Question How to create cloths

Hi,
do you mean how to import clothes into VaM, or how to completely creating new ones? That is a big difference.

There are some tutorials here at the HUB, for instance one to create and import a bow as hair accessory, and one to make a T-Shirt.
The workflow will be more or less the same for more complicated clothes, too.

If you want a tutorial on how to 3D design stuff in general, this is a much too big thing to put in a single tutorial.
This would strongly depends on which 3D tool you planning to use... If it is free Blender, for instance, then you can search the Internet for hundreds of tutorials and Videos in dozends of languages. Though, you will beginn with "how to create a cube" not with "how to create a frilled victorian full dress".

If you are allready used to create 3D stuff, I would suggest to search for tutorials on how to make clothes for DAZ3d. The DAZ3d community is much older and bigger than the VaM community and therefore has tons of tutorials for especially clothes. If it takes your wonder why DAZ3d: You will need DAZ3d to prepare those clothing for VaM import anyways. Once you will have your clothes in DAZ3d and fitted to the older Genesis 2 figure, it is only a small step to have it in VaM, too.

This leads to a third point: you can buy some of thousands of ready-made DAZ3d clothes and import them to VaM. Please be aware, that VaM 1.x only supports the oldish DAZ3d Genesis 2 generation morphs, textures and clothes. You can convert many (not all!) of the clothes of other Genesis generations, but not without some work, tools and knowledge. Please don't be dissappointed, if you buy non-Genesis 2 stuff and it does not work. Make sure you understand the possible conversion process before buying.

I hope this helps a bit.

Upvote 0
For me it seem (after i watch few videos how to make them from scratch ) the way is to buy existing ones for DAZ and convert to VAM. Thank you @TToby for good guidance and could you point me to that small last step to how to bring bought items for Daz to VAM :D

Upvote 0
For me it seem (after i watch few videos how to make them from scratch ) the way is to buy existing ones for DAZ and convert to VAM. Thank you @TToby for good guidance and could you point me to that small last step to how to bring bought items for Daz to VAM :D

Hi, there are some very good tutorials around on how to import clothes. They are much better than I could write it with my poor English knowledge.

In theory it is somewhat simple...
Buy a clothing item, install it to DAZ, fit it to the standard Genesis 2 figure and save it as a subscene without the figure. - untill this point it is standard and basic DAZ... unfortunately you have to learn the DAZ basics-

After this it is the VaM import process, which is also somewhat simple (in theory you only load the DAZ save and press some buttons), but can go terrible wrong in multiple ways. Not every cloth item will turn out to be working in VaM:
You have to know, that there is no collision between different layern of cloth. Be it from combined cloth item or be it within a single cloth item, where the inlay will poke through the outer fabric.
There is also much distortion from using morphs, aso, up to a point where it destroys usability.
Some cloth items just have much too much vertices, meaning they have too much 3d modeled details on them. Using those clothes will steal you a lot of PC performance, especially if you will use them with physics.
To use physics on clothes, you have to paint a very simple image: press a button in VaM to create a texture image, then paint all parts to be stiff in pure red and all parts that should move free in black, with all shades of darker red inbetween.

You see, it is not that difficult in detail, but all together there is no guarantee to get a working VaM cloth at the end.
I would suggest to first start with some free DAZ clothes first, to get a feeling for what is possible and what is not.

Upvote 0
1) " Hi, there are some very good tutorials around on how to import clothes. "

Can you appoint me to some ready tutorial ? i do not know what to look for ? should i look for "DAZ import clothes ?

2)" After this it is the VaM import process, which is also somewhat simple (in theory you only load the DAZ save and press some buttons), "
Could you please write more ? or maybe therea are also some guides for that ? There is cool video for creating CUA where last step is simple as to use some additional tool to create assetbundle. But how does it work with DAZ ? do you create VAM ready clothes directlry from DAZ or some files which i have to load to unity and then to VAM as CUA ?

3)Is it possible to buy clothes for Genesis 8/ G8.1/ G3 (if so : Many times as they write about clothes for G8 they wriate about dForce , will such clothes work ?) ? and import them to VAM (or convert to G2 before and then to VAM ? or only look for clothes directly for G2 ?

4) I have bought some model which contains fbx/obj and albedo/normal/metalic/roughness textures with humanoid creature e.g. werewolf. Is it possible to convert that model to VAM look( person ) with that ?

5) or is it possible to convert such model to full body cloth and use it as cloth on male model in VAM ?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1) 2) For the basic understanding, VaM is using the DAZ Genesis 2 model. So, if you want to prepare clothes, morphs or skins that are not ready-to-use for VaM, you first have to make them fit for DAZ Genesis 2 in DAZ. After this, you have to import them to VaM. (no, no Unity needed for that stuff).
So, for the transformation process in DAZ (difficult), you have to google for "how to xyz in DAZ", and once they work with Genesis 2, you have to google for "how to import xyz to Virt a Mate".

To say it clear, you can use most morphs and skins that are designed for Genesis 2 right out of the box. Only Genesis 2 clothes have to be prepared in DAZ by fitting them to the base Genesis 2 figure and then save them as subscene.
Everything else from DAZ that is made for other figurs than DAZ Genesis 2 are officially not supported and you will need to tinker around a lot to probably make them fit. There are some tutorials even here at the hub how to fit Genesis 3/8 clothes to Genesis 2. https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/g8-cloth-to-g2.6739/
AFAIR there are some more detailed tutorials around (sorry, I am at work and can't search for all of them).

You will find tutorials on the hub at Ressources/free/guides/, on Reddit at the VaM Reddit, or on the VaM Discord channel. Or, to make it fast, you google for "import clothes to virt a mate tutorial" and you will get some hits.

3) Like I wrote above: only Genesis 2 clothes will work somehow flawlessly. But in DAZ for DAZ there are some ways to fit other Generation's clothes to Genesis 2. For the thousands of Genesis 3 clothes, this is somehow simple by buying or downloading so called AutoFit clones. Look at the tutorial I have linked above to have a first glance on that, or google for DAZ tutorials on this. Genesis 8 with its new clothing system is an other pair of shoes. There are many clothes that may work, but dynamical clothes won't. To be honest, I never have tried them, because There was always enough Genesis 2/3 stuff to buy.

4) You can only use the build-in Genesis 2 figure in VaM. You can't replace it. All you can do (and that is allready a lot!) is to morph this figure to other shapes.
There is a very advanced way to morph an exported Genesis 2 figure to the somewhat similar shape of other figures by using 3d tools like Blender or ZBrush. After this half outomatic process, and after cleaning out the results, you can re-import that altered Genesis 2 figure back to DAZ and turn it into a morph for use in VaM. This is a very advanced way and not easy. There is a lot that can go wrong, especially with eyes, tongue and mouth, and you will need lots of experience.
Long story short, you can't use that non-DAZ figure in VaM, or only with a great ammount of work.

5) I never tried that. In theory it is possible, if you can exactly fit this to a Genesis 2 figure, like you would do it with clothes. Most likely you have to use 3D modeling tools to reshape it. After this you will import it, turn the object into a "figure", autofit it and save it for VaM import. But that is not a trivial task and a lot of things can go wrong. There are some werewolf morphes around for DAZ, but I don't know if there are some older ones for Genesis 2, too.

Sorry for not giving you better news. Nevertheless, I hope you will find it a bit helpful. You can see, this is a very large field of knowledge, that you can't squeeze into some few lines. For this lines I even wrote for more than 40 minutes. This will need a lot of googeling and learning. At least you have to learn the basics of DAZ, maybe even of some 3d tools.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
TToby thank you very much for such an detailed answer :D i will look further into that with knowledge youve proviided :)

maybe just one question so im sure if i understand it right:
If i bought some cloth for DAZ G2 , import it to DAZ. I do not have to convert it in any other tool to be able to use it in VAM right ? just save it as subscene (whichi i presume is one of the Save options ? ) ? which givese me file i need to copy to ..Custom\Clothing\Female\ in order to work in VAM.

Which files should be there ? i look through creator vars and there are :
.vam
.vap
.vaj
.vab
and some textures files like jpg or png.

Upvote 0
TToby thank you very much for such an detailed answer :D i will look further into that with knowledge youve proviided :)

maybe just one question so im sure if i understand it right:
If i bought some cloth for DAZ G2 , import it to DAZ. I do not have to convert it in any other tool to be able to use it in VAM right ? just save it as subscene (whichi i presume is one of the Save options ? ) ? which givese me file i need to copy to ..Custom\Clothing\Female\ in order to work in VAM.

Which files should be there ? i look through creator vars and there are :
.vam
.vap
.vaj
.vab
and some textures files like jpg or png.
Yes, you only need to save it in DAZ with one of the save options as scene or subscene.
You don't need to copy it to VaM.
Make sure to set the correct DAZ folder path in the VaM settings, so VaM can find all DAZ data.
If you open up the clothes creator (first entry in the clothes tab) and click on import, you can navigate to the DAZ subscene folder from within VaM an select the saved subscene.
After the successfull import process, VaM will auto-create those .vab, .vaj, .vam files for you and even copy the texture files.
There is even a function to auto-convert bumpmaps from DAZ to normal maps, but that is sometimes a bit buggy. So maybe you have to put some manual work in this. But leave that for an other question, if you have any issues.
Have fun!

Upvote 0
Oh, ive never spotted that button in VAM :) so that how its done :) BIG Thanks .

