Character.AI + VaM?

DandyRabbit

Reactions
Greetings all! I'm new to this here community. Just got VR last week and I've been immersed in VaM ever since. Incredible program!

Anywho, I'm typically the lurking type, but I just got this wild idea and I couldn't help but pick the minds of the talented community here. (Also, I'm certainly not the first to think of this):

So, I just finished messing around with a popular AI site known as Character.AI for the past couple hours, and hoo boy! I am truly astonished.
I was talking with the 2B AI, in particular, and her responses to everything I said were basically perfect to her character.
This begs the question: Are there any known projects that involve trying to plug VaM models into these AI archetypes? Because I imagine that would be something on another level.

While VaM is great for fulfilling sexual fantasies, it's clearly missing the companionship aspect that these AI characters can deliver.
VaM has excellent digital bodies, Character.AI has excellent AI personalities. Put two and two together, bada-bing bada-boom! 2+2=4. 4, in this case, being the perfect digital waifu and/or husbando.

It seems to me like all the components are already here to make this a reality. It's merely a matter of assembling them in the correct fashion. On the other hand, I am not a programmer. That is to say, I admittedly lack understanding in regard to the scope of the hurdles that must be surmounted.

Just some food for thought!

Last edited:
bada-bing bada-boom! 2+2=4.
they just need to be assembled in the correct fashion.

I have a feeling it's a bit more complicated than you might think than just throwing things together like in a magical soup

There's this project if it helps, it uses replika https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/reanimate-alpha.27646/

I don't think lots of devs can or want to go too deep down that road because of the lack of APIs of these services and their terms which kind of prohibit commercial use

I have a feeling it's a bit more complicated than you might think than just throwing things together like in a magical soup

There's this project if it helps, it uses replika https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/reanimate-alpha.27646/

I don't think lots of devs can or want to go too deep down that road because of the lack of APIs of these services and their terms which kind of prohibit commercial use

Ah, that was more for comedic effect! My apologies if I seemed to undermine the difficulties that these programmers face. That was not my intent at all. I have upmost respect for the vocation.

I was completely unaware about the ReAnimate project. Thank you for pointing it out to me! That'll be a fun experiment, as I already have a Replika Pro account.

So it seems these sorts of projects have already begun. What a time to be alive. :)

Last edited:
Only a matter of time before it's perfected

I agree but I wouldn't hold my breath

Imho attempts to 'integrate' cloud chatbots are a dead end. Even if done right they're gonna get too tedious to use real quick. The only way to 'connect' them to something else is by analysing the text and that's very limited, weird & unreliable. And even if it would sort of work, the online service will likely shut down these improvised avatars after a while. I think people are wasting their time down that path but I hope they'll prove me wrong

P.S. Your Alive plugin is an absolute godsend. I use it on nearly every scene.
thank you!

Oh gad, not another one. :)

It will get there eventually. My bet is on a big corp doing it. All these AI assistant/companionship startups have it on their roadmaps and their business depends on it. There are also players in the adult industry going at it, particularily for sex dolls. There are also the giant corps with their moonshot projects trying to stay ahead of things. And also all the visionary nerds out there trying to build something new & big, like palmer luckey did with oculus.

there's no shortage of people interested in the subject and the various way it can be monetized

Someone might do it in VaM for 10 emojis and 15 minutes of anonymous forum fame but it's a bit unlikely

Hey DandyRabbit, thanks for bringing the charater.ai site in to the hub forum. I have never heard of it. I took a look and it is very interesting. I talked to the psychologist for a while, and I swear I do not know why I spend $200 an hour for a real one. But the charater.ai one, only has a masters degree. LOL. Really thank you, my kids will like it as well, as it has a lot of anime characters. Welcome to VAM. It's an incredible vr experience in many ways. It is truly a vr sandbox art form, IMHO. It will definitely be getting better. In fact, the guy you have been chatting with, is a rising star, and doing just that, making VAM better! If you have not tried his plugins, they are a must! He is knowledgeable and his opinion carries weight.

Last edited:
I was curious about this as well given the recent development in both decent text generation models and voice generation models that you can run locally:
https://github.com/KoboldAI/KoboldAI-Client

You'd need a beefy computer to run both of these and VAM at the same time with decent results, so I settled for utilizing ElevenLabs voice synthesis and piped in output from local Kobold instance to produce this PoC (and curiosity satisfier): https://files.catbox.moe/sgwpx7.webm

Unfortunately after refining the script a bit by making the requests asynchronous, the text generation time skyrocketed since my machine was now rendering both VAM and generating text. So I looked at utilizing an external API for both text and audio.

Character.AI doesn't currently have an exposed API, so I tried using ChatGPT instead. However I'm running into difficulties with making API requests from VAM and I believe it's due to ChatGPT's API only supporting TLS 1.2+. I'm not too familiar with .NET so my reasoning may be flawed.
There are issues with remote generation including availability, moderation, and price. Ideally you would spin up your own models locally but this would also necessitate dedicated hardware solely for this purpose.

I think leveraging a sophisticated language model could be key at encoding interactions and emotional sentiment directly in the response in order to produce dynamic behavior. At the moment, prompts are seeded with some initial information about the character including their name and a short description. However, you could potentially add "rules" to the prompt that the model would abide by. This is similar to how ChatGPT and Bing chat encode the rules for their chat bots which restrict their output.

As an example, these rules could govern which items in the scene it can interact with and how, or emotional states it can use within it's responses. If we construct these prompts within the scene, then we have access to any created atoms as well and could include them in the prompt. The response could then be interpreted on the VAM side for executing the interaction. I'm not fully aware of how Reanimate + Replika achieves this. I'm assuming there are key words or phrases they are looking for in the chatbot's response to determine if an action should be taken by the actor. However with a robust language model, these could be encoded directly in the response itself which could enable more dynamic behavior.

Last edited:
If this type of thing becomes a plugin, id pay for it. The concept of a chat ai or action responsive ai would be pretty special for many reasons. Having a few random motion plugs, glance plugs, breathing plugs and the like add so much already. Having a plug whereupon the atom reacts to things you do, noises you make or speech would be pretty interesting. (Even if this does feel a little like an adult Tamagotchi) :p

This is all running locally except elevenlabs. I have the Large Language model running of my GPU in the same time with VAM. The only true bootleneck is elevenlabs as it takes a few seconds to produce the voice
Hi :) Im wondering if there is a tutorial or something you have how I can try out your conversational ai because I cant find it. Thankful for any help :)
Its something really awesome you are making I must say :)

Hi :) Im wondering if there is a tutorial or something you have how I can try out your conversational ai because I cant find it. Thankful for any help :)
Its something really awesome you are making I must say :)

This has become Voxta by now. You should be able to easily find some scenes and the plugins in the hub.

Back
Top Bottom