Poll: Do you use VaM mostly in VR or Non-VR mode?

Do you use VaM mostly in VR or desktop mode?

• VR Mode

Votes: 84 51.9%
  • Non-VR Mode

Votes: 58 35.8%
  • I use both modes evenly

Votes: 20 12.3%

• Total voters

x3ro456

Reactions
Just curious about which demographic is larger. Some scenes work great in VR and some work better in non-vr. This makes me think vr vs non-vr usage it's just about even.

VaM was made for VR and is the Holy Grail for VR enthusiasts. This poll might maybe only show how many VaM users still do not have VR... with some exceptions of course. ;)

When I discovered VaM at first, I didn't even had a VR headset. I used desktop mode and thought: this is interesting. How is this in VR?
I bought a headset, tried it out and never started the desktop mode again.

When creating looks, I mostly use desktop and when I'm happy with the results, I do final edits in VR because there's usually some small flaws on the face wich i notice only when the model is right in front of me.

Creating hair is an other thing I can't magine not to do in VR. Leaning over or walk around to "style the hair" is so easy and natural. Same for difficult looks. Maybe there is a difference if your brand of VR controllers are being tracked fine enough. For Vive and Index I can say, it is more precise and intuitive in 3d than using the mouse.

The only time I don't use VR is when I am editing and testing a script. I do everything in VR. It's so much nicer to move around your scene to place things and pose things and see how they really look.
Desktop mode is a last resort if I can't keep taking the headset on and off for typing etc.

Add stuff in desktop, interact with stuff in VR. I also now prefer to download Patreon stuff from external browser, as in game one lags and stutters when it adds files.

If you use VAM without VR. You’re missing out.

hopefully they ran Explosion Limiter plugin
A7459EBF-E577-480C-9416-EDB595C23AC1.gif

Last edited:
Almost exclusively VR unless I am doing something that requires a lot of typing like creating several objects with triggers. Frequently I will modify those in the json file itself rather than in flat screen mode.

Desktop-only user and creator, here. I intend to get VR at some point, but desktop is fine for now. I'm very curious how my creation process will change once I have it. I see so many people talk about creating in VR and I just can't fathom doing it without a mouse and keyboard. I hope to be pleasantly surprised!

Desktop-only user and creator, here. I intend to get VR at some point, but desktop is fine for now. I'm very curious how my creation process will change once I have it. I see so many people talk about creating in VR and I just can't fathom doing it without a mouse and keyboard. I hope to be pleasantly surprised!
it's more precise for me in VR trying to align stuffs. You get the depth. Compare to desktop a flat picture. I don't want to be rude, but a lot of wells know creators, their looks is so bad in VR.

Last edited:
it's more precise for me in VR trying to align stuffs. You get the depth. Compare to desktop a flat picture. I don't want to be rude, but a lot of wells know creators, their looks is so bad VR.
Don't worry, I take no offense. It's just a different way of getting the work done.

People have been using "flat pictures" for 3d art in movies, games, and more for a long time now. Obviously, a VR user is going to notice things that just aren't easily visible without it, but I think general alignment and quality content creation is still possible in desktop mode, even for VR users.

Don't worry, I take no offense. It's just a different way of getting the work done.

People have been using "flat pictures" for 3d art in movies, games, and more for a long time now. Obviously, a VR user is going to notice things that just aren't easily visible without it, but I think general alignment and quality content creation is still possible in desktop mode, even for VR users.

A good part of this difference would maybe be, that in desktop mode the girl is moving around on your flat screen, maybe 15cm high, and in VR the girl is standing virtually in life size in front of you... that is more than 10 times bigger ... like you would always maximum zoom in on the flat screen.
Plus, the human eye is trained all life long to look at people in 3D.

Only recently started playing in Desktop mode, always used it in VR for years now.

Tend to use non-VR mode for specific right angle positioning of control points, typing and other menu stuff.

Otherwise yea, VR.

VR for creating looks, hairstyles, scene setup, lighting, and animating. Once I have an animated scene done I like to load up miscreated's pose camera and watch it in desktop.

When I discovered VaM at first, I didn't even had a VR headset. I used desktop mode and thought: this is interesting. How is this in VR?
I bought a headset, tried it out and never started the desktop mode again.

Happened the same to me. (y)

The difference between VR and Desktop is simple: In Desktop mode it's like you are watching a camera feed, in VR you are in the scene caputred by that said camera.

I think... both modes are differently fun... but, i use mostly VR.

Back
Top Bottom