4090 bad visual effect

Yeah...... Well the "fix" is to play the game via virtual desktop. Its the easiest solution + vam runs a little better and is actually playable. Seems like its an issue with the 4000 Series of nvidia GPUs. A future driver might fix this.... Virtual Desktop is worth the price tho and you can throw away the link cable or just use it to charge your headset while playing

I have exact issue with Rift S + RTX 4090.

I bought Virtual Desktop from Steam and so far it doesn't fix the issue. But I was wondering if I bought the version from the Oculus store it might work better.

Were you able to resolve this with Virtual Desktop, and if so which version are you using (Oculus vs Steam vs other) ? Any specifics you can offer regarding your config would be helpful.

I have exact issue with Rift S + RTX 4090.

I bought Virtual Desktop from Steam and so far it doesn't fix the issue. But I was wondering if I bought the version from the Oculus store it might work better.

Were you able to resolve this with Virtual Desktop, and if so which version are you using (Oculus vs Steam vs other) ? Any specifics you can offer regarding your config would be helpful.
Yeah Virtual Desktop can be pretty confusing...

You have to buy it on the Quest store and download the streamer app from their website on your pc. I bought it on steam too at first but then I realised that doesn't do anything.
If you have less than two hours of playtime you should be able to get a refund. (If you don't plan to use the pc version)

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the details vamguy-0! I was hoping I'd be able to download virtual desktop from Oculus store without needing to create a Meta account. I've tried to race against the Oculus UI about 20 times to purchase Virtual Desktop in time but the timeout in the UI/Oculus software that nerfs the UI is not letting me. I get about 10 seconds in and then everything gets disabled when they prompts me to create a Meta account.

I don't trust Meta at all! I actually have advanced firewall settings enabled to block all outbound connections from the Oculus client, Oculus Platform, etc. to workaround the annoying popup that forces you to create a Meta account every 10 seconds during normal playtime. (I disabled the firewall rules to attempt my purchase Virtual Desktop, of course.)

In any case, I really appreciate your help, but this mandatory Meta account thing will make purchase of Virtual Desktop from oculus a non-starter for me.

I have a Pimax Crystal coming in a few days, so I think I'm going to wait this out and hope the issue doesn't occur with the Pimax.

.... Then think I will burn my Rift - S in symbolic protest to Meta when the new headset arrives :)

Thanks Again for the explanation!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-06-26 094109.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 094109.png
    126.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 094243.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 094243.png
    583.5 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2023-06-26 094741.png
    Screenshot 2023-06-26 094741.png
    209.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Same thing happens with Oculus Rift and 4070ti and latest drivers. VAM was a primarily reason for my upgrade. Looks like I either sell the 4070 at a loss & buy a 3080 or go back to my 1080ti until this gets sorted out (if ever).
Has anyone tried old drivers?

Same thing happens with Oculus Rift and 4070ti and latest drivers. VAM was a primarily reason for my upgrade. Looks like I either sell the 4070 at a loss & buy a 3080 or go back to my 1080ti until this gets sorted out (if ever).
Has anyone tried old drivers?
The fact that everyone on the internet says that Meta is the one that decides when we can upgrade to the 4000 series of Nvidia GPUs is absolutely bullshit. I upgrade when I want and when I do so I expect everything to just work after spending about 1000€ on a freaking graphics card. Even with Virtual Desktop I kinda stopped playing VAM in VR because it's just straight up bad. Maybe I have to get a better internet router or something but how tf am I the one who has to spend more money on a problem that shouldn't even exist in the first place? I mean yeah most people that play VAM on an older system in VR dream about playing on newer Hardware and experience some high quality scenes that VAM's community has to offer but nope.
I also considered to just put my GTX 1070 back in just so I can actually play VAM with the Link cable and just enjoy the experience but whatever....

Also I tend to believe that the issue does not come from the actual Nvidia Graphics Driver but from the Oculus software since Virtual Desktop basically bypasses it and the game still runs in VR mode on the exact same configuration just fine.(minus virtual desktop internet problems)

I don't know if anyone noticed but VAM is not the only game that suffers from those black artifacts. And it's not a Unity thing either since games from Unreal Engine have it too sometimes. (Not as bad as VAM though!)

Again we somehow have to get this issue over to Meta since it starts affecting more and more people on a daily basis and there isn't really something that we as a community can do about it other than spending more money on more programms that don't necesarily fix the problem but allows us to bypass it entirely.

Also I tend to believe that the issue does not come from the actual Nvidia Graphics Driver but from the Oculus software

I think Meta are trying really hard to get rid of having to deal with PCVR and focus on their flagship product and use-case (standalone vr) which so far has been disappointing for them, they've been losing billions on this reportedly.

It might be just me but I'm pretty confident they went even as far as intentionally slowing down and causing bugs for older headsets, similar to what Apple was doing with iPhones, to force people to buy the newer headset.

Again we somehow have to get this issue over to Meta since it starts affecting more and more people on a daily basis and there isn't really something that we as a community can do about it other than spending more money on more programms that don't necesarily fix the problem but allows us to bypass it entirely.

Likely they don't want it to work properly on PCs , they want to close that chapter. You can't just miss adding support to the latest gen of GPUs for over half a year lol.

@meshedvr ...please, oh please just look and see if this something you can help fix or point us to the problem in case someone can help find a fix!!
1689457752815.png

No 4090 here, but interested in helping. Be curious to know the results.

1) https://www.meta.com/help/quest/art...es/oculus-link/meta-quest-link-compatibility/

(40-- series listed as being currently unsupported by Meta.)

2) https://www.apollyonvr.com/oculus-tray-tool

(Try downloading the Oculus tray tool which can easily tweak your Oculus debug tool options.)

Maybe try messing with the ASW (Asynchronous space warp) setting, or even turning it fully off. Some people thought that was an issue with their 40-- series cards.

Other settings in there you could try too. I'd look that up on google- I just monkey-at-a-typewriter-ed mine by looking at guides, to make VaM behave in VR a while ago, I'm no pro at telling you what all of them do.

THIS....WORKED.

ASW seems to be the problem. That said, I had an old version of OTT installed and it didn't change anything at first. But after your post I decided to try again, downloaded the latest version and disabled ASW (no other changes) and the ugly black spikes are gone!

Thanks @AppetiteVisual !!!

2) https://www.apollyonvr.com/oculus-tray-tool

(Try downloading the Oculus tray tool which can easily tweak your Oculus debug tool options.)

Maybe try messing with the ASW (Asynchronous space warp) setting, or even turning it fully off. Some people thought that was an issue with their 40-- series cards.

Wow! You're kidding! It worked? o_O Hallelujah! Happy to help.

I think delving into VaM and its arcane-ness is good for honing your intuitive ability in general. I'll happily receive your 40-- series card as payment for this humble favor. :D Jk, enjoy!

@AppetiteVisual, yeah I can now 100% confirm, after testing a bunch of VARs, exited/restarted VAM, and I no longer have ANY of the glitchy black graphical "spikey" shapes. If I re-enable ASW I get all the glitches again. I feel so dumb that somehow my first try with OTT didn't change anything. It was an older version, and I am pretty sure I manually moved the OTT application folder without reinstalling it at some point. So I doubt it was even working at all. Once I (re)installed the latest version OTT (0.87.8.0) and set "Default ASW Mode" to Off, then started VAM 1.22 it just works like it should. No other changes whatsoever.
I will be boxing up my 4070ti and sending it to you...just as soon as I am done with it. ;) Thanks again! 🤜 🤛

@cdburnguy13 :cool: Heck yeah dude! That's great news that you tested it and the fix has held up. These VR things are pretty fiddly IMO.. Hard to tell if the hardware hacks are working or not, and there's so much overlap, and little feedback.

Hopefully the fixes we've written up will help someone else who dropped $$ on a 40-- just for VaM! Can't wait to get that card. :LOL:

Jesus... @AppetiteVisual you are a life saver. Just upgraded to 4070 mainly for VAM and thought I'd wasted my money, until I saw your suggestion, and it just worked. Couldn't thank you enough bro. Also, thank you @cdburnguy13 for testing it and confirming that it worked.

Back
Top Bottom