Anyone tried the 2.x Alpha?

Voithe

Reactions
What are your first impressions?

Does it works in VR?
In the announce the devs said that it is limited in "AR (VR)". It is not clear if they mean "AR (which is a kind of VR)" or "AR (and also VR)".

Wouldn't work in VR for me. Just got desktop only mode.
The posing system looks amazing, the pinning and everything seems really good with the grab points you can turn on and off etc.
Clearly there is a long way to go, but honestly it looks pretty good so far.

Of course many of us have tried the Alpha, but what to say... It is an Alpha.
Except of posing the figure a bit, you can't do nothing of the things that makes VaM so exciting.
I guess I spend 10 minutes with the Alpha, then got seriusly bored.
It is a bit scary how much this reminds me of the very very early VaM versions...!
It's a bit depressing for me to think of the long way we have gone from there to current VaM,
and that we are all the way back now to the start with VaM2.0. :(

The technology it shows is really great, no question! For instance, I bended the figure's arms up and down like a moron to see the shoulders finally just working (JCM), and was happy like a child.
Though, all of this couldn't fully make my bad feelings go away.
Sorry for this, but to be true, I personally had expected this kind of Alpha much earlier... maybe in May/June like it was vaguely announced back then ("coming soon"). Absolutely no offense! VaM2.0 will be undoubtedly much better than we have ever expected!
Now we have this gorgeous appetizer, it will be even worse to wait for more and to go back to our old VaM 1.x,
I really wonder how far we will be at the end of 2022! Unfortunately I am a really impatient person :(

Yes, it works for me in VR (SteamVR). You have to start at the desktop and then click on the XR (fancy new name for VR/AR) button on the lower right. It will then automatically start up SteamVR and my Headset (Valve Index), and I am in. It looks great, but you can even do less than in the desktop version...
If you are using SteamVR, too, you could try out having it allready started or not (I hadn't).
I have no clue on how it is with the Quest, but it definitely was also displaying some Oculus driver announcements on loading.

Regarding Oculus RIFT S or Quest2 Oculus/Meta Headsets you just press the XR Button and it opens in VR .

Except of posing the figure a bit, you can't do nothing of the things that makes VaM so exciting.
It is a bit scary how much this reminds me of the very very early VaM versions...!
It's a bit depressing for me to think of the long way we have gone from there to current VaM,

The technology it shows is really great, no question! For instance, I bended the figure's arms up and down like a moron to see the shoulders finally just working (JCM), and was happy like a child.
Sorry for this, but to be true, I personally had expected this kind of Alpha much earlier... maybe in May/June like it was vaguely announced back then ("coming soon"). Absolutely no offense! VaM2.0 will be undoubtedly much better than we have ever expected!
Now we have this gorgeous appetizer, it will be even worse to wait for more and to go back to our old VaM 1.x,
I really wonder how far we will be at the end of 2022! Unfortunately I am a really impatient person :(

Yes, it works for me in VR (SteamVR). You have to start at the desktop and then click on the XR (fancy new name for VR/AR) button on the lower right. It will then automatically start up SteamVR and my Headset (Valve Index), and I am in. It looks great, but you can even do less than in the desktop version...
If you are using SteamVR, too, you could try out having it allready started or not (I hadn't).
I have no clue on how it is with the Quest, but it definitely was also displaying some Oculus driver announcements on loading.
On one hand the technology is very impressive, on the other hand there are so many features missing that I worry if the creator community will lose interest if it takes 3-5 years for 2.X to complete.

I think the best thing to do is to release 2.X in modules. The first release should target content creators so that at least the creators can start creating looks for 2.X while the development continues on other systems (animation, muscle poses, physics, etc.). This way the community will stay alive.

I think the best thing to do is to release 2.X in modules.
If you take a look at the history of the VaM Patreon, you'll see that's exactly the way 1.x was released. 2.x will work the same way.

On one hand the technology is very impressive, on the other hand there are so many features missing that I worry if the creator community will lose interest if it takes 3-5 years for 2.X to complete.

I think the best thing to do is to release 2.X in modules. The first release should target content creators so that at least the creators can start creating looks for 2.X while the development continues on other systems (animation, muscle poses, physics, etc.). This way the community will stay alive.

Being an impatient guy, I support this. First priority now should be to get a somewhat stable and working base. Then, right after this, the modding features should be prioritized to give us something to tinker with, and to quickly get community created content.
After that there will be much time for the VaM team for polishing around and inventing new exciting features.

This was roughly the way VaM 1.x was done, like DJ said.
1. Custom morph support. 2. Custom texture support. 3. CUA. 4. Plugin support. 5. Clothes import, aso....
BUT (!) this also has leaded to many of the nasty issues we finaly had with VaM 1.x : All those features were piled up on a base, that wasn't originally constructed for this. And think of all those redundant options and ways to do things. On the other hand, there is all the experience now that was allready made with 1.x ...

This argumentation leads to two different approaches:
- Should the VaM team rush things out to keep the community happy like in VaM 1.x.
- Or should they take their time to prepare a stable base for all eventualities that may happen and all possible things that may come, and then carefully build on this stone for stone...

