Is pre-processing of the "addonpackages" folder possible to speed startup?

DJ

Staff member
Reactions
I just did some testing. A stock version of VaM (with no custom content added) loads in 16 seconds on my computer. If I copy over my 31GB addonPackages directory, load time increases to 41 seconds. People with slower systems are reporting it can take several minutes to start up.

I imagine that this delay is caused by Vam having to look through all the var files, extracting morphs, clothes, hairstyles, etc, and adding them to their various menus. Would it be possible to pre-process the addonpackages directory so this doesn't have to be done from scratch every time VaM starts? Maybe add it to the cache?

Last edited:
Not the answer your looking for, but I timed startup for desktop and VR you are right it dose make a difference.
empty addonPackages folder time is 10 sec
44GB addonPackages folder time 20 sec

get a m.2 hard drive and all your loading problems will be solved
I have one, and count myself lucky my load time is under a minute, while others wait 2 or 3 minutes. But in any case, a doubling or tripling of a users startup time would be a nice thing to avoid if it were possible. Look at the huge performance boost we got from texture caching!

Well, i have an m.2 too, but i also got 165 gb of vars. Let me assure you: Nothing is solved - i know things would be even worse with an ssd or even hdd. Still looking desperately for a solution. Thought, i found one with FasterVAM, but in my case, it is completely unreliable.

Best solution I've found is load only what you need. Unfortunately the nested dependencies make that a nightmare.

My app flattens vars, packing everything necessary into 1 var (per scene only for now). Check the video to see how it impacts load times.
Varypowerful

Back
Top Bottom