Enable Ray Tracing in VaM (only for Nvidia GPUs and desktop mode)

Guides Enable Ray Tracing in VaM (only for Nvidia GPUs and desktop mode)

Nope. Works perfectly fine. Just had time to test it.

@9gagdddd since I'm the kind of guy who really do not like to change the core files of a game, and it also triggers errors as @Mofme says, you got a way simpler solution to handle this kind of "faking another app" :
  • Duplicate VaM.exe, rename it SOTTR.exe
  • Create a symlink of "VaM_Data" as "SOTTR_Data" in the same folder, using command line mklink /D "c:\yourpath\SOTTR_Data" "c:\yourpath\VaM_Data"
  • Not mandatory : if you want to keep this feature and use it in VR, duplicate VaM (OpenVR).bat as VaM NVFilter (OpenVR).bat and edit the file to put the right exe filename in there.

With this, you can use VaM normally to update your content and use the internal hub. Update VaM if needed ( restore files or whatever ), and have an alternative version that handles filters.

Hi there. I try that feature and i think in some case the results are astonishing. but i have problem. if i try to take screenshot ingame it do not see RTX light at all. i try it with ingame screen app , and bandicam software, though standard windows PrtScren work good. Do you guys could suggest good app to take screns from this game with RTX on ? (also to record movie, couse again with Bandicam it do not see RTX effect at all. ) . Ive atached bandicam/windows screen comparison. Diffrence may not be soo big but look at that shadow behind hairs on face, or in armpits :)
RTX ON_OFF_Comparisonv2.jpg
TLOU RTX comparison.jpg
SOTTR 2022-03-04 19-37-42-699.jpg

Any way to make this work with MMD player? I'm assuming it has something to do with the renaming.

Seems the latest drivers broke this, any workarounds?

To clarify : The game filter setting is now saying a supported game is required, even after changing the name of the .exe file and the data folder.

Below tips resolved my issue, this still works.

Last edited:
Just tried this.

Using the latest NVIDIA Game Ready drivers (with RTX 3080 12GB). Version 516.59.

I do the whole process, renaming VaM.exe and the Data folder, open the GeForce Exp UI (Alt+Z) in the game (in a scene I wanted to try this with) and found the Game Filter stuff, added one filter, scrolled down to the filter in question here (SSRTGI) and... I got a message pop (top-right corner of the screen within the GUI of GeForce Experience) saying that this application doesn't have the "Depth Information" required.

@Solmak @BStarG2 I've had these errors pop-up at random too. Usually restarting VAM fixes it. If not, then clearing your temp folders in windows works.
Win+R (or open Run) -> temp or %temp%
Delete everything in these folders, skip anything that can't be deleted. Make sure you get 'C:\Windows\Temp' and 'C:\Users\<your_username>\AppData\Local\Temp' on opening them, don't delete any other stuff.

Hi, do you may know if it stoped working ? i use it for quite time and recently it just show unsupported application :( also i cannot use nvidia shadow play to record movie

For me it doesn't work anymore. Even renaming the EXE and the Data folder it says "A supported game is required to use this feature".
It was working with previous versions of Nvidia driver. Now I'm on 527.56.

At this point I think it's better to use ReShade for all the various effects you'd want. Same for Screen-Space Ray Tracing (which is what basically ReShade can do). The actual shader is Pascal Gilcher's shader on Patreon.

The NVIDIA / GeForce Experience method was basically doing the same thing, with less ways to adjust it. It's just better to use Gilcher's shader and adjust values of the effects to go with more performance or more quality, etc. It can even be adjusted on a per-Scene basis.

The only 'downside' to using ReShade is that you should disabled any other in-VAM Post Effects to ensure compatibility (and avoid conflicting effects, etc).

At this point I think it's better to use ReShade for all the various effects you'd want. Same for Screen-Space Ray Tracing (which is what basically ReShade can do). The actual shader is Pascal Gilcher's shader on Patreon.

The NVIDIA / GeForce Experience method was basically doing the same thing, with less ways to adjust it. It's just better to use Gilcher's shader and adjust values of the effects to go with more performance or more quality, etc. It can even be adjusted on a per-Scene basis.

The only 'downside' to using ReShade is that you should disabled any other in-VAM Post Effects to ensure compatibility (and avoid conflicting effects, etc).

Gave this a go since my SSRTGI filter broke as well and it seems to be getting the job done.

HOWEVER, as you mentioned, I have to disable VaM's MSAA for the Pascal's shader to work which makes hair look very grainy/noisy. Before we could have both enabled and everything looked great.

I tried using the MSAA shader and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, probably for the same reason the built-in MSAA has to be disabled. Here's a comparison pic but it looks much worst in motion.

