upon completion. You need to run it by first opening a command prompt or a powershell, then navigating to the AddonPackages folder where your script .py file is located, and then run it from there. The commands that you need to type into the command line interface are in the post where I attached the script. You can find PowerShell and Command Prompt in your start menu.

Upvote 0
Ah, if you just open the file, the window will close automatically upon completion. You need to run it by first opening a command prompt or a powershell, then navigating to the AddonPackages folder where your script .py file is located, and then run it from there. The commands that you need to type into the command line interface are in the post where I attached the script. You can find PowerShell and Command Prompt in your start menu.
ok so I managed to get it to finish this time, but I think the results aren't correct since I cannot view the top most results.

Attachments

• Screenshot_3.png
    Screenshot_3.png
    55.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot_4.png
    Screenshot_4.png
    44.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
ok so I managed to get it to finish this time, but I think the results aren't correct since I cannot view the top most results.
You can either redirect the output to a text file:

Code:
python .\morphbloatscanner-1.1.0.py --min 1 --path . | Set-Content -Path morphbloatscanner_result.txt

Or increase the amount of history you can scroll in the properties (right click on the powershell window title bar):

1728576014335.png

Upvote 0
You can either redirect the output to a text file:

Code:
python .\morphbloatscanner-1.1.0.py --min 1 --path . | Set-Content -Path morphbloatscanner_result.txt

Or increase the amount of history you can scroll in the properties (right click on the powershell window title bar):

View attachment 418052
ok, figured it all out now. thanks a lot!! man, I don't even know where to start to delete stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_5.png
    Screenshot_5.png
    145.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom