How I fixed fatal crashes on every scene load with VD and Quest 2

Reactions
So recently I started having an issue where any scene load would crash the game unless I did a hard reset and even then only for a little bit. The error dumps were not helpful (kept flagging unityplayer.dll and mono,neither of which were the source of the issue) and searching on here and Google didn't give me a clear answer since I don't have Citrix installed. Turns out even after verifying steamvr files and repairing my oculus install, something was messed up with the openvr driver and unity. Found out that there was a way to launch VAM in oculus mode on VD and that immediately fixed the issues while also doubling or even tripling performance. The only downside is losing my steamvr bindings.

Interestingly enough I was able to play VAM with ALVR/XR last night without any crashes so I'm not sure if it's something with VD and steamvr or if I fixed the underlying issue. The performance hit from going back to steamvr is rough though and when trying on Oculus driver again today it seemed like my performance was still pretty bad even without steamvr running. Possibly made a mess of drivers again or could've been another factor. I'm very tempted to throw away all my current responsibilities and invest all my time into trying to make my own build of ALVR that supports oculus driver.

Anyway I made this post since there was nothing online that helped address my problem and I was losing my mind. If anyone else has the issue with crashes hopefully this helps. To make the .bat for VD just put the following in a text file and save as .bat

"path to vd streamer.exe" "path to vam.exe"

Shouldn't need any additional arguments. Launch the bat from desktop view on your quest in VD. Launching from PC does not seem to work for whatever reason. Make sure oculus service is running and close steamvr entirely. It will seem like nothing is happening at first since you just get a black screen during loading but just be patient

Some notes:

Didn't try a fresh install with no vars but fresh install with my vars but no cache or saves still had the issue. Repairing through vam updater did not help at all.

After fixing the core issue I did still have some crashes on specific scenes due to missing dependencies not downloading in-game through the hub and possibly due to me using the deduplicator scripts on my morphs and assets. I used var toolbox and ran the var fixers and updated missing stuff through there. Now I have no issues besides a couple missing non-hub dependencies and general performance

Back
Top Bottom