VAR Import wizard - Simplified and CONSISTENT importing

fubar_life123

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Patreon
fubarLife123
VAR Import wizard - Simplified and CONSISTENT importing
Some content creators have their own system for organizing files including VAR files (which is fine), often creating sub-folders in the AddonPackages folder. Although it makes sense to them to organize things in this manner, it introduces unintended side-effects such as duplication, conflicts and bloat. I think a better system is to allow VaM to manage importing to ensure consistent experience with all game resources whether scene files, plugins, Unity assets, morphs, clothing, etc... Everything is imported and treated the same to minimize duplication, conflicts and bloat. An import wizard is much better than simply dropping files into a folder without knowing what your dealing with. A wizard would handle the "plumbing" for us.

Attachments

• Screenshot (93).png
    Screenshot (93).png
    317.1 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot (91).png
    Screenshot (91).png
    333.7 KB · Views: 0
The whole idea behind var files is that you're not supposed to import them. That way, if you ever share a scene or look, you can reference the var, rather than packing up all that content and distributing it again. the "every asset used in a scene must be distributed in the scenes" thing is what made the vac file system so bloated.

The whole idea behind var files is that you're not supposed to import them. That way, if you ever share a scene or look, you can reference the var, rather than packing up all that content and distributing it again. the "every asset used in a scene must be distributed in the scenes" thing is what made the vac file system so bloated.
...That I understand. The location of these resources is, in reality, irrelevant. VAR makes the repository modular using something like symbolic links. My argument isn't "importing" in the traditional sense. It is how the VAR files are assimilated into the game repository, so to speak. I have found some creators encourage the creation of sub folders in the AddonPackages folder. This resulted in duplication errors when unwittingly dropping a VAR package that already exists in the main folder. The other thing I have been noticing is that some creators are manually editing the 'meta.json' files and/or editing the var package file name "post creation" by VaM VAR wizard, which results in "invalid VAR package" error messages being thrown as a result. I know, because I had to manually correct a few when I noticed the typos, which are not always easy to spot, BTW... This is what I mean by it is still (in it's current state) too open-ended, lending itself to failures like this.

If someone simply changes the VAR package name, that is enough to prevent the package from loading. This is a headache for most people who don't have a lot of time to debug things like this and, more importantly, no experience with programming! I think VAR packages are a brilliant system, but there are still some leaks that need to be plugged for it to be a more robust solution. 90% of the time I'm doing some kind of file maintenance instead of enjoying the scenes. If one character is off in the file name or meta file, the package doesn't load... This is what begs for a tighter export/ import process. And again, by import, I don't mean into the 'custom' folder. And you may be tempted to say that it shouldn't happen that frequently to warrant such an elaborate soltution. Believe me, it does!! I'm embarssed to say how much time I spent working this out!

A wizard would, for example, warn of duplications at the time of import, and not a few days later when you have imported other packages that are also duplicates, creating a lot of clean-up later on! A wizard would also warn of inconsistent data that would cause conflicts or broken links, again, at the time of import and not a few days later, allowing the pile of errors to accumulate over time. We need a wizard to warn us immediately if there are issues. Simply dropping a file in a folder does not provide us this "intelisense" type function. Call it smart importing if you will! This also provides an opportunity to reachout the content creators immediately to fix the errors (if they cannot be fixed by the user), reducing the number of effected people by isolating the problem quickly.

There also needs to be some sort of file maintenance utlity to help clean-up issues with the old filing system such as duplication and broken links. An additional function that would be a "godsend" would be to convert (and delete) legacy VaM files to the newer .vap format. I'm still learning how to program. I would like to take a crack at it. But if someone with more experience is willing to tackle this problem, it would certainly spare many users from headaches!

Ah, i misunderstood. Yeah, you raise good points here.

I struggle with var file organization and the best way how to sort them. Is there any suggestion to handle this trouble?

I struggle with var file organization and the best way how to sort them. Is there any suggestion to handle this trouble?
No reason to resurrect a really old thread that is only vaguely related. There's plenty of threads around with that kind of question in the forum, or you can go to Discord too.

Back
Top Bottom