Answered So... what IS the SimSheet?

vamurai

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
vamurai
I am kicking around some ideas at the moment that involve these wonky little things, but it occurs to me that I am not entirely sure what they are. Is it a "clothing" like material unattached from a Person Atom? Is essentially a weird, little, unique CUA? Is it hard-coded into VAM as a very specific thing, all its own?

I guess I'm mainly wondering what all I can do with them. How big or small can I really make them? Is there a way to adjust its dimensions other than just "scale?" Are there any other things out there like it that act in a similar fashion? Are there CUAs out there that might be able to act like a SimSheet in how they interact with other Atoms in a scene (the animation, drag, gravity, etc.)

If this is all conveniently written in a tutorial that I've missed somewhere, by all means, point me in the right direction!

Is it a "clothing" like material unattached from a Person Atom?
that's my understanding of it

I think it was an experimental thing that never got to see too much action mainly because of the performance cost. I've seen it used in some scenes as a blanket and that was pretty much it.

guess I'm mainly wondering what all I can do with them. How big or small can I really make them? Is there a way to adjust its dimensions other than just "scale?"
i haven't played with it a lot but if it helps the physics tab options allow for more customization, distance scale for example increases the scale too. There's also the cloth grab atom which I think allows to pinpoint the cloth wherever it intersects with it, but i might be wrong on that, never actually tried it

Are there any other things out there like it that act in a similar fashion? Are there CUAs out there that might be able to act like a SimSheet in how they interact with other Atoms in a scene (the animation, drag, gravity, etc.)
I never seen assets that do cloth sim yet but there is this https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/ik-for-custom-unity-assets.12870/ that allows to repose and animate assets

Upvote 0
The way i see it (my understanding):
-think of a clothes with sim enabled (sim texture), but without any "anchors" to hold it in place (aside from clothGrab or floors, wall, etc...the usual)
-as you already know there is sim collision (once "activated"), same interaction as with sim clothes
-cloth physics settings are also similiar to sim clothes (and they mostly "work")
-overall scale is the only option to resize, but you can try playing around with textures (alpha)
i think there is some weird cut-off line when using alpha (can't remember), but that's the only alternative to change scale or shape

there isn't much info/documentation about it... added in v.1.16.0.0 (2019/03/27) ....basically first and last mentions of it as "ALPHA/WIP" feature :unsure:
Content:
· (Alpha) New SimSheet atom – still needs some work but have fun!
· (Alpha) New ClothGrabSphere atom – a short term solution to help pin the SimSheet atom or other clothing. https://trello.com/c/Ay885ENz

so what exactly it SimSheet? ...my guess(in laymans terms) some plane thin object(shape) with sim map enabled 🤣
something like this:

Upvote 0
If you try it out and find that the SimSheet stops flowing for no apparent reason, apparently some male hairs affect the simulation

Hahaha. So you REMEMBER that thread, do you?

Upvote 0
Thanks for the explanations. I think this answers most my questions about what SimSheet can and can't do, and maybe what it "IS." Haha.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom