Add 'limiter' to new HUB accounts

RandomVAMUser

Reactions
Out of safety concerns (for users), maybe limit newly created hub account?

-how to limit?
Create special rank for new accounts.
Make new accounts as 'trial' with temporarily removed upload ability inside resources (maybe inside media section as well?).

-restricted until?
a) add cooldown (12-24h)
b) until account has posted X amount of messages (2-4)
c) maybe until account has given X amount of reactions (5-10)
d/yolo) restriction for new 'paid' accounts=can't upload inside paid section until X amount of free resources is posted (1-100?)

This way people can't simply create new account and start uploading right away (potentially harmful or offensive content).

Options (b) and (c) should promote more interactions, even after (a) check they still can't upload. 🤷‍♂️

Just the idea, after seeing some 'meta' content recently (with .exe and DLLs).

Spam hasn't really been much of an issue here. I can only think of 2 or 3 occurances since the Hub has been up. And when it does happen, it doesn't last long.

I suspect the solutions you're suggesting would make things worse, rather than better. Instead of just having to deal with a spam post, we'd be forcing spammers to also spam comments and reactions before the spam post they came to make.

Last edited:
I suspect the solutions you're suggesting would make things worse, rather than better. Instead of just having to deal with a spam post, we'd be forcing spammers to also spam comments and reactions before the spam post they came to make.
Fair enough, I can see it being double edged sword and more of a hassle...potentially.

It was idea, some sites/forums do have those types of restrictions.
By blocking site sections or attachments on posts (in case of forums).

But like you said...at least for now HUB is more spam "free", if compared to Discord.
On avg. i open it twice a week and more often than not all sections have "new" message. :ROFLMAO:
At the same time HUB tab is opened like daily with little to no bs.

Discord doesn't seem too bad anymore either. We added a few bots that spot and delete spam, and so far they seem to be working.

If spam on the hub really takes off, we'll need to do something. But it's rare enough now that it seems to me any "fix" we could apply would be more of a pain than dealing with a spam post every 6 months.

This has been implemented in part - not for media items but for the Paid resources categories. New user submissions in those categories now require moderator approval.

Back
Top Bottom