[Obsolete for 1.20+] HOW TO ENABLE VRSS on GeForce 445.45 and above for your RTX cards [By Kimboo]

Guides [Obsolete for 1.20+] HOW TO ENABLE VRSS on GeForce 445.45 and above for your RTX cards [By Kimboo]

ClubJulze

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
clubjulze
ClubJulze submitted a new resource:

HOW TO ENABLE VRSS on GeForce 445.45 and above for your RTX cards [By Kimboo] - This is for RTX cards only. Guide by kimboo. I'm posting it here for achiving purposes.

Originally posted by kimboo on the Official VaM Discord. I though I would share it with you guys. I tested it out and it works amazingly. Below is his exact guide.

WARNING: You probably shouldn't try this if you feel challenging understanding any of the steps below.

Only works on turing based GPUs.
1. Go into NVIDIA control panel, select Manage 3D Settings (The global setting), scroll to Virtual Reality – Variable Rate Supersampling and select the "Adaptive/Always on"...

Read more about this resource...

I applied to Nvidia to be considered as an app that is automatically enabled without the VRChat hack, but I have not heard back from them. I guess that is no surprise for a small-scale adult-oriented project. :(

It's dumb that Nvidia doens't have an option to add an executable as a VR app.

Last edited:
I think they are still in a beta period for this, and not all applications can use it without rendering issues. I suspect in the near future they will have a way to enable an application to work without having to get on an official list.

Unfortunately it doesn't work, i tried the command several times and nothing works, if I try them again i get this: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. when i run the bt file it says Windows cannot find VRChat...,

Unfortunately it doesn't work, i tried the command several times and nothing works, if I try them again i get this: Cannot create a file when that file already exists. when i run the bt file it says Windows cannot find VRChat...,
This has been tested by lots of people, not just me, so it's not an issue with the guide.
What is your GPU?
Did you follow the steps exactly? Such as opening CMD in admin?

This has been tested by lots of people, not just me, so it's not an issue with the guide.
What is your GPU?
Did you follow the steps exactly? Such as opening CMD in admin?
Yes, i used admin mode, all the steps etc.. my GPu is RTX 2060, anyway thx. i will check see if is something else

Yes, i used admin mode, all the steps etc.. my GPu is RTX 2060, anyway thx. i will check see if is something else
I'll see if I can add some clarifications to the guide. I'm going to double check my VR machine just in case.

is anyone else trying this out? i just bought a 2070 and when i compare VRSS on ("always on") and off i can't see any difference on my OG Vive. when i set Render Scale to .5 the image is completely blurry and MSAA has no seeming effect.

Tried this on my msi gaming x 1660ti. It actually decreased performance for me.
Usually my settings are:
  • Scale: 0.9
  • Shader: Medium
  • AA:4x
  • Pixel Count: 3
  • Smoothing: 1
  • Glow: Off
  • Body physics: Off
With these settings - in most scenes - I get a frametime of 8.5ms. With this tweak this increases to about 11ms.

That is incorrect. VRSS is available for Turing-architecture based cards, which the 1660ti is. I have VRSS enabled for Talos principle VR and Boneworks and it works great for those games.

Edit: Reference: https://developer.nvidia.com/vrworks/graphics/variablerateshading

I see. Well, there may be issues with running it on cards lower than what is recommended by Nvidia:

Minimum Hardware:GeForce GTX 1650 Super
Recommended Hardware:GeForce RTX 2070 Super (higher performance GPUs will provide superior image quality)

I always run this with VaM (haven't tried it yet with 1.20) and I've only seen improvements. Make sure you are following the instructions exactly. But due to the fact that each piece of hardware acts differently with similar settings, it's hard to guarantee that this will help you.

Hi Clubjulze, I am wondering why your method to use VRSS for VAM is obsolete after 1.20+
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom