Not A Bug (SOLVED) Pimax 8k works fine but menu button on HTC VIVE controller does nothing

virtualharem34

Reactions
Patreon
virtualharem34
On my Index I was able to do pretty much everything I was able to do before but when pressing the top menu button to bring up the context menu the beam comes on but no menu appears. Anyone else having this problem? Are HTC Vive controllers compatible with the Pimax 8k and vam?

In SteamVR > options you can configure your controllers to work however you like. The defaults are probably just now what you expect.

In SteamVR > options you can configure your controllers to work however you like. The defaults are probably just now what you expect.

Hey DJ, this was one of my first attempts to rectify it, thanks, what happened was even after remapping it won't work, but I have more info. I've an update on this:

It's...inconsistent. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesnt. It usually works when vam starts but while a scene is loading the controllers suddenly stop emitting the red or blue line and thereafter pushing the menu button or a remapped menu button does nothing. What's SUPER WEIRD is sometimes when i mirror to desktop I can see the distorted 'menu' floating in some crazy ass position nowhere near my controller way off in the distance, but only on the desktop.

Is this a weird tracking issue? I'm using the same base stations and controllersthat work flawlessly with the Valve Index.

Because of the inconsistency it's very hard to diagnose.

@DJ

@DJ @meshedvr

Interesting....I have an update on this edge case bug. so. I found out the inconsistency. When I move my headset such that NO ITEMS IN THE SCENE are being rendered, the menu reappears, as soon as i move back into the scene it disappears

I think this might be a render Queue bug. I set the render queue really high on the new UIButtonImages because for some reason they sometimes prevent other assets from being displayed in front of them, like other image panels.

I THINK this bug might have something to do with extreme renderqueue values and imagebuttons causing the in-game menu not to render. It's there, it just doesn't show up.

So it's not a menu button not working issue, it'sjust that it's not being rendered no matter if I hold the controller to my left, right, top, down, but as soon as no other objects are visible it reappears.

AS TO WHY THIS ONLY HAPPENS ON PIMAX AND NOT THE INDEX FOR THE EXACT SAME SCENE THOUGH....REALLY CONFUSING.

UPDATE:

OK DID SOME MORE EXPERIMENTING,NARROWED IT DOWN EVEN FURTHER.

I opened a simpler scene, in this case Vecterror's AKen scene. It has a model, some buttons, and an atom called EMPTY with several macgruber plugins.

Just like with my scene, the menu disappears when i get CLOSE to the atoms in the scene, but as I move away it reappears. When i turned of MacGruber's POSTMAGIC @MacGruber the weird visual menu bug went away. I'm not sure if this is pimax/postmagic related or just some issue with scriping in general but after i disabled the plugin the menu never went away. And when I turned it back on it behaved as before.

I'm going to test again with other scripts, this is WEIRD AF. Only tagged you macgruber if you have any ideas. This only happens on the PIMAX 8k, not on the Valve Index with the exact same setup.

I'm wondering if scripts that affect the rendering directly VAMOverlays/Postmagic screw with the pimax rendering of the menu for some reason.

Will do some more testing, this is ass to isolate what's wrong.

well, I dont know man, I can't seem to find the source of it, I tried disabling all plugins in another scene and i still hit the issue when I got near the scene's models and content.

this is driving me insane lol, i may just return the pimax.

Only tagged you macgruber if you have any ideas.
You always have to expect issues when using multiple plugins at the same time that all mess with the render pipeline...like multiple PostMagic being active at the same time, interference with Reshade, etc.

However, there is a know issue with PostMagic and disapearing UI. Several people reported it over the years:

However, PostMagic can't be improved or fixed. I would have to implement new post-effects from scratch, since off-the-shelve effects won't work when applied as VaM plugin. Would need hundreds if not thousands of hours which I just don't have. For VaM 2.0 Meshed will likely be able to implement some off-the-shelve post-effects in a fraction of the time.

You always have to expect issues when using multiple plugins at the same time that all mess with the render pipeline...like multiple PostMagic being active at the same time, interference with Reshade, etc.

However, there is a know issue with PostMagic and disapearing UI. Several people reported it over the years:

However, PostMagic can't be improved or fixed. I would have to implement new post-effects from scratch, since off-the-shelve effects won't work when applied as VaM plugin. Would need hundreds if not thousands of hours which I just don't have. For VaM 2.0 Meshed will likely be able to implement some off-the-shelve post-effects in a fraction of the time.

yeah thanks McG not sure what's up here, but even after disabling your plugins I'm still seeing the issue. Must be a broad host of plugins that screw up on this platform. considering returning the hardware.

ISSUE RESOLVED:

For anyone else wondering, I had two instances of Postmagic, one on a girl atom, one as a scene plugin. I had disabled the girl one and the issue didn't go away, so I assumed that was it, but once I turned off the scene plugin as well all functioned normally.

Back
Top Bottom