PS: Thanks also for your small morhps ;)

Upvote 0
Hi everyone
As I understood (not sure if I'm right yet), you need to create/buy cloths in DAZ and fit them to a G2 figure with the desired morphs then they can be imported to VAM,

However what if I create them in other software such as blender and then use daz to fit them on a figure then finally import them to VAM?

Another question here can't we bypass the DAZ step completely?

Btw I never used DAZ so I apologize if my question sound noobish

Thank you

Upvote 0
I'm new too. So, I could be wrong but I'm happy to guide you through. Here is the basic idea. To import a cloth item in vam you need .duf file. which is basically a daz saved scene file. So, no matter what you do, you need DAZ as a middleman. And yes you can use blender or any other software to create clothes. I believe there is a way to bypass Daz(I'm not sure). But, I like daz for final customization before I import them into VAM.

Upvote 0
I'm new too. So, I could be wrong but I'm happy to guide you through. Here is the basic idea. To import a cloth item in vam you need .duf file. which is basically a daz saved scene file. So, no matter what you do, you need DAZ as a middleman. And yes you can use blender or any other software to create clothes. I believe there is a way to bypass Daz(I'm not sure). But, I like daz for final customization before I import them into VAM.
Thank you very much, In that case you need base G2 figure only and we can create cloths in blender instead.

Will sim be enabled in that case for those cloths?

Upvote 0
I am also trying to import some clothes into VaM. Followed the steps above and when importing the .duf file created by DAZ I get an error saying that the "basic/default.dsf" file is missing. From what I've read, .dsf files should be included in the .duf file but apparently this is not happening. I've tried this with both paid clothing from DAZ and free files from the web, all for G2 figures. Very frustrating. Sometimes I think the VaM gods are against me because what can appear to be fairly simple tasks that others do without a problem seem to be out of my reach. Oh well, if anyone here has a suggestion, please post.

Upvote 0
I am also trying to import some clothes into VaM. Followed the steps above and when importing the .duf file created by DAZ I get an error saying that the "basic/default.dsf" file is missing. From what I've read, .dsf files should be included in the .duf file but apparently this is not happening. I've tried this with both paid clothing from DAZ and free files from the web, all for G2 figures. Very frustrating. Sometimes I think the VaM gods are against me because what can appear to be fairly simple tasks that others do without a problem seem to be out of my reach. Oh well, if anyone here has a suggestion, please post.
I can feel your pain. I was frustrated at the beginning too. I can't tell what went wrong for you without seeing how you port the clothes. If you have discord I can guide you through process.

Upvote 0
I'm not on Discord. Maybe that's something I'll need to do in 2023. But to answer your question, I followed the instructions listed above: clicked on the Custom Clothes option, imported a .duf file and got an error message saying the .dsf file is missing. Tried .duf files obtained directly from DAZ for Gen 2 and also free .duf files I found online, also for Gen 2.

Upvote 0
the question is how did you save the .duf file from daz ? As a scene ?

For the clothes that either came with Daz or that I purchased from the Daz store, I followed TToby's advice above and saved them as a sub-scene. I also tried saving them as a scene. For the Daz G2 clothes I found online these were already .duf files. I got the missing .dsf error in VaM with all of them.

Upvote 0
try this Save As>support Asset> Figure/Prop Assets

Eureka! That worked! Thank you Jinx! I'm surprised no one else has asked about this or had the same problem so hopefully your tip will help others.

By following your instructions a pop-up appeared that asked me where I want to save the complete package, which I assume meant I had to tell it where to include the .dsf file within the .duf file. Previoulsy I was just trying to export the .duf file and the pop-up about the .dsf never came up. I was also trying to save the .duf on another hard drive, this time I saved it within the Daz/MyLibrary folder.

I should say that this worked with clothing that came with Daz or items I purchased from the Daz store, it still does not work with free .duf files I downloaded from Wilmap. I may email him directly to see if he has a solution.

Also, one of the files had over 50,000 vertices so I got a warning message in VaM suggesting I decrease the size, but I have no idea how to do that. It also came out looking like plastic or vinyl, but I adjusted the material setttings and got it looking a little more like cloth.

Upvote 0
You can send me those files you couldn't import.(If it's free or shareable) If try to import those, I may come up with a solution.
And vam doesn't like too much vertices. There are two ways you can fix this.
1. Blender(Free)
2. Daz Plugin-Decimator (I've paid 100$)
If you feel like your cloth texture look like plastic, 80% time it's because of normal/Bump map(Pinkish Bump map instead of Blue)
Vertices mostly effects on Simulation.
So, there are 3 ways you can fix your cloth texture.
1. Slide your Spec amount to 0 or, remove Normal map. (Low Quality)
2. Use This website to improve your Bump map. (Med Quality)
3. Learn How to make bump map from Diffuse or Spec Map in photoshop. (Best Quality)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom