Question Replace VAM 1.x VAR Management?

Fferrett

Reactions
It looks like VAM2.x may be a "notinmylifetimeware" and there is a thriving community of VAM 1.x creators.

There are a lot of bolt-on solutions to attempt to deal with the poor resource management of VAM 1.x. What is wrong with the concept of "Take 3 months off of VAM2.x and improve the 1.x VAR management performance problem... " Seems like a great way to add value to the existing customer base and even grow it. Existing subscribers may even pay for a tier improvement to fund the development. I've stopped hoping for a VAM2 release update, so I'm not holding my breath on that. Reminds me of that XstoryPlayer saga.

There's no major VAR management performance problem, there's a major "didn't read the guides" problem. Almost all issues related to poorly packaged VARs are solved by reading the guides or spending a tiny fraction of time compared to making a resource in practicing how to package well.
I've helped a lot of newcomers with making VARs for their first resources and in less than a day they went from a super messy resource with a hundred dependencies to a perfectly packaged VAR with only the required dependencies. You just need to read the guide on where those dependencies usually come from, package in a clean place, and voilá, a perfect VAR.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty certain that Meshed already stated that the problem isn't with VARs in general, but the way that morphs are cached. If you have 5k in your VAR library, it attemps to cache all of the morphs, eats up RAM, and overall slows down VAM. (Or something to that nature or effect). My point is... why not fix that? Spend the 3-6 months fixing 1.x instead of another year of waiting for an update to potentially a 3 year later release of VAM 2.x

Upvote 0
Alas... Xstory Player syndrome. Everything built for VAM 1.x doesn't work in VAM2... and we haven't heard anything for a year about it. VAM2.x may be completed at some time. VAM 1.x is here now. And using "general interest of people" assumes much, don't you think? Are you used to just squelching discussion?

Upvote 0
VaM 1 development is officially stopped. Needless discussion here. It works fine, its not perfect, we all know that. Priority is VaM 2, and I endorse that.

Upvote 0
Are you used to just squelching discussion?
I have seen for a long time official statements that 1.x is done and all efforts are on VAM2, as well as people complaining that even with a full dedication VAM2 development is going too slowly.
As @HolySchmidt says, it's a needless discussion, and ridiculous to be accused of squelching discussion as I have no power to do anything like that.

Upvote 0
Yikes -- the party officials strike. What's interesting, though, is that it's not 'done'. There have been several updates this year to 1.x instead of releases of VAM 2.x, so there is still a displayed interest in fixing issues. Don't be so closed-minded and obtuse to the reality of the situation. People like to participate in a forum without the nanny attacks that stifle discussion.

Upvote 0
I've seen a couple posts on deduplication and obsolete var finders.
Is there a definitive solution we have tested? A few things I would like to find:

1. Change all scene files to use my installed plugins and looks (not local deps)
2. Move all clothing, looks, morphs, mocap, etc. To the respective custom folders (not to the Addon folder)
3. Manage the BrowserAssist cache, because old deleted vars are still showing up in my game (due to the outdated cache links)

I would be more than happy to collab on some coding if someone wants to take this on (using some already published resources here).

Upvote 0
I've seen a couple posts on deduplication and obsolete var finders.
Is there a definitive solution we have tested? A few things I would like to find:

1. Change all scene files to use my installed plugins and looks (not local deps)
2. Move all clothing, looks, morphs, mocap, etc. To the respective custom folders (not to the Addon folder)
3. Manage the BrowserAssist cache, because old deleted vars are still showing up in my game (due to the outdated cache links)

I would be more than happy to collab on some coding if someone wants to take this on (using some already published resources here), I'm just unsure what moves will break things. I've had limited success moving things on my own.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom