Roman environment

Assets Roman environment

The normal maps setting is a bit high causing the shadow effects to be a bit extreme
and there is some strange sheen to some of the bricks , but in all a good job .

The normal maps setting is a bit high causing the shadow effects to be a bit extreme
and there is some strange sheen to some of the bricks , but in all a good job .
yeah, noticing a large difference with the normals from Blender to Unity, like they get enhanced a lot. Sure is a learning process.

So I did play around with this asset in-engine, particularly using the Unity Asset Multi-Vamifier plugin to try to get it looking a little less rough? I'm not sure how much I succeeded. I went with just modifying all the materials at once, so it still remained rather tonally flat, IMO. I suppose if I really wanted to take the time, while I couldn't adjust the hues, I could at least adjust the diffuse offsets on individual brick materials to add more variety in the tone.
1652582375.png

So I did play around with this asset in-engine, particularly using the Unity Asset Multi-Vamifier plugin to try to get it looking a little less rough? I'm not sure how much I succeeded. I went with just modifying all the materials at once, so it still remained rather tonally flat, IMO. I suppose if I really wanted to take the time, while I couldn't adjust the hues, I could at least adjust the diffuse offsets on individual brick materials to add more variety in the tone.View attachment 122135
Oh I see, yeah.
I too felt it all was rather flat and similar in shading. I just don't know how to go about changing it. Suppose I can play around with the slider in Unity and see how it turns out, as well as make the textures darker in diffuse.

Oh I see, yeah.
I too felt it all was rather flat and similar in shading. I just don't know how to go about changing it. Suppose I can play around with the slider in Unity and see how it turns out, as well as make the textures darker in diffuse.
Yeah that would be a lot of work to have individual brick materials and would cost in more memory use .
i think you used 1 brick and duplicated it with the others sharing the same material and texture as brick 1 .
and may have used the array modifier
as an example may be do 2 bricks, the second 1 create new material ,
with PS or Gimp create a copy of the texture ,rotate the texture 180 and create a new normal map .
in blender with brick 1 and 2 join them together
and in object mode use the array modifier , use constant offset on the direction of your bricks may be on the y or x and use count to required amount
when your happy with it , press on apply
its like GTA they had clever ways in using materials and textures that gave the illusion of variety.

Array modifier using 2 squares

Blender-array.png

Last edited:
Yeah that would be a lot of work to have individual brick materials and would cost in more memory use .
i think you used 1 brick and duplicated it with the others sharing the same material and texture as brick 1 .
and may have used the array modifier
as an example may be do 2 bricks, the second 1 create new material ,
with PS or Gimp create a copy of the texture ,rotate the texture 180 and create a new normal map .
in blender with brick 1 and 2 join them together
and in object mode use the array modifier , use constant offset on the direction of your bricks may be on the y or x and use count to required amount
when your happy with it , press on apply
its like GTA they had clever ways in using materials and textures that gave the illusion of variety.

Array modifier using 2 squares

View attachment 122234
Thank you for the suggestion, that may do the trick :)
Getting the sense that variety is key in making environments/areas :D

Thank you for the suggestion, that may do the trick :)
Getting the sense that variety is key in making environments/areas :D
I can see you created this and applaud you for the hard effort of putting it all together in blender,
i am still learning things as i go along mainly with unity .
i do like your marble effect statues .
keep up the great work Sharr .

Sharr updated Roman environment with a new update entry:

Higher variety of textures and adjustment of shadows

With the feedback I had received, I made the environment feel less flat and more diverse.
Furthermore playing around with the shadows and shine of the environment.

Also made it easier to find the environment, as I have saved it as a scene with a skybox that fits well together with it.
The skybox by @Romolas you can find here: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/day-night-skyboxes.4770/

Read the rest of this update entry...

Back
Top Bottom