Release VAM 2.0 on steam? Is it possible?

Reasons to release on steam and effects
Pros:
  1. A LOT more exposure (the entire world), this is probably why other patreon supported games put out games there. Some just announce the game and don't release anything i.e. slaves of rome or haven't as of today. Some do tho and it seems to be working out for them.
  2. In theory, it'd be less likely to have virus issues, steam curates games
  3. Workshop that would be an additional place to host content and could still take donations externally
  4. Reasonable and non-invasive DRM by being hosted on steam
Cons:
  1. You couldn't promote it with anything TOO wacky or it'd get hit with the censor hammer
  2. You buy the game once and for the devs that would end their revenue stream UNLESS they offered SPECIAL content/updates faster etc for a patreon subscription or offered "support packs"
  • Number 2 is really a big disincentive for a dev who is doing well on patreon and isn't sure the extra exposure would net more money
This is of course only my opinion but it's backed up with evidence you can confirm yourself easily.

You buy the game once and for the devs that would end their revenue stream UNLESS they offered SPECIAL content/updates faster etc for a patreon subscription or offered "support packs"
I think a DLC for updating to version 2 and being more expensive (to compensate the one-time payment) is well-balanced.

Edit: I thought this thread was related to the new release of VaM to Steam, now I read that it was posted a year ago...

Last edited:
I think a DLC for updating to version 2 and being more expensive (to compensate the one-time payment) is well-balanced.

Edit: I thought this thread was related to the new release of VaM to Steam, now I read that it was posted a year ago...

No worries, ironically it did eventually go to steam and that will only help it become more well known.

That would be so bad as a main distribution platform since not in all countries Steam offers any adult content like entire Germany since years and as far as i know that will not change.
Steam Platform Devs are ignoring to offer a decent adult verification system since years and their solution is to just ban all adult content to german
people.

Hopefully more countries will force to integrate a adult verification system so that Steam has to change.
Its just about a silly one time +18 signup or current members one time age verification.

Vam 2 may end up on Steam one day, when it's finished, but 2.0 will absolutely not be.

Meshed has a business model that gives regular, consistent income each month, which is what's required for a program that will need to be under development for years.

If 2.0 went on steam, there would be a burst of early sales, a bunch of complaints that it barely has any features. A year or two from now, the money would run out, with little money coming in from new sales, and Meshed would have to close up shop and go get a real job.

Nobody wants that.

The current system works very well to fund ongoing development. Meshed would be crazy to change that.

Update on this: as I had feared, Steam removed VaMX (ref).
However previous owners of the game can still play it, so now I have some kind of VaM collector's edition.
The author has said that he will publish free vamX content for those who have the game, but I guess I'll have to say goodbye to Steam's VAM 2.X :(

Steam, for unclear reasons and without any chance at discussion, has removed VaMX from Steam.
that's kinda shady. it was surprising for me that they accepted it in the first place considering all the patreon going on and the hub, pushing users away from steam to download stuff from another site

but i don't think it means vam2 won't be accepted after this, it might still get there

Back
Top Bottom