Any suggestions for this one?
Hair.png

Gave this a go since my SSRTGI filter broke as well and it seems to be getting the job done.

HOWEVER, as you mentioned, I have to disable VaM's MSAA for the Pascal's shader to work which makes hair look very grainy/noisy. Before we could have both enabled and everything looked great.

I tried using the MSAA shader and it doesn't seem to be doing anything, probably for the same reason the built-in MSAA has to be disabled. Here's a comparison pic but it looks much worst in motion.

Any suggestions for this one?View attachment 193433

Glad you got it working. It's what I use myself, with per-Scene adjustments on the values.

To help with Aliasing or 'grainy' effects on edges and hairs (especially non-CUA Assets hairs) I simply use more ReShade AA methods. I myself use a combination of ReShade's FXAA, along with MSAA. Just using FXAA alone already helps a lot for the hair in particular (at least for my own tastes, could be a very subjective thing).

FXAA with 1.000 on Subpix, 0.125 on Edge Detection, and simply disabling Darkness Threshold for a start (value at 0.000), helps a lot. Then, using SMAA as well (along with FXAA) with Default values (Luminance Detection should be default too) should help with the 'rest' that FXAA can't help with. Now yes, FXAA does produce a bit of general screen blurring, but it's ReShade... you'd have hundreds of solutions to 'fight' that a bit without destroying the anti-Aliasing effect itself. So you can fight that with other shaders like Smart_Sharp, Clarity, GaussianBlurCS (with negative values to sort of produce a 'reverse' blurring effects from FXAA) or also Filmic Sharpen, etc. You just have to explore around, test one by one or combine a few together. You'll sort it out for your own tastes.

Also, for hairs (non CUA Asset hairs mostly) you can go in the hair's own Look tab and play around with how 'thick' or spread out (or compressed) the hairs will be, which can sometimes also act like a "multiplier" of either good or bad visuals (and that's of course besides how some hairs are very heavy on taxing the CPU but that's besides the point of 'performance' here, since we're mostly talking about hair aliasing or grain effect; but those hair effects can be - to some degree - a 'byproduct' of the hair's own Looks values as well, which is always good to consider).

Hope it helps!

Glad you got it working. It's what I use myself, with per-Scene adjustments on the values.

To help with Aliasing or 'grainy' effects on edges and hairs (especially non-CUA Assets hairs) I simply use more ReShade AA methods. I myself use a combination of ReShade's FXAA, along with MSAA. Just using FXAA alone already helps a lot for the hair in particular (at least for my own tastes, could be a very subjective thing).

FXAA with 1.000 on Subpix, 0.125 on Edge Detection, and simply disabling Darkness Threshold for a start (value at 0.000), helps a lot. Then, using SMAA as well (along with FXAA) with Default values (Luminance Detection should be default too) should help with the 'rest' that FXAA can't help with. Now yes, FXAA does produce a bit of general screen blurring, but it's ReShade... you'd have hundreds of solutions to 'fight' that a bit without destroying the anti-Aliasing effect itself. So you can fight that with other shaders like Smart_Sharp, Clarity, GaussianBlurCS (with negative values to sort of produce a 'reverse' blurring effects from FXAA) or also Filmic Sharpen, etc. You just have to explore around, test one by one or combine a few together. You'll sort it out for your own tastes.

Also, for hairs (non CUA Asset hairs mostly) you can go in the hair's own Look tab and play around with how 'thick' or spread out (or compressed) the hairs will be, which can sometimes also act like a "multiplier" of either good or bad visuals (and that's of course besides how some hairs are very heavy on taxing the CPU but that's besides the point of 'performance' here, since we're mostly talking about hair aliasing or grain effect; but those hair effects can be - to some degree - a 'byproduct' of the hair's own Looks values as well, which is always good to consider).

Hope it helps!

Really appreciate the detailed write up! Seems like there are lots of options I'll have to explore, will give these a go next time I have a chance to work on a scene.

I almost never want to go back to Oculus after experiencing this on the desktop. Freaking Beautiful, not to mention its not the only filters available.
SSRTGI_NOPE.png
SSRTGI_YES.png
Samara (1).png

Attachments

• Samara (1).png
    Samara (1).png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
Hi Guys, does it still work? i set i as in guide, run with sottr.exe load scene but as i pres ALt F3 it gives info in left up corner that function require application thats supported. i can make ingame picture with Alt+F1 with nvidia functions, or record videos wth nvidia but i cant seem to run that nvidia screeneffect. maybe the proplbem is that i run vam in 8K ?

Back
Top Bottom