Fixed Pimax 8k with index controllers not working

Gurgle

Reactions
Hi,
I have a Pimax 8k with two index controllers and are not able to get the controllers to work at all.

Deleted and re installed several times, updated index firmware, forcing openvr with the bat file, stil nothing, no beam and no movement on any buttons.

I can select scenes etc with the mouse, but no response form the index controllers

I can briefly see the controller just when i start Virt-a-mate, but then it's gone.

By pressing "U" on the keyboard i can see the menu pop up, but it's very fare away and not readable, not like in the tutorial video's i have seen.

Anyone know how to fix this ?

Btw, they work fine in all other steam games / apps

I'm not sure. Make sure SteamVR is running and controllers are on and recognized before starting VaM. Another possibility is you are not using the default bindings and are using a custom binding that is broken. You can go into SteamVR menu and select Devices -> Controller Settings -> Manage Controller Bindings. From there you can select which binding you are using in VAM. I suggest making sure the default one is enabled.

Yeah,
Tried with both default and custom binding, same thing, nothing is happening.
I can also switch to a video player or a game, and the index controllers works prefect, very strange

I know you said you tried re-install, but perhaps try repairing your install of VaM. Perhaps the local binding file is corrupted or missing. Launch VaM_Updater.exe and choose Options -> Repair Core.

I really don't know what would cause this. Also moving this thread to the bugs area.

The only other Pimax user I know is @MiniMax and I know it can work, but I'm not sure which controllers MiniMax is using.

Hi, and thanks for your help.
I solved this last night.

I installed VAM on the root directory of an empty hdd i had, that seems to be the problem, made a directory on it, deleted the old "root" VAM and re installed to the new folder, it now works.

Seems VAM doesn't like to be installed in root, or steam get's confused ?

Thanks

I'm using the index controllers together with my Pimax 8k-X and they work fine, as does the old leap motion! I expect the new wide FOV hand tracking module from Pimax (leap motion compatible) to work also and way better than the old module due to increased FOV and FPS.

I'm using the index controllers together with my Pimax 8k-X and they work fine, as does the old leap motion! I expect the new wide FOV hand tracking module from Pimax (leap motion compatible) to work also and way better than the old module due to increased FOV and FPS.

Thanks for the nice info, was thinking about getting a leap motion module, or should i wait for the Pimax plugin leap motion module ?
Not even sure if the new Pimax module is supported on the older "8K" i have, their website is not easy to get info from :/

Any idea ?

I would definitely recommend the new handtracking module from Pimax. While the old Leap Motion module is cool, it suffers from a way to less FOV, especially in regard to the wide Pimax HMD FOV. This makes your hands fly away if you move them from the center of your view.
The new Pimax hand tracking module has the same FOV as the HMD and can be attached directly to the HMD, and since it uses updated leap motion (now Ultra Leap) tech, it should be comptible (see https://www.ultraleap.com/product/stereo-ir-170). It can be connected to any new Pimax headset, e.g. Artisan, 5K+, 8K and 8K-X.
That said, I'm still waiting to get mine. Everything goes slow at Pimax...

Btw. did you know that VaM contains special code for HMDs with canted displays like Pimax or Star VR? Meshed was friendly enough to add this code to VaM V1.20 on my request: https://github.com/koochyrat/SteamVRFrustumAdjust

Last edited:
I've had 8KX for about a month now and used VAM quite a bit. No issues with Index controllers (other than non-VAM root issues). I have VAM on root of C:

Interested in the the hand tracking module for Pimax... Do you prefer it to index for VAM? Is it janky or does it help with immersion?

I'm still waiting for the new Pimax hand tracking module, but you need also (Index) controllers for VaM menu operation. VaM lets you use both input at the same time and you can select if your hands are contrrolled by the (Index) controllers position and finger sensors or by hand tracking input.
Index has more stable tracking also outside of your view, but the finger motion is not 1:1 transfered to your ingame hands. The sensors only recognize your fingers when your hand is already nearly closed.
With Leap Motion your hand pose is transfered 1:1 to he ingame hands, but it is prone to occlussion and only works if your hands are mostly in the center of your view. Hope that the second issue is fixed with the new wide FOV Pimax hand motiion module. I will see.

Thanks for all the nice info, have the index controllers and got a leap motion delivered today (while i wait for the pimax version to stock up), going to be fun to test this out :)

Hi, could you guys help me with running vam on pimax. I have Pimax 8K X , with 3090 and 2base stations and valve index controlers.. i have no problem with other games. but if i run vam via luncher and then choose VR run. The game starts and is shown on monitor but ih HMD i just see picture with VAM logo and then infinite waiting alghough on monitor i see normal game manu with scene chooser. Also it connect both valve indes. (in background SteamVR is shown.

If i add game to Pimax Experience and run it from here. Game run, show in HMD, i see starting menu where you choose between Play and Edit, but thre is also Waiting red rotating hourglass and i cant do nothing. altough on monitor i also lower VAM menu.

Pleas help :) i bought whole new PC and headset to play with VAM :)

Back
Top Bottom