Question Any sort of VAR analyzer exist to see unused files?

SSwmun

Reactions
So does any sort of program exist that can scan files in a folder to see if they have been used recently? Anything specifics for VARS? Any useful programs that I might not have heard of as an attempt to clean my vam directory basically. Basically to select and move unused vars to a different folder, while keeping the ones that are actully used or opened every now and then.

Unfortunately not.
It is something we are desperately waiting for. I even made a request for a tool like this in the "request section".
It seems like this is something very difficult, and nobody wants to do this. Maybe because we are all waiting for the future VaM 2.0, that would rendering such a tool useless.
Please have a look at several similar threads and questions for some possible, but very time consumpting workarounds.
I would instantly pay 20€ to someone creating a good tool for this purpose, and I bet others would do tjis, too.

Upvote 0
Unfortunately not.
It is something we are desperately waiting for. I even made a request for a tool like this in the "request section".
It seems like this is something very difficult, and nobody wants to do this. Maybe because we are all waiting for the future VaM 2.0, that would rendering such a tool useless.
Please have a look at several similar threads and questions for some possible, but very time consumpting workarounds.
I would instantly pay 20€ to someone creating a good tool for this purpose, and I bet others would do tjis, too.
Unfortunate , but thanks for the reply.
I do know that I was able to use ccleaner to scan folders for duplicate files and managed to at least delete a bunch of vars that had been downloaded twice, even with slight name changes. That was useful but not enough, hopefully soon.

Upvote 0
The most dangerous thing for me is, if you are creating looks with morphs from different Var. Hoir or clothes would be the similar, but not that much dangerous.
Once you delete some Var, your own characters won't look the same anymore, and it is hard to find the single Var with the missing morph. This will put my own carefully done creations into danger!
For my best looks, I therefore use "Morph Merger", to merge all used morphs for a look into a single one (or better - two, for head and body). Though, this makes it hard to change the look afterwards.

The second thing is the way Vars are using other Vars as dependencies (which will have their own dependencies, too), even if they only will need a small part of it.
I have a nasty error message asking for a dependency with a "Lamborghini", for instance.
I am sure, I never ever have downloaded a scene with a sports car in it!
If you don't have many scenes and/or Var files, you could move away a certain ammount of Var, start your favourite scenes one after another, and have a look at the error messages, aso. Though, this is very cumbersom... and nearly impossible, if you have hundreds of them.

The questioned tool should be able to handle at least those two big issues... Maybe it is too complicated.

The Var system for sharing stuff is way better than what we had before... but, I doubt it was ever tested with hundreds of files and user created scenes before rollout. Unfortunately, I don't have a better solution. :(

Upvote 0
The issue I have is that some var packages have items that are missing. Even if I load it up and replace the missing item with something else, or simply delete the pointer to it (i.e. missing texture) and save that as a scene, I still get an error log full of messages about all the missing items I don't need anymore. That's because the scene I save still references the original package with the missing item link. I'd probably have to save the cleaned up scene as a package to get rid of it. If I move or delete the offending package, then just like you said, the character won't look like it did because the morph isn't saved in a scene, only a package. This seems really inconvenient. I downloaded Vamvarmanager, but it kind of made a mess of things by archiving unreferenced packages, but this broke the morphs as described. I had to put them back. It did clean up some duplicates, tho.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom