VaM does not detect Vive Trackers when connecting through Oculus Link

TdotONY

Reactions
Website
www.patreon.com
Patreon
TdotONY
I bought a Quest 2 some time ago, along with a wireless router to check out its wireless capabilities, so I had purchased the Virtual Desktop quest app as well.

I also tested VaM wirelessly with the Quest, running VaM as a "non steam game" along with 3 HTC Vive trackers. From what I could recall, my trackers were showing up in-game.

The software seemed to work quite well, however since I largely play simulators, I returned the wifi router in favour of just using a wired connection to the Quest through Oculus Link.

Fast forward to now, when no matter what, I could not get my trackers to show up in VaM. I made a post about this quite some time ago when I was trying to get it to work at that time as well, but wanted to try again now. I tried changing the OpenXR settings in Steam as well as you can change that source between Oculus and Steam, but it had no effect. I don't think VaM interacts with that at all anyway.

I reinstalled Steam, SteamVR, Oculus software, deleted all the files from VaM directory and verified it through the launcher to redownload it and reset all the settings, etc. I removed all Steam config files from the windows user directory as well to have as fresh of slate as possible.

Trackers would show up in the SteamVR space, as well as in other games like Blade and Sorcery when running Quest -> Oculus Link -> SteamVR games, but not VaM.

Remembering that I could have sworn I was able to use the trackers previously with VaM and the Quest2, I went out and bought a wifi router again.

I reinstalled the Virtual Desktop streaming software on my PC and reconnected the Quest2 wirelessly through that app. Loaded up SteamVR, then VaM and lo and behold, there was my 1 HTC vive tracker I connected for testing.

I changed literally nothing else other than not using the Oculus software to connect the Quest 2 to the PC. Virtual Desktop is somehow its own standalone thing and does not require the Oculus software to be running on your PC to connect and run games (other than Oculus specific games obviously since they are platform locked).

This leads me to believe there is some issue with VaM and Oculus software which is not allowing it to see my trackers.

Back
Top Bottom