Question SSD and VAM

garibaldi18

Reactions
So am I pretty new still to VAM and solid state drives. I heard that SSDs load a lot faster than regular hard drives. My VAM load times are really slow. It's probably due to other factors and I understand things might work faster in 1.20, but I am wondering if putting VAM and its data on a SSD would speed things up?

Also, an unrelated question. I have Easy Mate and at this point have figured out which looks I like and which I don't. I really don't care how many male models I have, for example. If I delete these looks, and other components that I don't want, will it mess of VAM/Easy mate? I don't like to waste hard drive space by habit and that's my motivation here.

Thanks

I have a SS drive for VAM. It seems to load faster, but I have not had a non SSHD for VAM to really compare the two. I do notice faster loading of scenes now with 1.2. Most of my models have heavy skins so those are loading faster, though I believe it to be more 1.2 than my SS drive.

With Easy Mate I just moved over the items from my Download/Megasync folder to the appropriate VAM folders. I had already had a fair amount of stuff so I did not want everything Easy Mate had to offer. So, yes you should just pick and choose what you want. Just make sure you have the right textures for the looks you want.

Upvote 0
The biggest impact on the faster loadtimes in 1.20 is the changed texture load. Before the textures have been saved compressed and extracted each time on load. In 1.20 the textures are cached uncompressed after first load which is much faster on each subsequent load.
You can change the default caching directory on "user preferences - performance" also possible to put that directory to a other drive (chaching needs a lot diskspace). It has been reportet that if you change the chaching dir to a normal hdd there is not much performance difference compared to having it on a SSD. Regarding the normal VaM installation i suggest moving it to a SSD.

Upvote 0
there would be a notable gain to go from an SSD ( 500mb/se ) to a m2 ( 3000mb/sec ) ? or does the software limit these flows?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom