4090 bad visual effect

odeuus

Reactions
Hello to all,
I just got a new pc which is normally a beast: rtx 4090 trio, i9 13900 and 64 gb ram and m2 ssd.
Despite this I have many visual defects that appear, some kind of curves and lines appear in the scenes that move a lot, I specify that I am with a meta quest 2 with air link, I have tested several settings (oculus app, debug tool, nvidia setting and in the app vam) I can not find the source.
Would someone have a solution for me please, maybe someone with the same configuration had the same problem.
Sorry for my aproximate English I use a translator!
And thank for the help.

Last edited:
Can you post a screenshot?

Maybe you are in Edit mode and the lines are just some AnimationPattern atoms or Timeline plugins? If that's the case, then you likely just want to switch to "Play" mode.

Thank for your answer
Iam well in play mode, i took screenshots but we don't see the defects, maybe you have some settings to advise me ?

Last edited:
Can you take a picture with you phone and post it

I upgraded to 4090 from a 3080 last month, and have since been getting weird artifacts in dark scenes (usually scenes with an empty black environment). Hard to describe, but it's almost like a distorted and somewhat jagged white halo outline that warps into the black part of the screen from a colored or bight transition. It is sporadic so capturing a picture of it is tricky.

Not sure if it's the same issue you're having, odeuss? Seems to be most prevalent when scene assets are loading, but can still be seen at times afterwards. I had assumed it was either buggy nvidia drivers that hadn't been worked out, or more likely a problem with the oculus link software (I use airlink and a Q2), but haven't looked too hard into it yet. Have never seen anything like it outside of VAM, so I am extremely confident it is not a problem with the card itself.

It seems to be the same problem you describe Lmd87, indeed, it appears in the black areas. I did a mirror video and capture, but it did not appear. I will try to reinstall the nvidia driver, maybe that

Okay, so it only seems to happen to VAM specifically through Airlink. Starting VAM through virtual desktop (with SteamVR or not) produces none of the artifacts. Tried Alyx through airlink and had no artifacts in dark areas. Very strange. Not sure if using virtual desktop is a potential solution for you, odeuus, but for now at least it has fixed the issue for me.

If you do, I recommend following this guide to launch VAM without SteamVR in virtual deaktop. Should keep framerate roughly in line to what you're used to.

Do you have windows 10 or 11? I hesitate to switch to windows 11 to see if it removes this defect

I'm on W11, so no need to upgrade to test. It'll probably still be there.

Ok, I tested with virtual desktop and it works fine, no more problems, I'll stay like that

Yeah so I've had some issues ever since I got my new PC (RTX 4070ti, R7 7000x, 32gb RAM). This Rendering issue was not present on my old GTX 1070 PC so it probably has something to do with newer Graphics Cards and how VAM rendering engine works in VR on these newer cards. Here is a video I recorded with my phone on the Oculus Quest 2: (It's hard to explain so a visual representation is needed for this.)

I have tried a new VAM install, reducing graphic settings to potato quality, update drivers and still nothing seems to work
Since this rendering artifacts only happen in VR and nowhere else I suppose that it's a bug/glitch within VAM itself. (When VR rendering to monitor is turned on the visual artifacts are not visible on the monitor)
Also the bug happens all the time within a scene but, as seen in the video, this bug is seriously amplified when there are multiple Atoms within the scene that are animated. It is seriously flustrating and it makes the VR experience awful. Meshed pls fix...

Thats is exactly what i experiment too, i solved the problem using virtual desktop, it works perfectly

Well I don't have Virtual Desktop and I only use a Link Cable since the internet in my room is not the best. I also don't really want to buy virtual desktop just to be able to play VAM without the rendering glitch. I don't use VR that much so buying an app that I'll use a couple times (until they fix this on oculus directly) is not really something that I would do. Maybe I'll pass on playing VAM in VR for a while

I understand if you have bad connection, virtual desktop is really a good app, always updated, that gave me fps and resolution boost on every game, good value for the price. I hope for you this problem will be fix soon.

Well I don't have Virtual Desktop and I only use a Link Cable since the internet in my room is not the best. I also don't really want to buy virtual desktop just to be able to play VAM without the rendering glitch.
You could try ALVR meanwhile, its free, works perfect for me with quest 2

has there been anyone to figure this out? like a settings or something? im having the same issues after upgrading to 4070. its quite jarring. one of the reasons i upgraded was for vam so this is counter productive lol
this video matches my exact problem that dude posted.

has there been anyone to figure this out? like a settings or something? im having the same issues after upgrading to 4070. its quite jarring. one of the reasons i upgraded was for vam so this is counter productive lol
Yeah...... Well the "fix" is to play the game via virtual desktop. Its the easiest solution + vam runs a little better and is actually playable. Seems like its an issue with the 4000 Series of nvidia GPUs. A future driver might fix this.... Virtual Desktop is worth the price tho and you can throw away the link cable or just use it to charge your headset while playing

What headset are you using

Same issue here. Using a 4080 with a Quest 2. AirLink is definitely the worst. But sometimes I even see it a bit with the physical link cable connected too. Virtual desktop does seem to be free from it, but for some reason it also seems to make VAM less stable, even with all settings exactly the same. Would also love a solution that didn't involve Virtual Desktop if someone comes across something

What headset are you using
im still using oculus consumer 1 version lol. but i seriously never had problems on the 1080. so im guessing driver issue. im not sure what guys are talking about airlink and all that. i tried virtual desktop. it did nothing for me. maybe i wasnt using it right?
I was gonna upgrade the headset though. but now with this issue im guessing i might as well not now.

Well honestly @meshedvr is the only one who can do something about this but that would take time away from Vam 2.0;
Since it has something to do with the RTX 4000 series of GPU's and since the amount of users who actually own that + an oculus vr headset is not a lot, it could potentially not be worth it to fix the issue.
Hopefully someone finds a permanent solution soon though, because airlink is nice and all but you need a high internet signal on the headset in order to actually play VAM or any other VR game for that matter.

Back
Top Bottom