Enable Ray Tracing in VaM (only for Nvidia GPUs and desktop mode)

Guides Enable Ray Tracing in VaM (only for Nvidia GPUs and desktop mode)

vamrtx

Reactions
9gagdddd submitted a new resource:

Enable Ray Tracing in VaM (only for Nvidia GPUs and desktop mode) - Guide to enable raytracing filter in VaM desktop mode for Nvidia GPUs with GeForce Experience.

Nvidia released a new driver 511.23 (https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/news/god-of-war-game-ready-driver/) which adds new depth-based filters from the Reshade author. One of these is a Ray Tracing ReShade Filter called SSRTGI. You can use this filter in Nvidia Freestyle using the GeForce Experience overlay menu (usually Alt+F3). This improves graphics quite a bit, especially shadows and bounce lighting from objects onto characters, but also has a 30-40% FPS hit. Although...

Read more about this resource...

Will this work with supershot (built in screenshot function) or would it be similar to reshade where you if you wanted higher resolution you would need to run dsr at the higher resolution and use printscreen or the nvidia screenshot key to get screenshots with the effect?

Will this work with supershot (built in screenshot function) or would it be similar to reshade where you if you wanted higher resolution you would need to run dsr at the higher resolution and use printscreen or the nvidia screenshot key to get screenshots with the effect?

I'm getting this with or without supershot. The effect just stays "in the scene" and seems to bypass the screenshot tool. (same via window camera)

The resulting screenshots are completely bypassing the effect.

Capture.PNG

(Captured this with snipping tool so I should imagine the DSR method will work fine)

I tried this and it will not let me use the filter. Says it's still unsuported.
Hmm.. do you get 'A supported game is required to use this feature' or not get the GeForce Experience overlay at all?
Some quick debugging checks, can you see if your driver is 511.23+, and GeForce Experience is 3.24.0.126+. Then check if you are running SOTTR.exe in the task manager rather than VaM.exe?

No sadly it doesn't work with built in screenshots. The GeForce Experience screenshot(Alt+F1) or any other external tool works. But then you're limited to game's current resolution.
Can you describe or link how you get DSR to run VaM at a higher resolution than native? I tried the DSR-Factors setting, and set VaM resolution with both command line and the config tool, but it still runs at native desktop resolution.

DSR upscales your resolution while running it the standard 1080 for example. In the vam config bat you set vam to run at 4k resolution. It will look normal like 1080 on your screen but screenshots taken with the alt-f1 or reshade screenshot key will be taken at the DSR 4k if that makes sense.

It is kind of a hassle and you have the performance hit of running at 4k which is why I usually don't do this and prefer supershot unless I'm doing some sort of special photo shoot.

Thanks! Maybe my setup is bugged, when I set vam to 4k res in config, Alt+F1 screenshot still gives me native 1440p screens. When I change my desktop resolution as well to the DSR 4k resolution, it works in Photo Mode (Alt+F2) snap but still not with Alt+F1. Ahhh.. quite a hassle to change desktop res everytime.

Even when I rename the VaM exe, the taskbar has it called VaM and I get the unsupported game error.

I'm using Nvidia driver 511.23 with Geforce Experience version 3.24.0.126 and I see SOTTR.exe in taskmanager, yet when I press Alt + F3 I continue to see Unsupported..

Hello, I dont have a problem with the installation. But everything have a kind of Ghost Shadow, but I dont use depth of field. Is there any Setting I missed. Can anybody help?

Just tried & works perfectly on my PC. Just make sure you update your driver & GeForce exp to the newest version. Other than that, I think it may not work on non-GTX3000 series cards tho.

Just tried & works perfectly on my PC. Just make sure you update your driver & GeForce exp to the newest version. Other than that, I think it may not work on non-GTX3000 series cards tho.

Interesting, did you have to do anything special? I seem to have every qualification that I've seen, RTX 3080, updated drivers and geforce exp... correct .exe but it doesn't work.

Even when I rename the VaM exe, the taskbar has it called VaM and I get the unsupported game error.
If you use a bat script to run it change it to SOTTR.exe there too. Example:
Code:
START "SOTTR" SOTTR.exe -vrmode None
You should see SOTTR.exe in task manager

Hello, I dont have a problem with the installation. But everything have a kind of Ghost Shadow, but I dont use depth of field. Is there any Setting I missed. Can anybody help?
Does it look like this?
Buggy ghosting.jpg

If so, I get this when I run the game in windowed mode, and then make it fullscreen with Alt+Enter. Start the game in fullscreen mode to fix this.

@Switch @heyheyhey Hmm.. just to refresh things, can you reinstall the driver with GeForce Experience and restart. See if that works.
RTX gpus isn't a requirement for this.
Can you confirm if GeForce Experience and the SSRTGI shader works in other games? Easy way to check is to install the free Shadow of The Tomb Raider demo from steam. SSTRGI is supported for that game.

Does it look like this?
View attachment 91050
If so, I get this when I run the game in windowed mode, and then make it fullscreen with Alt+Enter. Start the game in fullscreen mode to fix this.
It was interesting, I started in fullsceen and if I switch to windowed mode the problem goes away. But I have ever problems to get started Vam in my native screen resolution (mostly used Vam in VR, so it was not in my interest). But now I changed the command line to this "START "VaM" SOTTR.exe -vrmode None -screen-width 3440 -screen-height 1440". Then I hold down ctrl when started and removed the checkmark on windowed mode and now it runs perfect in my native solution. Big thanks for your help and congratiulations for your Mod. It is really great and makes Vam in Desktop Mode so much better. Too bad that this Mod not work in VR.

One problem is that renaming VaM.exe to SOTTR.exe breaks in-game Hub (throws SSL error)... Otherwise works beautifully. Perfect reshade and PostMagic replacement!

This same thing can be done using RTGI reshade (support any game) which works for any amd and nvidia cards, I have used it for vam it works great even on my weak 1660 ti laptop. (5 -10 fps hit)

Since using this I am getting troubles of frequent black screen, I need to reboot my computer. I did troubleshooting that my computer is still working okay, because I used chrome remote desktop and it can see my desktop. But here is the problem, I cannot find my graphic card in the device manager! the system can't detect my GPU then. I wonder if it is Nvidia driver's problem then somebody else shall be experiencing same issue.

Since using this I am getting troubles of frequent black screen, I need to reboot my computer. I did troubleshooting that my computer is still working okay, because I used chrome remote desktop and it can see my desktop. But here is the problem, I cannot find my graphic card in the device manager! the system can't detect my GPU then. I wonder if it is Nvidia driver's problem then somebody else shall be experiencing same issue.

Definitely a driver-related issue.

Back
Top Bottom