Preview of my WIP Survival Horror Character System

PhapHazard

Reactions
Hi all,

I've been using VAM for quite some time now, but have not really posted anything. This is mainly due to many incomplete projects.
This is a preview post for my upcoming release of a Survival Horror Character System I've been working on. I have combined many of the essential plugins from our talented creators to create character movement similar to Resident Evil style game play. It allows WASD tank movement with strafing and you control the camera's turning with the mouse.
My goal is to be able to set it up as a Subscene so that users can download it and switch to whatever character they would like to use. I'm hoping to release a rough usable demo by end of month.

Any feedback is greatly welcome.

Below is the link to the preview video on my newly created YouTube channel.

*[Update]* 4/22/2023

Below is the link to the video for enemy damage test. Collisions still need a lot of work as well as damage balancing for all three weapons. I switched to the crosshair for the time being since the laser sights have some issues with the camera view. Once I find a better solution, they will be enabled again.

Thanks for your time.

- PhapHazard

Last edited:
Hi all,

I've been using VAM for quite some time now, but have not really posted anything. This is mainly due to many incomplete projects.
This is a preview post for my upcoming release of a Survival Horror Character System I've been working on. I have combined many of the essential plugins from our talented creators to create character movement similar to Resident Evil style game play. It allows WASD tank movement with strafing and you control the camera's turning with the mouse.
My goal is to be able to set it up as a Subscene so that users can download it and switch to whatever character they would like to use. I'm hoping to release a rough usable demo by end of month.

Any feedback is greatly welcome.

Below is the link to the preview video on my newly created YouTube channel.

Thanks for your time.

- PhapHazard
It does remind me a lot of the stiff movement and over-the-shoulder perspective we had in Resident Evil 4. But what is this, exactly? Is this purely cosmetic? This isn't really a game engine. Surely you can't actually make those weapons do "damage", or anything? Or am I wrong?

It does remind me a lot of the stiff movement and over-the-shoulder perspective we had in Resident Evil 4. But what is this, exactly? Is this purely cosmetic? This isn't really a game engine. Surely you can't actually make those weapons do "damage", or anything? Or am I wrong?
I'm actually working on making the enemy take damage with body parts using collision triggers on shapes. So it can be done.

@MacGruber - I'm actually using your IdlePoser Plugin for the aiming mode. Yes, I could really just make it in Unity, but I have no programming skills. This actually has resparked my interest into game development. I've been thinking about diving back into UE4 with Blueprints. But VAM for me is pretty much an open playground that I can try out a lot of ideas.

wow!! this is fucking awesome! in fact, it would be enough for me to just walk around the stage normally in VR and Desktop mode. Looking forward to

Thank you all for the great feedback. Wasn't too sure how this would be received since I scoured the hub and saw several Resident Evil looks I figured there are RE fans among the VAM community.

Wow, that looks amazing. I had an idea of making a scene with WASD movement and it's great to see that it's indeed possible.
How come you were able to make that without knowing programing though?

Does this work in VR? I would love it if you could have this in VR to walk around and shoot zombies etc.
Great work! Keep it up, this is awesome.

Actually, No, I would hate it. I am not sure I would be able to play this. I get scared easily :p I do love your work though. I have been toying with the idea of animated walking on your body when in VR. So far the Mocap plugin is the only one that lets you have legs, and of course you can't easily move around with the stick then.

@Laraviar - I'm using several plugins from our talent creators in the VAM community. I'm using JaxZoa's Conditional Actions plugin for input from the user. It allows for keyboard/controller/mouse support.

@Jiraiya - I don't use or have VR. Not sure if I would like the atmosphere in VR either. So I can't speak to how well it will work.

I'm still trying to figure out collisions as the speed in which the collision shape for the bullet fires from the crosshair seems to be too fast for VAM to register the collision. The collision shapes are currently very rough and larger than I would like, so accuracy is not very refined.

Also still trying to figure out best way to setup so that users can drop in their own scenes.

Lots more work still to be done.

Back
Top Bottom