It sounds obvious on first reading, but the first point was successfull in 1.x and would keep the community alive, whereas the second point (from my experience) could easily lead to time-eating perfectionism and endless polishing and planning.
IMHO a mix of both approaches is the most healthiest way to go: You can't plan for everything, take the risk of rushing things and feed the sharks (us)!
Though, I am very glad that I don't have to make all those decisions. ;)

Being an impatient guy, I support this. First priority now should be to get a somewhat stable and working base. Then, right after this, the modding features should be prioritized to give us something to tinker with, and to quickly get community created content.
After that there will be much time for the VaM team for polishing around and inventing new exciting features.

This was roughly the way VaM 1.x was done, like DJ said.
1. Custom morph support. 2. Custom texture support. 3. CUA. 4. Plugin support. 5. Clothes import, aso....
BUT (!) this also has leaded to many of the nasty issues we finaly had with VaM 1.x : All those features were piled up on a base, that wasn't originally constructed for this. And think of all those redundant options and ways to do things. On the other hand, there is all the experience now that was allready made with 1.x ...

This argumentation leads to two different approaches:
- Should the VaM team rush things out to keep the community happy like in VaM 1.x.
- Or should they take their time to prepare a stable base for all eventualities that may happen and all possible things that may come, and then carefully build on this stone for stone...

It sounds obvious on first reading, but the first point was successfull in 1.x and would keep the community alive, whereas the second point (from my experience) could easily lead to time-eating perfectionism and endless polishing and planning.
IMHO a mix of both approaches is the most healthiest way to go: You can't plan for everything, take the risk of rushing things and feed the sharks (us)!
Though, I am very glad that I don't have to make all those decisions. ;)

I agree with you ... personally I just hope to see the Alpha version grow at more or less regular intervals.

I've seen too many developers wallowing in nothing forever supported by Patreon. This Alpha is a good sign ... but I've also seen Alpha versions lasting forever under the pretext of seeking perfection which, in reality, is never attainable.

I hope the developers of VAM are different and, at the moment, I have no reason to think they are not. But ... only time will tell us how things stand.

I'm hoping good! ;)

Oh very cool, I haven't tried it yet as I was away from Vam for some time. I'm glad there even is an alpha already. I made my peace that it will take much longer to be where we want it to be. I will check it out once it gets a little more fleshed out so I won't get depressed like TToby ; D

😅:LOL:do you remember when the VaM 1.X alpha was released? Maybe this will give us an estimate on the progress of VaM 2.X...

I personally would prefer to not rush anything as we may all know the result could be something like Cyberpunk(-bug). I tried it out and the lighting is amazing, really liked it, much more detailed and realistic. Also the performance seems to be pretty solid, as far as one can tell by having just one person with nothing else on the screen.
The collision system seems a lot better, way more flexible and realistic body behaviour. The textures, great.

So, with having in mind this is an alpha: this looks like a good base to build a 2.0 upon it. And I think with all the experience made with VaM 1.x the job will be done faster and better. I'm confident.

😅:LOL:do you remember when the VaM 1.X alpha was released? Maybe this will give us an estimate on the progress of VaM 2.X...
Vam 1.0 was released July 21st, 2017. 1.20 was released 3 years and one month later.

But keep in mind : at the start, Meshed was working on VaM alone in his spare time. Now he's full time, and has a team to help!

Somehow I can't pledge to Meshed VR anymore. It keeps saying " This post is unavailable because your pledge payment for Meshed VR didn’t go through."

I have enough in my PayPal wallet and my credit-card isn't working aswell. Sometimes Patreon try to progress a payment of 29 euro's, then 50 euro's, then 9 euro's and after that 45 euro's each time when I do a pledge. I cancelled all my other pledges, without success. I also tried a old Patreon, without any active sub, without success.

Eventually I got through and said payment succesfully progressed and was happy. Went back to Meshed VR page and it said "Message locked". I went to my mail and saw that I payed for other pledges I didn't asked for.

So for now, I can't do anything nor try the new 2.0 version. Each time when something news comes out that I really want to try, this shit happens. I've been busy for a while now to solve this problem.

No VaM 2.0 for me, I really want to support this project. I'm contacting Patreon support how this can happen. Hopefully I can solve this issue and try out 2.0 this week!

Last edited:
Oh very cool, I haven't tried it yet as I was away from Vam for some time. I'm glad there even is an alpha already. I made my peace that it will take much longer to be where we want it to be. I will check it out once it gets a little more fleshed out so I won't get depressed like TToby ; D

*laughing* Lets wait till you have tried it! ;)

You will see it, you are amazed, you try around a bit, then you want to instantly use it instead of going back to VaM 1.x... but shit, you can't, and you know how long it has taken to get this far.
Then you most likely count the days till 2.x will be ready, like me.
Just kidding!

You will see it, you are amazed, you try around a bit, then you want to instantly use it instead of going back to VaM 1.x... but shit, you can't, and you know how long it has taken to get this far.
Then you most likely count the days till 2.x will be ready, like me.
Just kidding!

