Resource icon

Guides How to Use Adobe Substance Painter to Make skins for your Vam Models

gameguy199

Reactions
gameguy199 submitted a new resource:

How to Use Adobe Substance Painter to Make skins for your Vam Models - How to Use Adobe Substance Painter to Make skins for your Vam Models

I wanted to help others ho like me are frustrated with the lack of instructional videos of how to export your character model's .OBJ files from VaM into Adobe Substance Painter, well as somepaint them, export them and apply them.

So i decided to make a video about it.

Im by no means a master Youtuber or Vam'er so the video is very amature; but hopefully this video will help others get their foot in the door.

Read more about this resource...

Thanks you video. But I have problem about how to import obj file. I export my model as obj and import it into substance painter. It will show a lot at texture set list, as same as 4:48 at your video. And I notice you import a obj file again in 27:29 and the texture set list only show Body with 4 UV tiles.
How to do that?

Hi. I'm still super confused about something.

So for example at 25:04

Untick stuff and say "we won't need that stuff"

Like, what I am unticking? Why?

"We don't need all of these because we are going to do something different"

And then export 7 files and say "so this is how you do the exported model that Vam will give you"

Very confused by this part.

I know we need 4 textures, but the file exported over is all separated and when I export them like the vid they are seperated.

e.g. lips not connected to face

Last edited:
Thanks you video. But I have problem about how to import obj file. I export my model as obj and import it into substance painter. It will show a lot at texture set list, as same as 4:48 at your video. And I notice you import a obj file again in 27:29 and the texture set list only show Body with 4 UV tiles.
How to do that?

Yes. by default Vamp exports several textures separately, and ive yet to figure out how to prevent this.

at 27:29 the im importing the models provided by "MalMorality"

Hi. I'm still super confused about something.

So for example at 25:04

Untick stuff and say "we won't need that stuff"

Like, what I am unticking? Why?

"We don't need all of these because we are going to do something different"

And then export 7 files and say "so this is how you do the exported model that Vam will give you"

Very confused by this part.

I know we need 4 textures, but the file exported over is all separated and when I export them like the vid they are seperated.

e.g. lips not connected to face
1. So all those things i was unchecking and sayng i dont need; were the textures for like the finger nails, the lips, the tops of the legs, ect
Because i was using the OBJ that VaM provided it came with all these textures that i did not need at the time, since i was only doing a face texture.
so i unchecked them.

2. So what i was saying is that if you are deadset on using the model that you exported from VaM, coloring it in substance painter and then reimporting it, that is how you do that. You are correct the files are all separate and what you will have to do is then, stretch and fit each texture onto a picture of the face using different layers in photoshop, paintnet, gimp, ect. Its a very time consuming process, but its how you have to do it, using ONLY the tools that VaM and substance painter provide.

3. the remainder of the video was a way for me to show off a shortcut that was provided by "MalMorality" using some textures she rigged up (though im not sure how she did it)

1. So all those things i was unchecking and sayng i dont need; were the textures for like the finger nails, the lips, the tops of the legs, ect
Because i was using the OBJ that VaM provided it came with all these textures that i did not need at the time, since i was only doing a face texture.
so i unchecked them.

2. So what i was saying is that if you are deadset on using the model that you exported from VaM, coloring it in substance painter and then reimporting it, that is how you do that. You are correct the files are all separate and what you will have to do is then, stretch and fit each texture onto a picture of the face using different layers in photoshop, paintnet, gimp, ect. Its a very time consuming process, but its how you have to do it, using ONLY the tools that VaM and substance painter provide.

3. the remainder of the video was a way for me to show off a shortcut that was provided by "MalMorality" using some textures she rigged up (though im not sure how she did it)

Thank you for taking the time to reply.

Back
Top Bottom