• Hi Guest!

This is a notice regarding recent upgrades to the Hub. Over the last month, we have added several new features to improve your experience.
    You can check out the details in our official announcement!

What are these errors? [Solved]

Again, central directory error. You have a problem on your system that's for sure.
If the zip system sends that "cannot find central directory" it means it cannot read the list of all files. This could be triggered by a bunch of things, but the main one I have in mind is either a system/directory issue, or eventually a memory issue.I was thinking I had a memory issue as well maybe...Im going to install VAM on my other PC and run it on there...installing all the same VAR's
I was thinking a memory issue as well...but these same errors happened on a fresh install of Windows and a fresh install of VAM so I think that ruled out a software issue....as for the memory issue I will install it on my other PC with all the same VARs installed and see if I get the error...maybe one or two of my VARs are causing something weird to happen...IDK...my computer passes multiple memory tests but I would like to rule out a hardware issue with my PC....wont hurt to try

How much RAM do you have?
What's your storage? (HDD or SSD)
Did you try to check the health of the storage?

How much RAM do you have?
What's your storage? (HDD or SSD)
Did you try to check the health of the storage?
32Gb....VAM has its own 2TB WD SSD...Windows runs on a 2TB NVMe SSD...both are in good health via CrystalDiskInfo

Damn! Your problem is a bit complex :p

Could you give us any information about the scenes you're loading?
Are they heavy?

Are you noticing any weird behaviors on windows in general?
What is your windows version?

Damn! Your problem is a bit complex :p

Could you give us any information about the scenes you're loading?
Are they heavy?

Are you noticing any weird behaviors on windows in general?
What is your windows version?
Windows 11 Pro 23H2...Windows is solid...I load C&G, AlpacaLaps like scenes and simple animation scenes ...mostly to test out looks. No real heavy scenes...

Is it possible you have some over-zealous security software that is preventing Vam from accessing the drive?

Have you tried creating a clean (empty) install of Vam? Create a new folder, like Vam.clean. The only thing you copy in there is the Keys folder with your license, and the Vam updater. Run the updater to complete the install, then load the default scene. If that's OK, then go to the hub and download something simple, like one hair preset with no dependencies. Apply that hair preset to the model in the default scene. If that's OK, then try downloading something still simple, but with a few dependencies, like a look with a demo scene. If any of these steps fail, then you have something wrong with your system, IMO.

If you pass those tests, then I would start copying vars from the main install to the clean install. Do it in groups. Divide the main install vars up alphabetically, ABC, DEF, and so on. After copying each group of vars into the clean install, beat the crap out of it looking for failures. Of course, some of the vars you copy will have dependencies. Let it download those and keep banging on it. At some point, you'll hit a group that causes the errors. Delete that group, and start feeding the group members back in one at a time, or in smaller groups. Divide and conquer, sweep for landmines.

Is it possible you have some over-zealous security software that is preventing Vam from accessing the drive?

Have you tried creating a clean (empty) install of Vam? Create a new folder, like Vam.clean. The only thing you copy in there is the Keys folder with your license, and the Vam updater. Run the updater to complete the install, then load the default scene. If that's OK, then go to the hub and download something simple, like one hair preset with no dependencies. Apply that hair preset to the model in the default scene. If that's OK, then try downloading something still simple, but with a few dependencies, like a look with a demo scene. If any of these steps fail, then you have something wrong with your system, IMO.

If you pass those tests, then I would start copying vars from the main install to the clean install. Do it in groups. Divide the main install vars up alphabetically, ABC, DEF, and so on. After copying each group of vars into the clean install, beat the crap out of it looking for failures. Of course, some of the vars you copy will have dependencies. Let it download those and keep banging on it. At some point, you'll hit a group that causes the errors. Delete that group, and start feeding the group members back in one at a time, or in smaller groups. Divide and conquer, sweep for landmines.
I am going to try it on a different PC 1st to rule out a hardware problem...if I get the errors on the new PC then I will do exactly what you recommend to try and find the issue..."divide and conquer, sweep for landmines"...yes sir.

@hazmhox I think you should unmark this question as solved. We haven't gotten to the bottom of this yet.

Even better, I'm moving this to help. Q&A is generally more a straight forward yes/no forum. Here we're going deep into a software/hardware "helpdesk" situation, it's highly unlikely it will benefit anyone since baldee's problem is probably very rare.

[...] Delete that group, and start feeding the group members back in one at a time, or in smaller groups. Divide and conquer, sweep for landmines.

I'd got even "easier" to ensure there is something wrong with the var files:
  • Another clean install of VAM
  • Grab the SAME scene that triggers those errors and ONLY that scene and its dependencies
If no error triggers > you have an issue with some of the vars potentially
Then from there, Slimer's solution is the way to go in your normal install, divide in groups, try to find the culprit.

Last question: how much var do you have? how big is your VAM install?

I'd got even "easier" to ensure there is something wrong with the var files:
  • Another clean install of VAM
  • Grab the SAME scene that triggers those errors and ONLY that scene and its dependencies
If no error triggers > you have an issue with some of the vars potentially
Then from there, Slimer's solution is the way to go in your normal install, divide in groups, try to find the culprit.

Last question: how much var do you have? how big is your VAM install?
I'm going to test this install of VAM on my other PC tomorrow...if I get the same errors I will follow your and SlimerJSpud's instructions to try and find the issues...

My VAM install right now is 57.6 GB ------ 493 VAR's

I have 5,000 vars taking 139 GB, and I don't have this problem.

I'm curious about this file in one of your errors: LO.[Hair]PonyTail.3.var. Did you get that file from the hub? I have version 1 of that file, but that creator is not on the hub anymore. Do you have a lot of files that did not come from the hub?

I have 5,000 vars taking 139 GB, and I don't have this problem.

I'm curious about this file in one of your errors: LO.[Hair]PonyTail.3.var. Did you get that file from the hub? I have version 1 of that file, but that creator is not on the hub anymore. Do you have a lot of files that did not come from the hub?
That file came from his Patreon...I have looks and scenes from Patreon...I know a lot of them arent on the HUB anymore.

Update: I installed VAM on my other PC and also all the VAR's...I am still getting the errors...so that rules out a hardware issue.

Now I will do what hazmhox and SlimerJSpud recommended to see if I can figure this out.

Update:

I think I figured it out...all these VARs that are triggering these errors were on a old external hdd that was failing...when I transferred them to a new hdd I believe they may have been corrupted.

I use a ZIP program called PeaZip...it will open the zip but all the files are 0 kb even though the zip shows normal size...so when I opened them I thought they were not corrupted at the time...when I use Windows Zip or 7Zip they wont open at all.

I lost about 150 VARs 🤬...A lot were Patreon...so frustrating.

2.jpg
3.jpg
1.jpg

Back
Top Bottom