Exactly, right now I'm doing different things so I will give them more time for some more updates. As with the optimisation of current version it is not possible to throw more money at the problem to make it work smoother, I'm purposedly avoiding this new version for now, so I can enjoy current one a bit more. I'm amazed at how well my rig plays other stuff though, so I was catching up on games in my free times recently, putting my endless archivisation of models on hold : )

I tried it. The new features like pins for posing are very nice (even DAZ doesn't have that!), and the graphics are really nice, but other than that it's very much lacking in features. Looks like they're only about 5% done with the complete package. At this pace I don't expect it to be finished before 2025. Luckily VR is mostly dead, so there's no competition.

My biggest hope for 2.0 is a more user-friendly interface, because 1.0 just looks like an absolute dinosaur with its UI.

Last edited:
I think 5% is a very pessimistic guess. The work they have done is a HUGE portion of the game. I would say more than 50% of the work is already done. Possibly more than that.
You wouldn't say a fully working car was only 5% done because the interior was missing, that engine? It's rather important :)

I think 5% is a very pessimistic guess. The work they have done is a HUGE portion of the game. I would say more than 50% of the work is already done. Possibly more than that.
You wouldn't say a fully working car was only 5% done because the interior was missing, that engine? It's rather important :)
If I wanted to rotate and pose 6 default characters, I'd just use DAZ. Actually, DAZ gives me hundreds. There is zero possibility to change looks, clothes, make scenes, animate, nothing. 5% is a very good guess.

...I think much of what is in the Alpha is done by Unity itself ... the developers don't need to develop the engine.

But... i can be wrong. I don't know Unity so well and i haven't tried the Alpha.

At least... we have an Alpha that proves that the developers are working on something.

For now... all is looking good, for me.

Somehow I can't pledge to Meshed VR anymore. It keeps saying " This post is unavailable because your pledge payment for Meshed VR didn’t go through."

I have enough in my PayPal wallet and my credit-card isn't working aswell. Sometimes Patreon try to progress a payment of 29 euro's, then 50 euro's, then 9 euro's and after that 45 euro's each time when I do a pledge. I cancelled all my other pledges, without success. I also tried a old Patreon, without any active sub, without success.

Eventually I got through and said payment succesfully progressed and was happy. Went back to Meshed VR page and it said "Message locked". I went to my mail and saw that I payed for other pledges I didn't asked for.

So for now, I can't do anything nor try the new 2.0 version. Each time when something news comes out that I really want to try, this shit happens. I've been busy for a while now to solve this problem.

No VaM 2.0 for me, I really want to support this project. I'm contacting Patreon support how this can happen. Hopefully I can solve this issue and try out 2.0 this week!
check your payment methods. if the card is good remove the card reinput the data.. resolved my issue.

Ok I played around with the alpha a little more, VaM 1.x can go home. This is so much better. The lighting is really impressive, even the eyelashes are casting perfectly calculated shadows, god damn accurate. Also the light distance from very close to quite a distance away looks so well, meaning the intensity on the body. So more realistic. Playing around with the light is pure fun, this will definitely be a game changer.

The hair looks great, much more detailed without being edgy.
You can even see the veins on the eyeball throwing shadows, that's fucking impressive.

But the eye textures and the body textures have to improve I'd say. They look good but not stunningly good. Don't know what room there is anymore. I'd love to see more detailed body textures.

But yeah, I'm impressed.

//EDIT
If you put a light in the body the whole bodypart turns red like if you put your hand on a flashlight, wow ...
Look at this:

flashlight.jpg

The base is solid I'd say.
Constant 280-300fps even when throwing the person around like crazy. Only a change of ~25fps with maximum physics used.
I'd say all of you with "weak" hardware out there will benefit a lot from this.

//EDIT2
Just some more pictures:

Unbenannt-1.jpgUnbenannt-2.jpgUnbenannt-3.jpgUnbenannt-4.jpgUnbenannt-5.jpg

//EDIT3
I mean look at this, I made no editing to anything:

1vs2.jpg

That's v1.x vs 2 alpha, just if anyone is asking ...
That's like Windows 3.11 vs. Windows 7.
That's like T-800 vs. T-1000.
That's like ice cream vs. I scream.
I'm hooked. 😃

Last edited:
Have not tried the vam 2 alpha too much myself, but I also found that the lighting details were the most striking here, as HolySchmidt points out.
I'm very excited to see how shiny clothing like latex suits, leather leggings, shiny lingerie etc will turn out in this new engine :)
Having the ability to customize clothing like this was one of my main reasons for cheching out VAM :)

However I think VAM 1 is not so good on this matter, unless a light is reflected directly from the object. Adding the right skybox helps some with getting more lighting from the background and environment, but I have not found this to give optimal realism either.

But the eye textures and the body textures have to improve I'd say. They look good but not stunningly good. Don't know what room there is anymore. I'd love to see more detailed body textures.

Check out the "known limitations" section of the alpha release announcement. The textures are noted to be inadequate, and will be improved.

Yes it works in VR (for e atleast) you have to click the XR button once the game opens.

What I've seen so far looks amazing. I have a 3070 and the demo ran at a locked 90fps and that was without DLSS. Theres definetly a lot of potential in vam 2.x.

Back
Top Bottom