Question Movie making and post magic.

Aminator

Reactions
I want to try and make a short film and Im curious what process others use.
Should I use post magic and luts or should I wait until I have the video in DaVinci resolve? Or just use the depth of field and motion blur in post magic?
I'm using the Eosin plugin for video render. Does post magic have to be added to the empty atom the Eosin plugin is on?

Also I'm guessing the lighting is the most important part in VAM when making movies. Should I steer clear of custom community assets and try to use only atoms?
Right now I'm using a kitchen asset and it would be tricky to rebuild it. Especially the appliances.

I started doing something similar a week or so ago and you can just add post magic to any empty atom but it could save a bit of time having it on the same atom as the eosin plugin.

I believe the post magic and lut's are enough to get really good results tbh but I'm glad you bought it up because it just accrued to me that if you wanted to change something after rendering the videos then it would be a pain in the arse to re-record something just because of an after effect change. So it depends on how confident you are in your decision making.

Lighting is always one of the top things to take care of but I myself am still learning about setting up good lighting.

I am sure I've read somewhere that it is not illegal to share pictures and videos of depictions of art but don't quote me on that. Your not sharing the actual assets, just the image of it so I don't see a problem with it unless you were sharing it as a scene within VAM itself with all the assets, then you would have some issues.

Hope this helped even a little. I am interested in your project and would like to know more cause I love this kind of stuff.

Upvote 0
I want to try and make a short film and Im curious what process others use.
Should I use post magic and luts or should I wait until I have the video in DaVinci resolve? Or just use the depth of field and motion blur in post magic?
I'm using the Eosin plugin for video render. Does post magic have to be added to the empty atom the Eosin plugin is on?

Also I'm guessing the lighting is the most important part in VAM when making movies. Should I steer clear of custom community assets and try to use only atoms?
Right now I'm using a kitchen asset and it would be tricky to rebuild it. Especially the appliances.

Hey, i have the problem that the Postmagic always goes to the Monitor and has no effect in the eosin plughin :( ... HELP Please !

I found the problem ... the Eosin player cant operate with Postmagic when you have vam in VR mode

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I believe the post magic and lut's are enough to get really good results tbh
PostMagic produces actually terrible results. There is a reason I don't maintain that anymore...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Effects you can do in DaVinci, you should probaby do in DaVinci. Of course, things that need depth information (e.g. Depth of Field) may be a problem.

Upvote 0
I'd love to hear someone's recommendations about lighting and plug-ins for shooting video from a VAM scene. I'm working on my lighting, but MacGruber's comment about PostMagic makes me wonder if there's a better replacement now?

Upvote 0
Reshade? It's an external tool that works with lots of games. But it has its own limitations.

I like reshade but have had trouble finding the Matcap outline filter to do cell shading, how did it disappear from the internet?!?

One other thing i'm not 100% sure about but I don't think that Eosin can capture reshade, please correct me if i'm wrong!

Upvote 0
PostMagic produces actually terrible results. There is a reason I don't maintain that anymore...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Effects you can do in DaVinci, you should probaby do in DaVinci. Of course, things that need depth information (e.g. Depth of Field) may be a problem.
HAHA I forgot about this post. How naïve I was then. Only just started using davinci and from what I've seen it can do, it makes me wonder why some low level artists still pay top dollar for programs that aren't all that much better (from what I have seen anyway).

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom