Question What is meta.json file?

redviking

Reactions
I'm used to download var files but once in a while some creators will have the file meta.json included for all their looks and/or scenes and will be in a zip file containing the folders saves and custom next to the meta.json file. Are we supposed to paste that in our vam folder everytime? So far I never had any trouble not adding it but I wonder if I should? But if I do its just going to replace the last one everytime. Should we bother with this?

I'm used to download var files but once in a while some creators will have the file meta.json included for all their looks and/or scenes and will be in a zip file containing the folders saves and custom next to the meta.json file. Are we supposed to paste that in our vam folder everytime? So far I never had any trouble not adding it but I wonder if I should? But if I do its just going to replace the last one everytime. Should we bother with this?
-don't extract .var files, simply put them inside AddonPackages

-each .var has own meta.json (legacy .vac files also have meta.json, but they are bit different & they usually go inside Saves/scenes)
you can open/read it with any text editor, basically it has all key info about package like:
packagename, creatorname, client version used when created, content info, dependencies, etc...

-however... if you downloaded .zip (not .var)
than maybe creator didn't actually package it (maybe they manually zip it from AddonPackagesBuilder)
or for some reason .var got converted to .zip on download

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yes its only an issue with zip files, like you said they didn't package it. Otherwise I have no issue with vars, simple drag and drop.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom