Question NOT ON HUB dependencies

CrismonPulse

Reactions
Hello everyone,

I'm new in the VaM world, so there are a lot of things I still need to learn.

When I scan for missing packages, I have like 30+ dependencies which are not on the hub. Is there a way to find out which var package is requesting all of those files? I'd like to get rid of all of these errors.

I've got some packages from Patreon, but I've been really careful about the descriptions and their dependencies. I think it is caused by a package found in-app, but I can't find out which one of them.

Thanks.

Hello everyone,

When I scan for missing packages, I have like 30+ dependencies which are not on the hub. Is there a way to find out which var package is requesting all of those files? I'd like to get rid of all of these errors.

I've got some packages from Patreon, but I've been really careful about the descriptions and their dependencies. I think it is caused by a package found in-app, but I can't find out which one of them.

Thanks.

Maybe. Not sure myself. But I believe a (time intensive) approach would be to go through the... package manager (? i think its called). Gotta go through each scene but it can tell u whats missing. The UI in this game is atrocious. Embarassing that 3rd parties have to make it tolerable.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately, there's no 'reverse lookup' feature where you can ask what package uses this thing. The in-game Package Manager lets you scroll through the list of packages you have. Any package that has some issue(s) will show up in red. If you click on it, you can go to the right side of that screen to scroll through its dependencies to find out which one is the problem. The problem is, you may already know about that one, or that package isn't the one with the specific missing item, so you have to keep looking.

Here's the good part: When you find a package with a missing dependency you can't download, the Package Manager has a User Preference tab where you can check a box so that you won't see that warning again, normally. Of course, if you actually load that scene, you will still see a warning about the missing item. I think if you save a local copy of the scene with that item deleted, then just load that instead, the error goes away.

Upvote 0
Hello everyone,

Thanks.
SlimerJSpud already answered about the reverse lookup, so I'll just add some pointers to minimise this problem.

For free resources in the Hub, one thing you'll be seeing is VARs with a "Hub-hosted VAR" tag. Those are great as you can get all the dependencies listed. Keep in mind that those dependencies may themselves have dependencies, and some may not be Hub-hosted. A word of advice is to not download a resource that shows a excessive amount of dependencies, as you can expect, the more dependencies something has the more likely those dependencies will call for more dependencies and so on. I shit you not, I've seen scenes with more than 500 direct dependencies 😱
The reason for excessive dependencies on some resources usually comes from poor packaging practices, but that's a topic for another time. Try to avoid these.

Free resources that have non-Hub dependencies are not necessarily a bad sign. Sometimes the creator knows this and explains the reason, writing where you can get the non-Hub dependency in the resource description page. Paid resources may have paid dependencies, usually from the same creator.
What you want to avoid is free resources that have paid dependencies - not really free right? - and paid resources that have paid dependencies from another creator - wtf?.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom