Question Driving me nuts... Dependencies duplicated in missing package Hub search? Identical versions (testing new scene var)

FluffyBunny

Reactions
Hi,

I've created a scene and I'm making certain the dependencies are tidy. And hit this problem:

These are dependencies for one scene, clean test install.

Many are duplicated in the Hub search - but the versions are identical. And VaM will download them twice if Download All is selected. This is okayish for a 2MB file, less good for VirtaArtieMitchel's 248MB but very excellent Aloha shirt.

In referencing options, I tried selecting "Exact" version instead of "Latest". That helped (2nd image) but doesn't solve.

Anyone know what's up?

Thanks

Attachments

• Dependency problem_1.jpg
    Dependency problem_1.jpg
    344 KB · Views: 0
  • Dependency problem_2.jpg
    Dependency problem_2.jpg
    347.5 KB · Views: 0
Replying to my own question: I'll just edit the meta file. I haven't encountered the problem before and don't understand why the dependencies are being duplicated

Upvote 0
That is unusual. Do you still need help debugging?
Yes please!
The error is consistent but differs according to "latest" or "exact" choice at packaging. The installation was fresh on Thursday using just the updater in an empty Folder. I've also looked on an earlier install, and the same thing happens.

Editing the meta.json to remove references to "latest" is a workaround. I've just not encountered (or noticed...) the problem before.

Upvote 0
These are from the package where the referencing option is "latest". At first I thought it was maybe a consequence of using geometry to be a bit more efficient for costume changes (I just use alpha and disable sim for simple items). But when I package using "exact", duplicate references are made for some items that are fixed. E.g Paledriver's eyes package, and that's just vanilla with no custom preset.

I have 4 installations, all latest version: Mess, build, test, play.

Thanks for your time :)

Attachments

• meta.json
    41.4 KB · Views: 0
  • CabaretNoir.Episode#2_wip169_copy.1.var.depend.txt
    8.8 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
From the meta.json I see some resources with multiple being called twice, but you problem may be worse.
You're actually including clothing extracted from VARs, and this is not something you should do. Those clothes should be referenced as dependencies, not repackaged. Worse is that you marked your resource as PC, and at least some resources including the repackaged clothing, have a NC (non-commercial) license. Unless you're just doing for personal use, and in that case it's fine.

Take a look at this guide, it may solve your packaging problems:

Upvote 0
From the meta.json I see some resources with multiple being called twice, but you problem may be worse.
You're actually including clothing extracted from VARs, and this is not something you should do. Those clothes should be referenced as dependencies, not repackaged. Worse is that you marked your resource as PC, and at least some resources including the repackaged clothing, have a NC (non-commercial) license. Unless you're just doing for personal use, and in that case it's fine.

Take a look at this guide, it may solve your packaging problems:
Hi, thanks for getting back to me! And thanks for letting me know your concerns but I want to assure you that AWWalker, Everlaster and Riddler were contacted and, fully understanding it was for commercial use, kindly gave permission in writing to use plugins and in Riddler's case, a less obvious contributing morph.

Although I'm basically a nobody wrt Hub, this is a collaborative project with an established creator who has made custom mocaps and artwork specifically for this and other scenes currently in development, our aim is to not add free or paid crap content.

Although it will be PC as an extended version of (I hope) quality free content, it's still in development and wrt clothing, only FC/CC BY will be included or referenced - I know that ideally no clothing should be repackaged but WeebU's Xmas ribbons (FC) is a huge file but the re-coloured base structure isn't, the display id makes it clear it's not the original while full credit will be clearly stated along with a recommendation to get the original because it's great! The little bows are really nicely done. That said, I'm considering an alternative.

For very small items using 4k .png textures e.g. cum assets, I'm referencing originals but using presets calling smaller re-sized versions. My impression is that it burdens machines less but I'm happy to be corrected. Re. unpacked cum assets - just still in place from earlier photo session.

It's a large scene, which includes many textures, images, video and CUAs that are completely original.

I'm not trying to claim anything as my own when it's not!

Last week I just wasn't feeling very creative or up for more mocap cleaning so I thought I'd tidy dependencies.

I'm sure you're busy, sorry for the long reply.

I've attached sample screenshots from work in development, which hopefully indicate some effort on our part.

So... again, thanks for your time! Can I ask what you recommend I do about the duplicates?

Attachments

• Screenshot (598).png
    Screenshot (598).png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (447).jpg
    Screenshot (447).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (323).jpg
    Screenshot (323).jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • poster.jpg
    poster.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Oh, I'm sorry if that sounded a bit sniffy, it wasn't meant to be! I've been working on this for about 4 months, had so many setbacks, including storm damage, house-move, dead monitor and dead gpu. Last thing I want to do is piss anyone off, especially when I'm asking for help! :)

Upvote 0
If you have permission you're good. Usually people have no idea about licenses and they're taken hard with the surprise.

Looks like a very interesting and high quality scene from the screenshots and poster.
It's great too that you're concerned on how it performs on people's computers. Some assets can be a bit too much and be better optimized; 4K cum probably looks the same as 2K cum and with a much lower impact.
Wondering if repacks are needed though? An option could be to pack the resized textures of your here and there dependencies into a separate VAR, like FluffyBunny.Cabaret-Noir-extras.1.var (for a single scene) or FluffyBunny.All-my-scenes-extras.1.var (future scenes included). Something to see if it makes sense for your current and future scene creations.

Upvote 0
If you have permission you're good. Usually people have no idea about licenses and they're taken hard with the surprise.

Looks like a very interesting and high quality scene from the screenshots and poster.
It's great too that you're concerned on how it performs on people's computers. Some assets can be a bit too much and be better optimized; 4K cum probably looks the same as 2K cum and with a much lower impact.
Wondering if repacks are needed though? An option could be to pack the resized textures of your here and there dependencies into a separate VAR, like FluffyBunny.Cabaret-Noir-extras.1.var (for a single scene) or FluffyBunny.All-my-scenes-extras.1.var (future scenes included). Something to see if it makes sense for your current and future scene creations.
That does make sense, thank you. There's a steep-learning curve and my focus has been scene production and basic Unity skills, not publishing.

I've tried to optimize everything and include performance settings and override options e.g. in-scene disabling of a mirror switches to a surface that's textured not just grey.

Tbh, the best feature is simply a massive invisible button - to call UI in VR, just point up and click, the 2nd best is that on a reasonable machine, there's no need to call UI despite being multi-scene e.g. click on paused TV to play pictured scene. But it's all impossible without the work of the others.

Thank you for your kind comments and who knows? I might even finish the bloody thing soon.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom