Question Any point using SSD for VaM?

subs4

Reactions
Textures especially take a lot of storage space. I was wondering if it makes any difference to run VaM from mechanical HD instead of SSD? I would move the whole folder to an old drive if so.

When opening a scene, it takes a long time loading assets but it cannot be disk read time, right? The data should be read from the M.2 drive in a fraction of a second and this is something else taking time?

I was thinking the same like you. HDD would do it like ever, no need for fancy modern SSD stuff. My System SSD was only 250GB, so absolutely no space for VAM. I have tons of stuff, so staring up VaM took as long as it lasts for me to brew a coffee. Then I build a new PC with lots of M.2 space and copied over my VaM folder... Its a HUGE speed boost. I would not go back. All load times are three times faster or more, if I have to guess. VaM feels like all new to me.

Upvote 0
I have noticed a big differeance between running VAM on an SSD vrs HDD. The load time with SSD is much faster, not fast but faster.

Upvote 0
I see. I wonder what's the catch then. From my very fast M.2 it loads a scene ages compared to the actual amount of data. I can copy the whole VaM folder in few seconds so I thought it certainly wasn't the actual reading of the HDD.

How can it take so long on such a fast HDD if it is the actual read time that makes us wait?

Upvote 0
You could try putting just the cache on an SSD. I've done it, but I haven't compared load times. Loading something like Gegecucu's Intimate Moment scene takes 2-3 minutes, I think.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
You could try putting just the cache on an SSD. I've done it, but I haven't compared load times. Loading something like Gegecucu's Intimate Moment scene takes 2-3 minutes, I think.
I would go the other way, and put VaM on the m.2 drive, and the VaM cache on your HD. I've done tests, and found the performance almost identical when the cache is on HD and SSD.

Virtual memory may also be a factor. Make sure Windows is auto-managing your page file size.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom