• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question Went from Ryzen 1700x with a 1080 to 3700x and 2070s then to 5800x with 3070 to a 3080 TI

Battletoad08

Reactions
All those upgrades and gained around 10fps... Going from a Ryzen 1700x and a GTX 1080 I was excited to see what VAM did on a 3700x and a RTX 2070 super. I gained like 4 frames per second... Couldnt believe it and many tweaks did nothing. Well I upgraded to a Ryzen 5800x with a RTX 3070 and seen ZERO change at all. Well last night BestBuy had a camp out to get a card in the morning and I ended up with a RTX 3080 TI...
I benchmarked about 7 games before I took the 3070 out and tried the 3080 TI. I easily gained 30 to 80 frames on most games.

Guess How many I gained in VAM? about 3.... 3 average and I tested the same scenes, same settings and everything. What a joke.

How do you go from a 3700x to a WAY faster 5800x CPU and gain zero... Then go from a RTX 2070 super to a RTX 3080 Ti and gain 3fps???

Neither the CPU or the GPU get no where near 100% usage, maybe cpu 20% and the gpu 60-70% This doesn't even make sense....

Last edited:
21 years ago I was helping my GF (of that period) to temporary solve her problem when she rented for work a beautiful new flat. The little studio (16mq) in wich she was receiving her patients was near the same wide as the room in wich I have now my desktop. The same relat. critic situation we were sharing: a flat on the top floor, naturally more hot than the rest of the house.

She was buying a mobile climatizer, with optional patented water circuit (a DeLonghi pinguino), needing only a tube for taking out the ambient hot and a little 100mm hole in a external door/window (there was small plastic cup for the closing during the winter). With this single mobile apparat she could refresh very well the full living room and the bedroom ... totally around 80mq, besides the studio whose door she was closing in the late afternoon.
There is no way to use a good mobile climatic with real efficient results if you can't take out the hot it must disperse (at worst putting the tube in another room and closing the best you can your ambient), same as for a pc, doesn't really matter, because of thermo dynamic obvious motivations, if air or liquid cooled.

Working often during my life in climatized ambient... now I absolutely hate cold artificial temp and at home I try to survive those 2 months in wich the summer is quite warm during the day in this zone near the north of Italy. The fact is that if I dare to close during a hot worst summer day the door of my studio, playing vam I can get fast more than 30°c in the room. That is not so terrible considering I can keep the average 65° max 70°c of my nice 3070, but spending time like this it would be masochist.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
She was buying a mobile climatizer, with optional patented water circuit (a DeLonghi pinguino), needing only a tube for taking out the ambient hot and a little 100mm hole in a external door/window (there was small plastic cup for the closing during the winter). With this single mobile apparat she could refresh very well the full living room and the bedroom ... totally around 80mq, besides the studio whose door she was closing in the late afternoon.
There is no way to use a good mobile climatic with real efficient results if you can't take out the hot it must disperse (at worst putting the tube in another room and closing the best you can your ambient), same as for a pc, doesn't really matter, because of thermo dynamic obvious motivations, if air or liquid cooled.

This even sounds how I remember my boss naming the company name. This might be it. I don't really mind trying that artificial low temp, I don't have much experience spending time in such environment yet. It would be a bliss really considering how hot and dusty my work can get. Furthermore I prefer to use VaM in VR in my bed for max comfort.
Back in the day I used to open the windows fully in winter to cool my pc and gamed in ridiculously cold room, so this should do fine. Research inbound. There is not much summer left in the Netherlands, but it will be back next year so it's along time investment.
I can try to work something out for the pipe to get it out by the window, I don't want to subject my flatmates to even more summer heat suffering that they are already going through lol

Upvote 0
@LooksHunter Like Keycode said, for a mobile AC it is very important to buy one that has a flexible pipe leading out the hot air. There are many cheap so called air coolers without an output pipe in German electronic shops (I guess same as in the Netherlands), that are completely rubbish. Waste of money!
If it has no output pipe, it is not the real thing, because cooling the air will create heat, too. Best would be an even more expensive AC with a inner and an outer unit... but those are really expensive.
I once had a good mobile AC, big as a small refrigerator, with a 2m flexible pipe, before we've got stationary ones. It was not very effective in a big open room, but I think it will be enough for a small and closed room for maybe 10 degrees less. I didn't wanted to cut a hole in one window, so I had build a very simple plywood case to put it in the gap of an european angular top-opened window (you know what I mean) with a cheap pipe connector screwed to the side. The output air is real hot, more than the room's temperature. The wood box was important to not let the air floating back into the room.
Nevertheless... if you will need a room ventilator to cool your PC at maybe 30-40 degrees celsius room temperature, I would strongly suggest to re-organize your PC cooling. We could surely help with that.
Warning: Many people in northern Europe can't stand being in climated rooms for long. Burning eyes, hurting head and throat, and sore sinuses. It's the same for me.

EDIT: OK, I just went down to the garage to look after the old AC. Its name is "Einhell MKA 2500". It is an old type, but maybe you can look at the technical details to compare.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
@TToby damn I see it will be a clunky installation. My room is very small as it is. A bed on one side and a desk on the other, with like 1x2m space in between. Maybe it's something to consider once I finally move rooms. Just the fan or portable heater for winter clogs the space a lot. It is hectic at work now so I had no chance to get the boss to send me the details of the unit he mentioned.
Weather is very chaotic in the Netherlands, it is rarely very hot for long so I should be able to hold out until I research a proper solution. For now I play with settings, I gave up trying to run VaM on max settings at all times and optimise scenes a lot. I make a break if it gets way too hot, which actually does not happen with VaM that much, but was unbearable when I tried to play Walking Dead Saints and Sinners on maxed out settings. Entire system became very sluggish and I had sweat dripping down my forehead. That was when I decided to remove my glass panel and put room fan directly at the case. I didn't have as many issues since, but I bet it is not the wisest solution, but hopefully nothing will go wrong with the rig until I get something installed.

Initially it didn't even cross my mind that heat management would become an important part of vr experience, but it really is, with headset strapped to the face it really is something to consider

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom