Video guide for advanced clothing Imports without deformation

Guides Video guide for advanced clothing Imports without deformation

mopedlampe

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
mopedlampe
mopedlampe submitted a new resource:

My routine for clothing imports with custom morphs - some things can't be archived with regular imports, here is how i do it

First of all: I am no pro so i don't know if there is a better solution for this, but this is how i do it and it works for me.

This tutorial requires some basic knowledge of blender or any other 3d modeling software, i won't go into detail with the modeling part...
This is mainly aiming for people who already imported a clothing item or two or at least know a little bit about it.

Use case: I really like the cyberpunk mantis blades but i hate setting up cua's, so i want to Import the mantis...

Read more about this resource...

Thank you for showing me the way, but there is a problem that has been bothering me for a long time, especially when I want to make a pair of slippers. As follows:
originally it should look like:
1640802177305.png

but I in Blender left under the big toe of a vertex in its place, and all the other body vertex G2 model after moving up far away,
QQ截图20211230022648.png

then the deformation import VAM, apply the deformation and then import the shoes came, simply cannot bear to look at,
QQ截图20211230021724.png

QQ截图20211230021749.png

I also don't know why. Can you help me out?

this is all highly experimental and definitely not what meshedvr intended with the clothing import 😅
so there are some limits.
for example i wanted to do gun holsters where the guns rest left and right next to the torso that can't be applied with a normal clothing import because of the huge deformation. i tried everything but got a similar result like your flipflop so i finally gave it up.
also with the mantis blades i got a problem when i tried to include the lower part under the arm. this area gets flattened on import and i don't know why to be honest, so i did this with the regular import.
I think there is a problem as soon as you have a clothing item that wraps around a body part too much, so i think the flip flop may not be possible. maybe if you separate the sole from the top or use more surface area to stick on, the result might be better, but this is just a guess.
Also vam seems to make a difference on which body part you stick something to, so you could also try to stick it to the toe nail for example

this is all highly experimental and definitely not what meshedvr intended with the clothing import 😅
so there are some limits.
for example i wanted to do gun holsters where the guns rest left and right next to the torso that can't be applied with a normal clothing import because of the huge deformation. i tried everything but got a similar result like your flipflop so i finally gave it up.
also with the mantis blades i got a problem when i tried to include the lower part under the arm. this area gets flattened on import and i don't know why to be honest, so i did this with the regular import.
I think there is a problem as soon as you have a clothing item that wraps around a body part too much, so i think the flip flop may not be possible. maybe if you separate the sole from the top or use more surface area to stick on, the result might be better, but this is just a guess.
Also vam seems to make a difference on which body part you stick something to, so you could also try to stick it to the toe nail for example
Thank you very much can you give me the above Suggestions, I also try to put the warped vertices on the toenails, feet waiting a lot of places, the end result is a wide variety of distortion, at the same time I also try to warp more vertices, but since there will always be some deformation quadrilateral, so after import shoes will always exist different degree of deformation. After so many tests, I initially found some rules. One is that only when the imported clothes leave a distance from the character's skin can they have a good effect. Another is that no matter how far the vertices that do not want to affect the imported objects are pulled, there will always be a part of them connected with the wrapped vertices, thus affecting the effect.
My English is not very good, I hope you can understand it, thank you again for your answer, I also hope you can share with me any new research progress, thank you!

Just a heads up. I could only make this work by applying the custom morph and checking "wrap to morphed verts" before importing the clothing. No idea if I got the dumb or what, but only this way it worked for me.

Is this the same method used for internal clothing to like the android parts? And if it is, How would I go about making sure elbows and knees don't separate during movement?

Hello man, Hope your doing well.

I need some advice on this chest plate im trying to import as clothing.
What faces are good for this model

Breast plate.PNG

Hello man, Hope your doing well.

I need some advice on this chest plate im trying to import as clothing.
What faces are good for this model

View attachment 255150
I don't think I would do this as a stiff import at all, but you can try 2 different approaches:
1st I would try to mark the breasts (by selecting all faces with the breast and nipple Material) and move them really far forward. Save this as a custom clothing import morph so the breastplate should ignore the breasts and don't wiggle with the boobs, but is still connected to the rest of the upper torso so it stretches with the movements.
2. If it really needs to be completely stiff, the best solution is to find either a spot along the center line of the upper chest that is seemingly 100% flat or you can also use a spot on the spine and reduce the offset after import so much that you push it to the front of the model after import. There is at least one spot at that height on the spine where I already attached a lot of stuff like the back mounted weapons of the elf, the backpack of the adepta or the torso of Adam smasher. But the more custom morphed your model is, the higher the chance is that you also deform your anchor points. In the case of the adepta for example she is quite custom morphed, but I basically manually resetted all the anchor points in blender to make sure it doesn't deform the faces that I used to import the backpack, gauntlets, shin guards etc. So the process behind it is always the same, you just have to get a little creative sometimes to find out what works best

If anyone is having issues with this, first, make sure you have the Mesh Resolotuion set to Base on your DAZ G2 model before you export out to Blender. Otherwise, you will get an error when you import your new morph.
Next, make sure you have the right Blender version. I think 3.0.1 was one of the last versions that has Keep Vertex Order and Polygroups, which is required for creating DAZ morphs.

tl;dr
Set Mesh Resolution to Base in DAZ before exporting your G2 model out to Blender.
You need Blender 3.0.1

Hope this helps someone. :D

Last edited:
tl;dr
Set Mesh Resolution to Base in DAZ before exporting your G2 model out to Blender.
You need Blender 3.0.1

Hope this helps someone. :D
Hey bud, you are right about the genesis model, it has to be base resolution without any subdivisions, otherwise it won't work.
But it doesn't require a specific blender version, the current blender version also does vertex order, it just looks a little different compared to the version I used when I made the tutorial. For example im using 3.4x right now, works fine.

Another thing I want to emphasise is, that you don't really "need" this tutorial anymore, because the Re wrap plugin from stopper now does the heavy lifting for you so it's way easier now. I already told him that I plan to do a new tutorial on this topic, mainly aimed on using his tool and what you can do with it but I just don't have the time at the moment... But it will come sooner or later

Thanks for the clarification, mopedlampe! I have searched, but was unable to find the Keep Vertex Order or Polygroups in 3.4.x, so I rolled back to the version I knew worked. That and somewhere around v3.3+ killed functionality of one of my legacy plugins. Used for importing .dff files (GTA III, SV and VC). Kind of sucks needing to have 7 different Blender installs just to be able to keep backwards compatibility. I will do more research to try and figure out where they moved those two important checkboxes. Until then, I am stuck with 3.0.1. 😔
You and Stopper are both Legends. 🙏

1689801114442.png

Yeah, i got all kinds of plugins in my old blender install which can read nearly anything, i also keep that installations just for file converts but i work in the newer blender builds. But to be honest if you do only basic stuff, it doesn't really matter

This is such an amazing, massively underrated tutorial from a brilliant mind. Wish more people would make use of it. I come back here from time to time, just to watch the bonus scene, where it all comes together. For me to say that this is just simply amazing, is a collosal understatement.

Back
Top Bottom