Question Memory management

epi.noah

Featured Contributor
Reactions
I start VaM. It uses 2GB (What the Task Manager reports. Yours might be different).
I load a scene. It uses 10-14GB (depends on the scene, how bloated your VaM is, and your setup)
I do a hard reset. It uses 8-9GB.

Questions:
1. Is there any way to get there without a hard reset (any "command" to make it drop anything that is not being used from memory but keep running)
2. Should I give up on this considering even hard reset doesn't get us all the way to restarting VaM.
3. I start VaM. Load a scene. It uses x amount of ram. I do a hard reset. Load the same scene. Now it uses more. Should I drop trying to make merge load scene work properly to switch between scenes.

I genuinely believe there is memory leak.
Somewhere someone said that going from 8GB to 16GB (or was it 16 to 32?) increased initial ram usage (couple GBs).
Basically It doesn't matter how much ram you have or add, VaM is going to eat it all. :whistle:

A:
1. I don't think there is command/trigger to unload unused content, maybe someone can make a plugin?
2. You can't free up back to startup stage, only client restart. So yes?
3. Merge loading doesn't unload loose stuff, so yes?

Upvote 0
Thank you.

I have a showcase scene coming, putting all my assets in a scene for creators to easily customize any scene that is made with VR in mind.

I was going to use merge load to go to the next scene by default (by clearing everything on the scene first). It would also allow me to keep some changes that the user made to the room into the next scene. But if the memory keeps getting bloated, that will kill performance, so I'll revert back to regular loading (and make sure the scenes can all be started individually after a clean start of VaM)

Upvote 0
Merge loading another scene should be faster than loading scene normally.
If used right and you reuse parts(atoms) from previous scene that is.
But if merge loading for sake of loading into a another (new) scene, then it could perform worse than regular scene load.

Idk how huge scenes are but did you try experimenting with subscenes?
Loading subscenes is kinda like merge loading another scene, "without loading" black sceen.
You can have multiple subscenes, entire enviroment or parts only.
It could be faster than merge load, but also total freeze (depending on size).
EDIT: by freeze I mean, with scenes you have loading screen, with subscenes you don't...so client freezes while loading.

Upvote 0
I'm definitely using subscenes. Tried to use merge load for some other reason but I guess I won't have to (I was trying to clear only the stuff that won't be in the next scene, keep the ones that are going to be there, hoping it would be better for memory management but I don't think it is)
Thank you.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom