Applying makeup like in real life possible?

weberthomas

Reactions
Is there a way to apply makeup to a character like you would in real life by taking lipstick or a makeup brush and drawing on the characters face to where it will stay? Theres some drawing and painting virtual reality games out there so i'm hoping this could be possible.

Nope. All textures are made in other apps and imported. That would have been cool tho. Maybe vam2.

Ok so nothing official. A workaround i was thinking of is if you made a stick of lipstick in a modeling program and put it into the game as an atom/custom unity asset, then attach a fluids plugin that shot out when you pressed the trigger button while holding the lipstick with grab button and when you place the lipstick by the lips it hits it and sticks to it. Searching for a "squirt gun" like setup on the forums, i read through "customizing steamvr controller bindings" but I'm a little confused on the setup for this. Hoping you could guide me through this. thanks.

Using plugins, you can trigger clothing items to appear when you want them to by changing the Alpha channel value. 0 is on and -1 is off. You can even make that transition gradual, so if you trigger the lip color clothing when the lipstick gets near, and make the Alpha channel fade in gradually, it will look like the model is applying lipstick, at least from a distance. You'll always have a problem using tricks like this in closeups. Blush would be more of a problem, because both sides will appear at the same time.

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

Best way atm. You can add triggers to the face where you can click to apply the makeup which would have to be a clothing item.
Another approach is making use of the Decal maker and some make-up textures. It's a bit more work and if you want to have that gradual transition taking place as you'll need tens upon tens of layers to make it happen.

Ok so nothing official.

Yup because it's kind of hard to do that. Especially with VAM 1. You'd need a render to texture and an interaction between your make up delivery system and the face of the character. You see the "snow footprints" in modern game right? Where the snow gets crushed an keep the footprints... that would be somewhat the same technic.

This is gonna be possible with VAM 2. But it's still potentially expensive for a detail like that...that said, will be totally doable if you know your way around shaders : )

Back
Top Bottom