Question Too many heap sections???

FreeMaster69

Reactions
Every now and then I get a crash that says there are too many heap sections and it just crashes. Anyone have any Idea how to stop this from happening?

CPU. Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics. RTX 2060
Ram. 64Gb DDR4 3200Mhz

Every now and then I get a crash that says there are too many heap sections and it just crashes. Anyone have any Idea how to stop this from happening?

CPU. Ryzen 5 2600
Graphics. RTX 2060
Ram. 64Gb DDR4 3200Mhz
Assuming you're running on 64bit OS Win10 or Win11?

Update your graphics driver as well.

Upvote 0
Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

That said, my impression is that "too many heap sections" is an error related to running out of memory. Which is strange, considering your have 64GB.

Maybe try watching memory usage while running the scene that caused the crash. Perhaps you're using a plugin that is buggy and just keeps consuming more and more Ram?

Or you have a metric fuckton of other applications running in the background using up Ram?

Upvote 0
Disclaimer: I don't actually know what I'm talking about.

That said, my impression is that "too many heap sections" is an error related to running out of memory. Which is strange, considering your have 64GB.

Maybe try watching memory usage while running the scene that caused the crash. Perhaps you're using a plugin that is buggy and just keeps consuming more and more Ram?

Or you have a metric fuckton of other applications running in the background using up Ram?
doubtful im using the same ram ammount as you my guess is its too many addons installed or its the fact that vam still runs on 32bit

Upvote 0
Vam memory problems tend to be with systems using 16GB or less. Once you're up to 32 BG it's smooth sailing. With 64, there shouldn't be any problems at all.

Upvote 0
my impression is that "too many heap sections" is an error related to running out of memory.
Correct.

Likely some kind of plugin that keeps allocating memory without ever releasing it. That's called a memory leak. I recommend to systematically removing your plugins to figure out which one is causing trouble.

Upvote 0
Anyone solve this yet? I've remove all of my addons and cleared cache. I have 64GB of RAM and crash every time I do a big scene load like "shortstack shenanigans" or some of the KittyMoCap scenes. I've updated my drivers and I'm using a Valve Index.

Upvote 0
Okay so after some in depth research, it would seem that the "Too many heap sections" error is happening due to a GC limit in Unity. This bug was supposedly fixed, but I'm wondering if some people here still have a Unity DLL in a DLL search path from the older version of Unity. If this is the case, you'll get this error because Unity did have a bug at one point with its garbage collector and memory allocation code.

So with that said, I would try this:
Open command prompt, change directory to the VAM directory, then type in:
Code:
set PATH=
This will clear the dll search path for this shell environment.
Now run vam in the shell by typing:
Code:
.\VaM.exe

This is just a theory. Try it and see if this fixes it.
Note, that removing the path variable for the environment means the program can't find DLLs from anywhere except its own working directory and binary paths configured in the application manifest. So if there are actually system DLLs that need to be loaded, you'll have to try
set PATH=%WINDIR%; instead (or direct the path to whatever system directory that has the missing dll)

Upvote 0
so anyone didn't solved this problem yet?

Something you might try is making sure you don't ahve any memory overclocking going on in Bios. I was getting frequent crashes with my new system until i disabled the "Extreme memory profile" my bios suggested. Smooth sailing ever since.

But i don't know if those crashes result in that "too many heaps" error message.

Upvote 0
Vam memory problems tend to be with systems using 16GB or less. Once you're up to 32 BG it's smooth sailing. With 64, there shouldn't be any problems at all.
True. I have 32GB Ram and have no trouble at all, thats with using Timeline.

Upvote 0
Something you might try is making sure you don't ahve any memory overclocking going on in Bios. I was getting frequent crashes with my new system until i disabled the "Extreme memory profile" my bios suggested. Smooth sailing ever since.

But i don't know if those crashes result in that "too many heaps" error message.
I use ryzen 7 5800x PBO. I should make try with it.

Upvote 0
I've had this problem too and I have 64 GB of Ram. Hopefully I can get one of those new-fangled computers that works with this...

Upvote 0
I have been looking for a solution to this for awhile. Is it possible that GC is referring to Graphics Card memory? I have 64 GB of Ram but my Graphics card has 8GB. I haven't found any mention of that in any of the proposed solutions, so maybe it has nothing to do with it.

Upvote 0
I have been looking for a solution to this for awhile. Is it possible that GC is referring to Graphics Card memory? I have 64 GB of Ram but my Graphics card has 8GB. I haven't found any mention of that in any of the proposed solutions, so maybe it has nothing to do with it.
You can search this solution but it refers to to many vars with morphs

Upvote 0
[specs: Win10, 64g ram, Nvidia 4090] [Vam 1.2x, with updated patch]
I've tried cleaning vars, morphs, dedup, vacuum. Still a crash on default scene load.
Attached a snippet of the dump file.
Any devs around?

Attachments

• crash-sm.txt
    45.1 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom