VAM / DAZ Gen2 to Substance Painter UDIM guide

Guides VAM / DAZ Gen2 to Substance Painter UDIM guide

I get 2 obj files when I hit export obj and mtl files in 'control and physics' one named renevey.obj and one named renevey-skinned.obj. Which one should I use?
The revised tut is very helpful - thanks.

I get 2 obj files when I hit export obj and mtl files in 'control and physics' one named renevey.obj and one named renevey-skinned.obj. Which one should I use?
The revised tut is very helpful - thanks.
Both of them should be usable. the skinned version uses the pose of model in VAM, while the non skinned version uses the default T-pose

Sorry another question - I have gotten to actually paint VAM G2F in Painter - but how do I export the textures from SP in VAM compatible format i.e. Face -Torso - Limbs - Genitals?

Sorry another question - I have gotten to actually paint VAM G2F in Painter - but how do I export the textures from SP in VAM compatible format i.e. Face -Torso - Limbs - Genitals?
I'm not sure about the exact specs/export preset to use in SP (I'm pretty new to texturing), but you will need the Base_colour_UDIMnumber, Normal_OpenGL_UDIMnumber, and maybe the Metallic_UDIMnumber and Roughness_UDIMnumber maps from the SP export folder. you can use them with these names in VAM, too, but you need to load the one by one into the respective texture slots. So I prefer to rename them and use the import from folder in VAM. Each UDIMnumber represents one UDIM grid = one map in VAM. So say you had the eyes in Slot one, the UDIM number for the files exportet from SP would be 1001.

Hi dude, what do you mean by ''open .obj with an editor''
In windows, you can use notepad. just drag and drop the obj file on an open notepad, or use notepad's file/open with the filter set to all files.
Then crtl+H to search and replace the usemtl with g in the file, then save it.

I have finally got a custom obj with morphs lined up with the texture sets exported to SP. I cannot get imported textures onto the the texture sets,. I can't find an SP tutorial - any ideas on what I'm doing not doing that the textures won't drag and drop into the fill layer?

I have finally got a custom obj with morphs lined up with the texture sets exported to SP. I cannot get imported textures onto the the texture sets,. I can't find an SP tutorial - any ideas on what I'm doing not doing that the textures won't drag and drop into the fill layer?
Did you import your textures into the SP rack first ? (see:
from aprox 11:25 in)

thanks, just want to drop that I added a template a while back

In windows, you can use notepad. just drag and drop the obj file on an open notepad, or use notepad's file/open with the filter set to all files.
Then crtl+H to search and replace the usemtl with g in the file, then save it.
there was not occurance of 'usemtl' in the obj

Thanks for making a guide! I wanted to do my own textures in SP so I tried following but I fail at step 10/11.
I don't know if Blender or VAM changed things up after an update, but there are is no "UDIM Grid" Section and I couldn't make it work so far. Could anyone help me?
Edit: Also there is no "Move" panel when I drag the Selected UV.

Thanks for making a guide! I wanted to do my own textures in SP so I tried following but I fail at step 10/11.
I don't know if Blender or VAM changed things up after an update, but there are is no "UDIM Grid" Section and I couldn't make it work so far. Could anyone help me?
Edit: Also there is no "Move" panel when I drag the Selected UV.
yeah, Blender and UDIM seems to be allways WIP, it seems. It changed somewhat from the version I used when I created the guide, and the recent version of Blender (v3.3.1). Now, you will need to change the image format in the sidepanel on the UV window (press "n" when the mousecursor is in the UV window to toggle on/off) from "single image" to "UDIM tiles".
1669732598862.png

then you need to click on "fill tile" on the 1001 UDIM tile in the list and set it to the right resolution (most likely 4096x4096, I did also add alpha).
1669732731726.png

then you can click on the "+" to the right of the UDIM list, to add more UDIM tiles, set the number of tiles to 8, and click "ok" to add the tiles.
1669732873952.png

now, you should have all the UDIM tiles, and you can move the vertices (in the UV space). In this case, I selected the legs by material (I did not use the step to convert the materials to polygroups with a text editor, that step is obsolete with my script/template, anyways.), then pressed "g" (to move), then "x" (to move along the x axis), then "1" to move the selected vertices one unit (= 1 UDIM tile) to the right.
1669733223269.png

That said, you should realy try out my template/script, it only does what you would do by hand, but much faster, and with just a click on the start button in the script/text section. You just need to use the right template (female, or male in 2 variants, because they come with 2 different UV sets), import the OBJ (use the newer improved wavefront OBJ importer), and reload the template if you want to convert another model (or click though the errors, but reloading the template (from the "recent files" list in Blender) is faster.
1669733551389.png

after running the script, export the OBJ (with the newer wavefront OBJ exporter), but disable "materials" in the export settings.
1669733661182.png

First of all, thanks for the quick reply! I don't have any options in Blender under "Image" and was about to give up. I didn't know that you made a script, and after failing three times (because I used the legacy import, sorry I'm new to blender) it seems to have worked! It looks right in Substance Painter, now I'm gonna get to work finally, thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom