Timeline plugin controlling multiple objects?

cenXaur

Reactions
Twitter
cenxaur
Hello. I'm trying to solve the following problem:

Let's say that I've got a scene with 50 boxes and I need to move the boxes aroud the scene with Timeline plugin.
To do that I may attach the AcidBubbles.Timeline plugin to each box and then I can create an animation for every Box controller.
However this is very weird. I need to manage each plugin on each box. It is literally having 50 active plugins in one scene!

I would need to animate ALL the boxes with 1 AcidBubbles.Timeline plugin attached to the "Scene" object.
But I've never found a way how to accomplish this.
The Timeline plugin sees only targets from the object to which is attached to. But whenever I attach the plugin to the "Scene" itself, the plugin doesn't see any targets..

Is there anyone who knows it this is solveable?

I was thinking about changing the plugin's code but I don't want to waste time. Maybe the solution is easier.

Technically, Timeline is built to deal with "owned" controllers only. But, I heard there's a bug that allows you to do it anyway ;) If you add a control using "Add from scene", I think you'll be able to reference other controllers. I can't check right now though.

Internally, whether a controller is owned or not shouldn't matter, but there are things like watching for disabled physics on the atom and dealing with disposed atoms that would be required to do this "right". If it doesn't work ping me again, I plan on doing a "pass" of feature dev soon-ish on Timeline, this is something I'll consider.

Technically, Timeline is built to deal with "owned" controllers only. But, I heard there's a bug that allows you to do it anyway ;) If you add a control using "Add from scene", I think you'll be able to reference other controllers. I can't check right now though.

Internally, whether a controller is owned or not shouldn't matter, but there are things like watching for disabled physics on the atom and dealing with disposed atoms that would be required to do this "right". If it doesn't work ping me again, I plan on doing a "pass" of feature dev soon-ish on Timeline, this is something I'll consider.

Hello Acid Bubbles, thank you for your reply! I've tried to find the way on how to replicate the bug. I've clicked on "Scene Add Atom" tab and added the cubes. But I think that this is the same as adding it with the plus sign. Or maybe I've misunderstood it?
Of course If you are willing to enhance the Timeline plugin that way it would increase the usability of Timeline dramatically. It would also be super usable with the imakeboobies IK plugin for custom unity assets (https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/ik-for-custom-unity-assets.12870/).
His plugin can add separate objects which control rigged bones of an arbitrary CUA.
The problem is with animating, because every IK effector is a separate object thus if the Timeline plugin could control all objects in the scene it would have been heaven..

In the meantime, I'd like to try the bug. Could you please tell me how to raise the bug? I'd like to but I can't figure it out.

There is a button called "Select from scene" in the plugin dashboard (when adding targets). This is probably what you've ment. I've tried it but unfurtunately works it doesn't work when selecting "non owned" controller.

Hello Acid Bubbles! I decided to become your supporter because I wanted to express my gratitude for taking my suggestions on Timeline improvements into account. Thank you!
It wouldn't be no VAM without your Timeline...

FYI Timeline 6 will allow external controls :)

1651696080075.png

Back
Top Bottom